Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    My unpopular opinions on health and fitness are:

I think there is a quality of addictiveness to sugar/sweetners. Food manufacturers know this, else they wouldn't add so much to processed foods to increase consumption and sales. It's not like heroine addiction, but it is there in our brain chemistry.

There is healthy food and there is junk food. The people living on fresh meats, fresh veggies, whole grains, etc are going to be healthier than the people living on fast food, twinkies, and soda. That said, you can still enjoy both in proper moderation, but moderation means something vastly different between the two.

Too bad none of us are coming out of this alive.

True, but eating junk food in limited quantities will tend to make you healthier during your time here.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    Options

I think there is a quality of addictiveness to sugar/sweetners. Food manufacturers know this, else they wouldn't add so much to processed foods to increase consumption and sales. It's not like heroine addiction, but it is there in our brain chemistry.

There is healthy food and there is junk food. The people living on fresh meats, fresh veggies, whole grains, etc are going to be healthier than the people living on fast food, twinkies, and soda. That said, you can still enjoy both in proper moderation, but moderation means something vastly different between the two.

I would agree with this to a point. I think a sedentary person eating a diet of healthy foods is not likely to be healthier than a person who is active but eats a lot of junk food.
    I can also agree with this to a point. It's going to catch up with most people down the road, one way or another. For me personally, knee pain/arthritis resulting from a MVA 17 years ago is worse in my forties if I eat like garbage for a week or more at a time.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

True, but eating junk food in limited quantities will tend to make you healthier during your time here.
    Great. We agree: "That said, you can still enjoy both in proper moderation..."
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Great. We agree: "That said, you can still enjoy both in proper moderation..."

Yep, and for most people, that moderation is 10-15% of total calories. Unfortunately not the definition of moderation many people go by.

The CDC suggests a limit of about 15% of daily calories from these types of foods.
    https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/resources/2015-2020_Dietary_Guidelines.pdf
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Living on it is the key word there.
  • lavachickie
    lavachickie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Blaming your metabolism is such a cop-out.

Nothing drives me crazier than someone telling me they can't lose ANY weight because their metabolism is too slow. It's simple, CICO. Yes there are cellular differences in how your body metabolizes things, but at the end of the day, if you burn 2000 calories and only put in 1500, you're going to lose weight. Your metabolism is not some magical thing that defies the laws of thermodynamics.

Yea, but see... this depends upon personal responsibility, and placing the onus for owning the reality and investing in the work necessary to see change. And lawd knows a lot of people don't like THAT.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options

Ah, but you're looking at the destination, instead of looking at the quality of the journey. :-)

Quality is relative.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Options

Ah, but you're looking at the destination, instead of looking at the quality of the journey. :-)

Quality is relative.
    But even relativity is based on a constant. :D
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    dubble818 wrote: »
    Probably going to get some flak for this... but jumping on an elliptical or a treadmill for an hour of steady state cardio is pretty much a complete waste of time

By who's standards?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options

Quality is relative.

Yup death is pretty constant.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    edited June 2017
    Options

Quality is relative.

Yup death is pretty constant.
    According to many it's relative. :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.