Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    fvsp1213 wrote: »
    Lizarking wrote: »
    exercising to lose weight is dumb. Especially spending time on a treadmill to justify a candy bar.

I'm a very short older woman. If I didn't exercise on my treadmill, I'd have the paltry caloric allowance of 1200 calories to create a 150 calorie deficit since my maintenance for being sedentary is 1,350 calories.

I don't want to eat like a toddler.

Can't say enough how awesomely true for me this is.

My (maybe) unpopular opinion:

Maybe you can eat crap food (hamburgers, soda, ice cream (weep a little), candy bars, milk shakes) and make it all fit into your calories for the day, but food is fuel for me, and my body doesn't function properly when I feed it garbage. Good for you if you can make it work. But I actually doubt even you (whoever you are) can make that work for a lifetime of health.

A hamburger is bread, meat, and maybe some toppings. A body can easily use bread and meat as fuel. It's carbohydrates, protein, and fat -- three things I'm eating every day anyway. Also consider the micronutrients it contains like iron, B12, potassium, and B6 and I'm confused as to why anyone would think a hamburger is "garbage."

I'd call hamburgers from McDonald's "garbage" in that their taste is vastly inferior to the burgers I make myself or get at local, non chain restaurants.

I tend not to call food other people eat a derogatory term. It tends to make you look more superior than you actually are. That's my unpopular opinion. *shrug*

What if it's light beer?

What's the difference between having intercourse in a canoe and light beer?

Nothing - they are both *kitten* close to water.

Now you look more superior than you actually are. Or so I've heard. ;)

*I like water. I find it refreshing.

An old joke my Brit friends continually poke at me and my American beer. I enjoy alcohol in all forms. Light beer is just easier to down in warmer climates.

...and who doesn't enjoy *kitten* close to water?
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    exercising to lose weight is dumb. Especially spending time on a treadmill to justify a candy bar.

I'm a very short older woman. If I didn't exercise on my treadmill, I'd have the paltry caloric allowance of 1200 calories to create a 150 calorie deficit since my maintenance for being sedentary is 1,350 calories.

Maybe you can eat crap food (hamburgers, soda, ice cream (weep a little), candy bars, milk shakes) and make it all fit into your calories for the day, but food is fuel for me, and my body doesn't function properly when I feed it garbage. Good for you if you can make it work. But I actually doubt even you (whoever you are) can make that work for a lifetime of health.

A hamburger is bread, meat, and maybe some toppings. A body can easily use bread and meat as fuel. It's carbohydrates, protein, and fat -- three things I'm eating every day anyway. Also consider the micronutrients it contains like iron, B12, potassium, and B6 and I'm confused as to why anyone would think a hamburger is "garbage."

I'd call hamburgers from McDonald's "garbage" in that their taste is vastly inferior to the burgers I make myself or get at local, non chain restaurants.

I tend not to call food other people eat a derogatory term. It tends to make you look more superior than you actually are. That's my unpopular opinion. *shrug*

What if it's light beer?

An old joke my Brit friends continually poke at me and my American beer. I enjoy alcohol in all forms. Light beer is just easier to down in warmer climates.

Indeed. It's hot here. Why would I drink heavy beer by the pool when it's 102 degrees and 98% humidity? Nothing against "real" beer, but there's a time and place for everyone.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member

What if it's light beer?

Few things beat Bud Light for a darty.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Oh, I remembered another unpopular opinion of mine.

There's nothing wrong with an occasional cleanse or juice fast. It shouldn't be approached as a weight loss technique in and of itself, nor should it be looked upon as the magical pill to whatever ails you. But is it a useful tool to some people in some cases? Yes. Will it cause long-term damage to your health and well-being? Probably not, but ask your doctor.

Someone near and dear to me will occasionally do a week-long lemonade cleanse as a jump-start to a training season, if he's feeling unmotivated or sluggish. It helps him to focus on food as fuel and makes him feel centered with his body or something. I think it's probably BS, but who am I to judge what works for him and gets the thumbs-up from his doctor?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member

In the context of that post, it didn't seem to be about taste. The statement was made that the individual's body wouldn't function properly on hamburgers. Given that everybody has different tastes, I think blanket statements about whole types of food being "garbage" don't make much sense. A McDonald's hamburger isn't for me or for you, that's fine. But many people do genuinely enjoy them.

For $2.50 I can get 730 calories 33g fat 77g carbs 38g protein and 4g fiber. that's less than 1/3 of my daily calories and hits my macros quite handily. I'll need to do better the rest of the day for my micros and nutrients, but my macros are good
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    The only foods I am seeing as garbage food lately are some of the gluten-free replacements for regular foods that I have in the house. My gluten-free bread is seriously garbage. It doesn't taste good and has little nutritional merit. I see it as an empty filler and have no reason to eat it anymore. Same goes for gluten-free burger buns - they are garbage PLUS they fall apart, making them useless. I am so pissed at gluten free bread today! lol. Thanks for letting me vent. I need to cleanse my pantry of this crap and just eat my burgers in a lettuce wrap and/or with a knife and fork. Or stop being lazy and make some good GF bread.

I made a really nice GF lasagna last week using zucchini strips for the noodle layers. Much better than the rice noodles (which, in my mind are nutritional zeros on top of being hard to handle when they stick together).

I have been seeing it reported a lot lately that people who are maintaining GF pantries are showing higher levels of arsenic in their blood due to so much more rice in their diet. This may be part of my issue with my ricefoods.
  • michaelwaglay
    michaelwaglay Posts: 4 Member
    Don't go to the gym.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    tomteboda wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    My unpopular opinion is that calorie counting is a temporary learning tool, not a "lifestyle." It's like training wheels on a bike...they can get you comfortable, but eventually one should just be able to ride.

I think that's great for people whose bodies tell them "ok, enough". For some of us, a lifetime of failing at intuitive eating suggests that we're going to need those training wheels for a very, very long time. Being off by even 100-200 calories a day can have disasterous long-term effects.

Yeah, I know...that's why it's an unpopular opinion...I think I'm one of the very few people here who have it.
  • lostinwebspace
    lostinwebspace Posts: 99 Member
    If McDonalds sells it... It's fast food... that's the definition of fast food..

Happy Meal Toys? :P
This discussion has been closed.