Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat Acceptance Movement

Options

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    People should love their bodies. But loving your body does not mean loving the fat that makes you unhealthy or could lead to many negative health consequences down the road. That's not love, that's abusing the body you claim to love. The problem is people think that if someone isn't pro-fat acceptance that they are against fat people as human beings. That's not true. Being fat doesn't make someone a bad person or less than others, but being fat is not something to celebrate any more than an addiction to drugs, alcohol, gambling, etc. Most Americans are completely out of touch with a healthy body weight. And I understand why: if most people you see are fat, you think the norm must be acceptable. But denial won't protect you from disease or death and obesity and type 2 diabetes are twin epidemics. Being fat causes type 2 diabetes. In addition to death, people with diabetes can go blind, need amputations, become prone to infection, and cannot have necessary surgery if their A1c (a measure of blood glucose) is too high. Being fat also raises your risk of cancer, heart disease, and stroke. And while we have medications that can keep people alive, this does not mean a person has a good quality of life. Being fit and thin is achievable if you want it, and sites like this make it easy to see exactly what you're putting into your body.

Yes this
  • peckchris3267
    peckchris3267 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    https://www.naafaonline.com/dev2/about/

"NAAFA: the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance
    Founded in 1969, the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance (NAAFA) is a non-profit, all volunteer, civil rights organization dedicated to protecting the rights and improving the quality of life for fat people. NAAFA works to eliminate discrimination based on body size and provide fat people with the tools for self-empowerment through advocacy, public education, and support.

Why Should I Support NAAFA?
    Fat people are discriminated against in all aspects of daily life, from employment to education to access to public accommodations, and even access to adequate medical care. This discrimination occurs despite evidence that 95 to 98 percent of diets fail over five years and that 65 million Americans are labeled “obese.” Our thin-obsessed society firmly believes that fat people are at fault for their size and it is politically correct to stigmatize and ridicule them. Fat discrimination is one of the last publicly accepted discriminatory practices. Fat people have rights and they need to be upheld!

NAAFA’s message of size acceptance and self-acceptance is often overshadowed by a $49 billion-a-year diet industry that has a vested economic interest in perpetuating discrimination against fat people. Without active financial support from people like you, NAAFA would not exist and could not fulfill its crucial role defending your rights. While it is an uphill battle to achieve our goals, together we are making a difference.
    Our Vision
    A society in which people of every size are accepted with dignity and equality in all aspects of life.

Our Mission
    To eliminate discrimination based on body size and provide fat people with the tools for self-empowerment though public education, advocacy, and support.

Our Promise
    NAAFA will be a powerful force for positive social change. Using our collec­tive will, talents and resources, we will improve the world — not just for fat people, but for everyone.

We Come in All Sizes…
    Understand it.
    Support it.
    Accept it."
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    MJ2victory wrote: »
    moya_bleh wrote: »
    Wotan48 wrote: »
    At what point did this all get so misconstrued? Nobody ever said go get fat it's awesome, nobody ever said skinny sucks. It's about accepting who you are right now and understanding you deserve self love, no matter your size. Without self love and worth, how will you even care enough to lose weight or work out ? And there are a few people,who truly can't lose weight or have medical conditions that make weight loss extremely hard to impossible... they too have a right to self love and be accepted for who they are. Bottom line, don t judge unless your God.

You are exactly right in your post (+1 like from me!) However, the fat acceptance movement DOES give out a message of "Get fat, it's awesome" and "skinny sucks." You only need to look at the work of Tess Holliday, Virgie Tovar, Ragen Chastain, Kath Read, Kelly Jean Drinkwater and other such activists to see this.

do you have proof? I've never seen anything like that.

Google those names and the rest will follow....

• ValkyrieOnline
    ValkyrieOnline Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Fat acceptance is okay, however, me being 262 pounds of beef, I am not proud of being this way.
    I will accept anyone's body type and I love the fact that big women are loving themselves! *EXCEPT*
    the ones who shame skinny ladies/ claim that they're "real women" strictly because of their bigger size ... nah.
    I am not apart of fat acceptance myself because I cannot wait to be over half of that weight and the more weight I lose the more I insight I have when people say "that is extremely unhealthy, they are not taking care of themselves,etc., but to each their own :blush::heart:
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

...and any microbiology textbook would disagree. I welcome the citation to the contrary.

It's your use of the word "permanently" I hold issue with. No such thing in the realm of microbiology.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v529/n7585/full/nature16504.html

"Here we show that changes in the microbiota of mice consuming a low-MAC diet and harbouring a human microbiota are largely reversible within a single generation. However, over several generations, a low-MAC diet results in a progressive loss of diversity, which is not recoverable after the reintroduction of dietary MACs. To restore the microbiota to its original state requires the administration of missing taxa in combination with dietary MAC consumption. Our data illustrate that taxa driven to low abundance when dietary MACs are scarce are inefficiently transferred to the next generation, and are at increased risk of becoming extinct within an isolated population. As more diseases are linked to the Western microbiota and the microbiota is targeted therapeutically, microbiota reprogramming may need to involve strategies that incorporate dietary MACs as well as taxa not currently present in the Western gut."

Since I don't see my fellow MFP-ers running out for fecal transplants or other microbiota reprogramming, I think you're being terribly pedantic and I stand by my use of the word "permanent."

I'm off to enjoy my evening. So this concludes my participation in this debate. :smiley: Cheers.

Well, it's a citation I'll grant you that. I'm not sure what point you are trying to support with this however. Using a general taxa study to support a specific cause and effect relationship is not appropriate and unfit for purpose.

• cmh308
    cmh308 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    My friend was walking to our gym today and some guy yelled at her to " take your fat *kitten* home and put some clothes on

Look at the abuse Olympic gold medalist Sarah Robles faces daily.

Being overweight is certainly not "glorified" as some here have claimed, at least not in Western society.

Fat acceptance is about not judging people. Nobody becomes healthy overnight. It's a lifelong journey. Obesity is something that is easy for people to judge because it's visible to society.

You want to become healthier out of love and care for yourself, not by feeling hopeless, defeated, or worthless - otherwise "what's the point". Many people just need a little support and to be told it's okay not to hate themselves.

FYI she won bronze not gold.
  • MJ2victory
    MJ2victory Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    ahhhh thanks friend.

tbh whatever. Hate fat ppl all you want but why tell them? Sadism?

K9jNCVe.jpg

No one - least of all me - has said to tell fat people a thing. I've said HAES and their ilk are impossible to please if they don't get their over-inflated egos stroked for being "fat and beautiful". Their victim complex is nauseating and utterly unhelpful to their own cause.

I think there are like a dozen ppl in the US who are that ridiculous. The idea of fat acceptance shouldn't be judged by that. And look at any single post of a happy, fat, confident woman and you will see comment after comment about how she's gross, unhealthy, promoting obesity, etc. I'm not talking specifically to anyone in this thread but to be, that's the opposite of fat acceptance. Just let ppl be fat and happy. Most fat people know the risks.
  • MJ2victory
    Options
    Wotan48 wrote: »
    At what point did this all get so misconstrued? Nobody ever said go get fat it's awesome, nobody ever said skinny sucks. It's about accepting who you are right now and understanding you deserve self love, no matter your size. Without self love and worth, how will you even care enough to lose weight or work out ? And there are a few people,who truly can't lose weight or have medical conditions that make weight loss extremely hard to impossible... they too have a right to self love and be accepted for who they are. Bottom line, don t judge unless your God.

You are exactly right in your post (+1 like from me!) However, the fat acceptance movement DOES give out a message of "Get fat, it's awesome" and "skinny sucks." You only need to look at the work of Tess Holliday, Virgie Tovar, Ragen Chastain, Kath Read, Kelly Jean Drinkwater and other such activists to see this.

do you have proof? I've never seen anything like that.

Google those names and the rest will follow....

did you? Because, even though I've already read a fair amount of these things, I went out and googled just for the sake of this conversation and didn't find a single thing saying "skinny sucks" or "fat is awesome, get fat" as originally suggested. But I also maintain that a few wackos taking it too far can't be emblematic of an entire group of ppl who just wanna live their lives.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    ahhhh thanks friend.

K9jNCVe.jpg

No one - least of all me - has said to tell fat people a thing. I've said HAES and their ilk are impossible to please if they don't get their over-inflated egos stroked for being "fat and beautiful". Their victim complex is nauseating and utterly unhelpful to their own cause.

I think there are like a dozen ppl in the US who are that ridiculous. The idea of fat acceptance shouldn't be judged by that. And look at any single post of a happy, fat, confident woman and you will see comment after comment about how she's gross, unhealthy, promoting obesity, etc. I'm not talking specifically to anyone in this thread but to be, that's the opposite of fat acceptance. Just let ppl be fat and happy. Most fat people know the risks.

People voice their opinions on people and things that they find distasteful all of the time. Why should the obese get a pass?

People disproportionately voice their distaste for the obese.

I've seen so many pictures of thin women eating a mountain of food and people say it's awesome and she's "wife material" and things like that. No one says it's gross or glorifying unhealthy habits.

Furthermore, I would argue that people should do a lot less voicing their opinions of distaste although that's not what this thread is about. It's not hard to be decent. If you think something's ugly/stupid/whatever how hard is it to keep it to yourself and go live your own glorious life in the sun?

Nope on the thin pets. She'd get labelled bulimic by many people. Actually post a picture of an overly thin person and there would be many many comments on how gross she is but it's acceptable because she's thin.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    thickspo91 wrote: »
    Some people are fat based on genetics. Also skinny people who don't take care of themselves don't get judged as harshly. I think people should be allowed to be fat if that's the life they choose. Fat is often a correlation with a disease, not the causation. Judging people for whether or not they are ill is wrong. Judging people for being fat is wrong.
    Debatable. CICO will dictate if a person is overweight or not. While health issues from genetics can impair metabolic rate, a person eating less calories or equal calories than they burn shouldn't gain weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    willdarr79 wrote: »
    I maintain that being hateful and disrespectful towards fat people does a lot towards keep us fat.

I have seen literally nobody in this thread saying that being hateful is ok. The question is whether or not people should be celebrating the fact that they are fat instead of trying to become more healthy. I haven't seen anyone say that fat shaming is ok, only that we shouldn't be glorifying being unhealthy.

but the thing is that accepting your body and deciding to love yourself doesn't necessarily mean you're not trying to become more healthy.
    But it also doesn't necessarily mean they are attempting to either. Many different cultures will accept being fat and happy. In fact in some cultures it's expected. That doesn't mean just because it's expected that they are also trying to get on some health regimen.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

...and any microbiology textbook would disagree. I welcome the citation to the contrary.

It's your use of the word "permanently" I hold issue with. No such thing in the realm of microbiology.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v529/n7585/full/nature16504.html

"Here we show that changes in the microbiota of mice consuming a low-MAC diet and harbouring a human microbiota are largely reversible within a single generation. However, over several generations, a low-MAC diet results in a progressive loss of diversity, which is not recoverable after the reintroduction of dietary MACs. To restore the microbiota to its original state requires the administration of missing taxa in combination with dietary MAC consumption. Our data illustrate that taxa driven to low abundance when dietary MACs are scarce are inefficiently transferred to the next generation, and are at increased risk of becoming extinct within an isolated population. As more diseases are linked to the Western microbiota and the microbiota is targeted therapeutically, microbiota reprogramming may need to involve strategies that incorporate dietary MACs as well as taxa not currently present in the Western gut."

Since I don't see my fellow MFP-ers running out for fecal transplants or other microbiota reprogramming, I think you're being terribly pedantic and I stand by my use of the word "permanent."

I'm off to enjoy my evening. So this concludes my participation in this debate. :smiley: Cheers.
    Research is still pretty scant. Also, animal studies hardly ever translate to human results.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • MJ2victory
    Options
    ahhhh thanks friend.

K9jNCVe.jpg

People voice their opinions on people and things that they find distasteful all of the time. Why should the obese get a pass?

People disproportionately voice their distaste for the obese.

I've seen so many pictures of thin women eating a mountain of food and people say it's awesome and she's "wife material" and things like that. No one says it's gross or glorifying unhealthy habits.

Furthermore, I would argue that people should do a lot less voicing their opinions of distaste although that's not what this thread is about. It's not hard to be decent. If you think something's ugly/stupid/whatever how hard is it to keep it to yourself and go live your own glorious life in the sun?

Nope on the thin pets. She'd get labelled bulimic by many people. Actually post a picture of an overly thin person and there would be many many comments on how gross she is but it's acceptable because she's thin.

I have looked at a lot of pics like that and never seen a comment like that tbh.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I never see ANY comments that anyone is fat or obese anymore on photos, I only see criticism that someone is too skinny and looks gross. Where do you ever see people calling people fat? (not saying it doesn't happen, just wondering because I never see it anymore)