Foods with shocking high cals

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Burger buns. 300-400 calories on average. Also a super easy way to cut 3-400 calories from your day.

What buns are you getting? I just get whatever whole wheat buns at Sprouts Market (Nature's Own) and they're 130 calories.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Nuts in general. Not necessarily surprising but it's stupid

Yeah, nuts should be way less. It's not fair.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    nuts and avocados
  • Big_YEET
    Big_YEET Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    Ketchup. One little packet is 20 calories.

20 cals? That's nothing. Well I guess it depends on how many calories you're working with.

Well typically you're not just using one packet. When I get fries I'm using 3 or 4 packets. That's a lot of calories for something that's made out of tomatoes.
  • Big_YEET
    Big_YEET Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any sit down restaurant meal or dessert. I can't fathom how they can possibly be so calorific. I've tried to figure it out a few times and the only conclusion I can come to is that they just soak literally everything in concentrated sugar + lard. Even the "light" options on the menu will be like 650 calories for a piece of chicken and a side of veggies. Like how the hell? That should be 300 MAX.
  • eyer0ll
    eyer0ll Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Tuffaknee wrote: »
    Pretty much any sit down restaurant meal or dessert. I can't fathom how they can possibly be so calorific. I've tried to figure it out a few times and the only conclusion I can come to is that they just soak literally everything in concentrated sugar + lard. Even the "light" options on the menu will be like 650 calories for a piece of chicken and a side of veggies. Like how the hell? That should be 300 MAX.

Fats -- butter and oils. It's why restaurant food tastes so much different than homemade. Fat=flavor.
  • OnthatStuff
    OnthatStuff Posts: 141 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Chick-Fil-A sauces are very high in calories for such a little packet!

:cry: I used to have food fantasies of all of the things I could do with Chick-Fil-A sauce. It was hard letting it go. I've given up CFA altogether.
  • olive1968
    olive1968 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Olive oil. Kills me every time but it makes my salad worth living.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Wings.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I get like 3 bites and it's around 100 calories. I take off the skin so I guess that helps, but I gotta have a big dip of blue cheese dressing to go with it. Hard to fit in and feel like it's worth it.

I've started making homemade buffalo chicken with a lightly breaded breast and yogurt blue cheese. It's good, but not quite the same as the original.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Tuffaknee wrote: »
    Another I'll add.. CEREAL. Even the healthy ones, once you weigh an actual serving size on the scale and realize how meager it is compared to what you're used to pouring in the bowl. Shocking.

Soooo true. I still eat a huge bowl of Organic Kashi Berryful every morning (shredded wheat with real fruit middles) and then load it with blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries. It usually comes in around 385 to 425 calories (Because I eat nearly 2 servings). But it's my pre-gym meal and motivates me to HAVE to workout really hard if I want dinner at all (I can't eat more than 2 meals per day or I feel awful). But yeah... I eat the same thing everyday for breakfast and it still surprises me after 3 months of this.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Milk shakes. Over 1000 calories for a drink?!?!

Similarly, Blizzards. Can't believe I used to have "large" ones when I was a teenager.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Donuts. I am the conossieur of Dunkin Donuts limited edition donuts and croissant donuts, and they are 380 to 410 calories each. And I can't have one without a coffee drink, for just as many calories. :'(

Muffins, brownies, burger meals, Chinese food combos. When the guys at work get Wendys and I smell the fries, I have to leave the room. Total trigger for me.
  • waffle944
    waffle944 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oil... I used to cook with 1-2 tbsp oil always, but that's extra 200-300 cals I was routinely adding to my dishes.
  • nissarayna
    nissarayna Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Tortillas, peanut butter, mayonnaise at burger King ... (whopper sandwich with cheese is 710cal, 560 w/o mayo :open_mouth: ) ) I try not to eat there at all if I can. 2% milk, that really shocks me.

The peanut butter I still eat, most mornings on toast as it's filling and delish. A lot of foods shock me these days as I find myself looking at most nutrition labels. I eyed up a parfait thing at Walmart just 2 days ago, almost 700 cals, I about fell over, needless to say I walk... ran from that, it didn't look THAT good :wink:
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    What's sad is this whole thread just makes me hungry :D

Also, the person who said wings - yes! I forgot about those. I love wings but the calorie count is like the bane of my existence.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    Nuts, granola, trail mix, all the yummy cereals, PB, almond butter.. :disappointed:
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Not so much a surprise, because I knew they were high calorie, but muffins. I can't tell you how many times pre-MFP I grabbed a muffin over a donut thinking it was the healthier option.

They really are just ugly cupcakes.
  • layladrew26
    layladrew26 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Indian curry, donar meat and takeaway chips
  • double_nn
    double_nn Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Heavy cream. Obviously I knew it was calorie dense, but I intentionally never thought about how many servings were in the pasta sauces I'd make. I have one recipe where I was probably consuming 3/4-1 cup (with pasta!!!!)