WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2017

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Lanette - It sounds as if you have got your eating habits well into the healthy zone. Isn't it great when the eating takes care of itself and you don't have to struggle. I just love the way I eat and feel I eat a LOT of lovely, healthy food. I even have cheese and dark chocolate! I do have to add carbs and cakes etc for my skinny DH, hence the rice pudding!
    8yrzswa3p45i.png
    After I have left it to naturally release for a while I give it a good stir in the pot, then decant it into a receptacle and leave it to cool. It thickens up. DH prefers it cold when it sets quite firm. I use 30 - 35 gms sugar,. I have some ancient vanilla sugar which I am using up for it.
    For recipes I have a book called VEGAN UNDER PRESSURE on my Kindle. I am not vegan, but love vegan food. I like the book because it has charts for bean cooking, rice cooking etc.
    I also have the Good Food Pressure Cooking book to give me ideas. Again on my Kindle.
    Other than that I lurked in the Instant Pot Facebook group for a while (see above) and looked at Utube videos for chicken/pot roast etc. Going to try boiled eggs today. Apparently they peel much more easily! Also try the sour dough bread rise with yogurt whey.
    Skinnytaste.com has lots of pressure cooker recipes. Also This Old Gal. (TOG) They say her cheesecake is a bit bland, so I've bookmarked #17, which has a good reputation, or the salted caramel one with ritz crackers. :o:D I can't wait for guests who like dessert to try one out!
    I think, once you get the general idea, you can adapt ordinary recipes easily.

Kim - Aaaaaahhhhh apricots! Love 'em. I think DH just stews them. He sometimes adds a splash of orange juice. We keep packets of Stevia for sweetening things that need it, and if he has to resort to sugar, it isn't a lot. To your taste, is the answer. We like things on the tart side. He just halves them. You can freeze them cooked just fine. :D We have them with our yummy yoghurt. (((HUGS))) for the chin - OUCH! :sad:

Up early today. We were promised rain, but it hasn't arrived. My garden needs it.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

• IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Hello, Cooking Cuties!

Man, thank goodness I am getting ready to go to bed, because Heather is making me hungry... LOL. I love rice pudding!

Another glorious day has passed, and I managed - JUST - to stay 400 calories under budget. Tomorrow is another weight day, and I did my planks, a few minutes ago - so, Planks for the week, check. Not that I won't try to do them the rest of the week... I read a success story from one of those gals who lost a bunch of weight and looks like an athletic supermodel... she does planks every night before bed... so, I am giving it a go. I figure it can't hurt.

I am also joining another challenge... despite the lack of progress at the end of the last one, I think it kept me on track, at least in the beginning. I want another holiday season where I LOSE weight, like I did last year. Between weight lifting, planks, and the challenge, I am hoping for good things.

All I can say is, I am sick, sick, sick of being 195... but, in a good way... LOL. I can't hate the number, having come down from 275 a scant two year ago - but, I am getting a bit tired of it, after almost two months.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Kim - I am thinking healing thoughts! Hugs!!

M - we should all look so good as your Grandma at 96! (and you look pretty good, too. :p )

Michele - I am actually adjusting the calories because - oh yeah - MFP has some pretty high burn for exercise... I did a heart-rate based calculator that put me at something between 8-10 calories a minute on the elliptical - so I am manually adjusting the number in MFP to no more than 10 calories per minute. I am hoping that will help, overall, in the weight starting to drop off, again.

Becca - Of course the sun kissed you! You are an extremely kissable woman. Hugs and kisses!

Barbie - you and Jake can come on down to TX and do my yard when you are done, ok?

Lizzie - stay strong! The scale is a big fat liar about half the time.

Kelly - Joaquin may not be drinking out of a bottle the next time he visits your house, but you will have a lot of other fabulous things to look forward to... all that great baby/toddler stuff... talking, walking, wearing pots as hats - all the fun things that kids do. Hugs!!

))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Well, my Dears, the bed is calling my name. Tomorrow is another working day - but, HURRAY! The last day before Jammie Day!

July Goals for the week 7/2 – 7/8
    400 calories under budget 5X: OOXXX
    Weights/Abdominals 3X: OOX
    Planks 3X: XXX

Hugs for Everybody!

Re in TX
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    KIM ouch that must have hurt, hope you feel better soon

LANETTE the umbrellas are a project by ADHD and AUTISM orgs, they signify that those terms are used as umbrella terms for lots of conditions. They are in Liverpool city centre, not sure how long they are there. They looked lovely in the sunshine yesterday and certainly cheered up my shopping.

Kate UK <3
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,337 Member
    Options
    With all the bites Charlie and I have been getting, I got some Calamine lotion and more hydrogen peroxide for when I get scratched or bit or when I just scratch and bleed. That stuff really takes the blood out of something. We used it a lot when I was a nurse.

Joyce - if you scratch, for TEMPORARY relief use your blowdryer, put it on the itch and hold it there as long as you possibly can. The reason this will work to take away the itch is that the heat breaks up the histamines that cause the itching. You're right, that peroxide really does take out the blood. I use it all the time.

Have you ever used the stuff "AfterBite"? I sometimes can get it in WalMart. I tell you, if you have any type of open wound (like you've scratched so much that it's bled) this stuff will burn like h***, but it will relieve the itching.

Michele in NC

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,693 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    I am awake another night of interrupted sleep.. have oil change and look at condo this morning and then hopefully time with my DD and DGD ..
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)

KIM ~ So sorry about your fall. Healing thoughts for you.

HEATHER ~ What is a "knob" of butter? I love rice pudding.

MICHELLE ~ On Dr Oz yesterday, a doctor said to put minty toothpaste on bug bites. Said the menthol makes the sting feel better.

Carol in GA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    Options
    Carol - I personally don't eat the rice pudding, though I have had a spoonful. :D DH loves it. A knob of butter is probably around a tablespoon, though the more you use the richer the pudding. You could use less.

My Instant Pot hard boiled eggs proved to be as easy to peel as rumoured. :laugh: I followed skinnytaste.com timings.
    I now have THIS OLD GAL Dutch oven bread made with yogurt whey rising in the IP. :drinker: I put a touch of rye flour in it because I like it. Baking this pm in the middle of my French film. The problem will be not eating too much of it. :o

Very, very warm and humid here. Don't know if the storms will arrive. We have watered our grass seed and herbs.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Machka, you have some good genes I. Your family. Neither you nor your grandmother look anywhere near your age.

I participate in a financial message board where the folks also rave about the instant pot. I'm going to cave sooner or later, but my one in one out rule is stopping me right now, I would have to get rid of either my crock pot or my rice cooker to make room for it. I love them both.

Time for the gym. It's leg day today. Later.....
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    hello! I have been dealing with bed bugs that got in my house. i'll be back as soon as i can find some time. Missing and thinking of you all.

hugs - Gloria in WA <3
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    KATIE ~ You can make rice in the instant pot. I make it in my Nesco pressure cooker. 1 c rice + 2 c water for 7 minutes.
  • Artemis2121
    Artemis2121 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. Seems like I'm always trying to catch up here , lol.
    Nj Linda
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    katiebug I follow the same rule as you, if something new comes in, something old goes out. My rice cooker insert is pretty badly scratched up. I'm waiting for prime day (amazon sale day) to buy the instapot duo-7. I've got gift card $$ balance and I'm itching to spend it. I'm hoping the price goes down-we'll see how much self control I've got!!

I'm walking in to town since DD has the car. I've got some errands to run and then off to the gym. By walking I add about 1.5 miles to my day. Yesterday was a lazy day for me so I'm anxious to get moving.

NYKAREN
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    523651hrk7q2lyrl.gif
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,329 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Kim – so glad you didn’t break anything. Hope you are healing well! I think I would have given in to the milkshake. I’ve tripped over nothing before and luckily caught myself before I hit the dirt…so far.

Heather – thank you for the rice pudding recipe. I have a hunch “pudding rice” is short-grained rice such as is used for risotto. Sometimes I buy “Just Delicious” brand rice pudding at the grocery store in small cups….if I buy a pint container I can eat it in no time. I’ll start checking out those recipes.

RE – here comes Jammie Day! You have done SO WELL!!! Maybe your body just wants to take a little break before Round 2 – your goal is within sight now

Machka – that photo of you and your grandmother is the best! You both look so healthy and happy – I agree with Dr. Katiebug - good genes, girl! I’m sure she was thrilled to be able to spend a little time with you. Does she live by herself? I saw a picture of snow falling in New Zealand the other day…and thought about you heading back to “winter” one of these days.

Gloria – sorry to hear about the bedbugs. Catch us up when you get a chance – did you land a new job and how is the new roommate working out? Hope things are going well at your house!

Has anyone heard from Rita? I wonder if she and her DH have started their motorhome journey across the country, I recall she had so much fun planning the trip. Last I heard they were parked at a relative’s doing some repair on the motorhome and kind of hunkering down because of the weather.

Question for those of you who regularly work out with weights or machines at home or at the gym... how/why did you get started? What keeps you motivated? I know some of you have been doing this for years - very admirable!

That’s the latest – have a great day!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    All I can say is, I am sick, sick, sick of being 195... but, in a good way... LOL. I can't hate the number, having come down from 275 a scant two year ago - but, I am getting a bit tired of it, after almost two months.
    Re in TX

I feel your pain! So wish that 175 was in the rear view window! Your putting it in perspective helps me realize where I've come from and all the positive changes I've made in my life! Remind ourselves that this is a journey not a race with and end and stay the course!

Cheri
    in muggy hot College Station, TX
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,533 Member
    Options
    godmomkim - ow-weeee... if it helps, i had an accident and fell on my bike yesterday. i was hurrying to catch the train and i made it but i hit the train gate thingy, it didn't go up at the same time the other one did, so i got 3 new war wounds (what i call them). i WAS planning on riding home the 10mi but decided not to cuz my handle bar got crooked and didn't want to deal with something going wrong and having to walk the bike. so i rode the usual 2.6 mi once i got to tacoma on the train. kirby chk'd out the bike, straightened up the handle bar gear shifter and i rode to work this morning from the gym (14mi)
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    <3Pip and Kim - I wish they had "sad face" emoji's at the bottom of the posts. Here ya go: :'(:'(

Glad nothing broken - on both of you gals and the bike B)

Lanette
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Oh Pip I hope you didn't get too banged up! I can't imagine falling with a bike.

Lenora There is a Hyatt Regency between The Alamo and the Riverwalk if that's what your thinking of.
    When I lived in Austin, I loved going to the Riverwalk and have dinner or lunch and watch the boats go down the river. One time we saw a wedding party taking pictures on the arched bridge. It was so beautiful. I'll try to find that picture.
    I love our retirement home in Arkansas but I sure miss Texas! I'll always be a Texan in my heart!!

Gloria Wow! Bedbugs! That sounds like a nightmare! I always fear bringing home bugs from hotel, but so far so good!

Again, I got chewed up with chigger bites!!! They are so bad I can't describe!
    I stepped off the front porch into the flower bed to press a new shepherd hook into the soil to hang a plant on. Boom, not even two minutes, and chiggers!
    I have bites behind my knees and upon the inside of my thighs! They know where to burrow in! Those nice meaty thighs! LOL!! I need to call the bug man to see if they can spray for chiggers.

Today is my MRI. We have to drive over to Little Rock for it, so it will be a long day. I don't mind laying in the MRI tube, it's just boring. Dr Rubin's MRI office doesn't have a radio to listen to. But at least he will read it and get back to you while you are there. I'll have some news later!

Take care all and have a wonderful day!
    Dana in Arkansas
    Lily out in the backyard;
    rey3v0ndfda5.jpg
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Karen in VA: Sorry about the blahs. My blahs busters are currently out of commission due to car trouble so I have sympathy. When we visited my DS and DDIL in VA last summer they took us to a park along side the Potomac. It was a great place with beautiful waterfalls and a lovely walking trail. I hope you find something that works for you. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: Your landscaping project looks like hard work, but the kind that gives great results and a feeling of accomplishment. :star:

Lanette: Your pup is a real cutie! :bigsmile:

Kate UK: I love the bright umbrellas, but can't figure out how they are mounted up there. Hmmm--:wink:

Allie: (((HUGS))) One day at a time. I hope the visit to see the condo gives you all sorts of good ideas. :smiley:

Kim in N CA: I hope you heal quickly and with minimal swelling and pain. :heart:

Gloria: I'm so happy that you stopped by. I hope you're back with us on a regular basis soon. :flowerforyou:

Lanette: I work with some weight machine at the gym but not with free weights. The machine versions help keep me safe from my own lack of skill. The free weights require good form, and I don't have it. :grumble:

Pip: I'm glad Kirby was able to adjust your bike. Yay! :smiley:

I'm feeling sorry for myself and grumpy this morning. Yesterday DH's car quit right in the middle of the highway. It had a sudden loss of oil pressure. We just had a major repair job done on that car at VW and they apparently got something wrong. He shut it off and we called for a tow trunk. We sat there in the heat until AAA finally authorized a local tow truck to haul for us. The tow truck driver dropped us off at home and took our car to VW in Beaverton. We live in a weird spot. Service companies like AAA assume we can get help from right across the river in Ridgefield, but there are no bridges for more than 20 miles up river & down river. I'm sure glad I insisted on a rental car when we took my car in for repair after it was hit in the sports club parking lot or we'd have no transportation at all.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"That which doesn't kill us, makes us stronger." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,559 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Hello everyone. My husband and I are back from visiting my mom, and we are home now with no children. It's awesome!! We have ten days to ourselves -- well we still have to work, but no kids!

I've been reading and trying to keep up but haven't had time to comment on anything. I hope the injuries and health issues resolve themselves -- that car problems are quickly fixed -- that stresses are relieved -- that gardens keep growing beautifully.

I'm thinking about joining (late) a July challenge. Anyone have any recommendations? I've looked in over there, but I'm not sure what I want to do. I'm not interested in a weight loss challenge because I am losing very very slowly right now, and I don't want to stress over it.

We had sad news on the 4th -- one of my husband's aunts was killed in a traffic accident in Florida coming home from work at 10:42 p.m. on the 3rd. There's all kinds of wrong with that sentence, considering she is 77 years old. We are so sad, not because we were that close to her, but just thinking about her life and that she had to die alone. :cry: A driver and passenger were injured in the other vehicle. Please pray for them -- they are 16 and 18. The accident was the aunt's fault.

Everyone take care.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon