40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Good Morning cool kids!
    Woke up congested and sluggish. the fog outside didn't help.
    My body is still so sore from Tuesday's weight lifting. Oh man! Makes moving hard. I told my trainer to push me, and he sure is! :)

@TmacMMM - congrats on the shrinking clothes and the fact that you actually walked out of the store with some new stuff! :)
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options

Thursday is normally a XT/Rest from running day, but I’ve been running on the treadmill a lot lately and the weather was cooperating and I have these new running shoes to break in…Sooooo, I went for a very nice easy 3-mile run. It felt good to get out on the road. It wasn’t that long ago that I couldn’t even finish a single mile, and now 3 miles is my easy run. Not bad for an old lady who has never been athletic in her entire life! Active, yes. Athletic? No way!!

Oh, and I also did 21DFX Upper Fix Extreme and Lower Fix Extreme.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Hey kids, hope all is well. I barely got in 3000 steps yesterday as I was absolutely exhausted. I listened to my body and rested yesterday. Guess who was bright eyed, bushy tailed and took TRX/Inferno back to back today? ME!!!!! TmacMMM--congrats. I love to read all of your posts as they inspire me. Have a great day everyone.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    We went to the beach for a couple of hours and had fun playing the sand and freezing cold water. I'm excited because hubs announced he'll be home early after a meeting and that means I can go to skate. On time!!!! Yes I skate in the summer.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,959 Member
    Options
    Thanks, djproulx.

I lifted again, today. Am figuring out how "sore" I can be doing splits, again. A good sore.

My weight has popped up - I am presuming "water retention"....blech.

Anyhow, the weather is GLORIOUS here for the next week - maybe longer - and I intend on enjoying every second of it.
  • AliNouveau
    Options
    Beeps2011 wrote: »
    Thanks, djproulx.

I lifted again, today. Am figuring out how "sore" I can be doing splits, again. A good sore.

My weight has popped up - I am presuming "water retention"....blech.

Anyhow, the weather is GLORIOUS here for the next week - maybe longer - and I intend on enjoying every second of it.

I'm about to leave that water retention phase of my month. haha why is it so nasty???

Enjoy the weather
  • DespiteMyself
    DespiteMyself Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi cool kids! I've been back in the saddle again for three months and have taken off 14lbs. No Speedy Gonzalez this time! I'm taking my time, avoiding injury, and enjoying myself. I'm 43lbs down from my highest (in 2011) and about 35 until I'm in the healthy bmi for what that's worth.

I'll be mostly lurking in here I think. You guys are so athletic! My exercise for this summer consists of walking 2 mi/30 min every night, and geocaching hikes with the family whenever I can round them up. We did 5.5 miles with about a 700ft elevation last weekend and to my surprise I wasn't even sore! Time to raise the bar!

As the summer winds down and the rains start I'm planning on taking a deep breath, putting on my big girl panties, and (gulp) marching my hind end into our local gym. It will be a first for me. The only time I've ever even been close to lifting weights was going to Curves maaaany moons ago. I loved it, so we'll see.

So I'll be hanging out, being inspired by you all. Next goals: 3lbs until I enter the land of the Merely Fat and leave obesity behind(this month), and I want to be able to comfortably walk 5k in 45 minutes (by the end of summer). Hardly a Spartan Race, Paddle boarding race, or Triathalon, but I'm doing what I can!
  • tojo_73
    tojo_73 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    @Bry_Lander what program are you using to calculate your VO2 max?
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "P90X3 Pilates X"=Done!
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Hey kids, hope all is well. I barely got in 3000 steps yesterday as I was absolutely exhausted. I listened to my body and rested yesterday. Guess who was bright eyed, bushy tailed and took TRX/Inferno back to back today? ME!!!!! TmacMMM--congrats. I love to read all of your posts as they inspire me. Have a great day everyone.

@caramelgyrlk -- That made my day. Thanks. :)

Raining today and I didn't want to bring my phone, so ran for time. Used to be that when I ran from my house, I could just barely reach the bike path in 15 minutes, which meant I'd then turn right around to make it a 30m run. I got there in 10m this time, and got 10m on the scenic path.

And it's a good thing I didn't bring my phone. I was soaked to the skin when I got back. Had to strip down on the screened porch.

As an aside, I find it interesting that I refuse to run outside if it's hotter than 75F, but the rain is fine. Pleasant, even. :)
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,071 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Sorry I've been MIA...had some hormonal/old lady issues last week that kept me in slug mode and mostly in the fetal position on my sofa all week. Back at it this week though once I got past it...twice to the gym for strength training and one day of paddling (though slow because we were with some friends who don't paddle much). Need to work out harder though because I have my next race in three weeks, and I don't think I've been on the water with my race board other than yesterday since my last race in mid-June (have had a couple casual days with my short board, but nothing overly significant). Time to get busy / serious.

Hello to all the new people that have joined us in the past couple of weeks!! Welcome!!

Just remember you only need to work on YOUR personal best, not try to do anyone else's personal best/workout. So, if you're working on walking around the block without passing out or running a marathon that's been on your bucket list, we're here to cheer you on for both! Keep it cool, kids! And have a blessed weekend!
  • AliNouveau
    Options
    I did a low impact cardio video and a arms/shoulder routine todya after spending the day at my friends pool. I'm gonna sleep well tonight
  • BettyM1017
    Options
    It’s Fartlek Friday! I hadn’t done an interval run for two weeks because of time, temperatures, and work schedules. I was kind of dreading it, but it felt good. Today’s intervals were 200m, 400m, 600m, 800m, and 1000m at race pace with half the distance recovery. Including warm up and cool down, the whole run was 6.75 miles. I was really happy with my pace, and so surprised to make it the entire 1000m on that last interval. Hopefully, these intervals will help me reach my 29-minute 5K by September.
    Upcoming Races:
    July 21 - St. Pete Beach Series, Race #2, 5K
  • AliNouveau
    Options
    BettyM1017 wrote: »
    It’s Fartlek Friday! I hadn’t done an interval run for two weeks because of time, temperatures, and work schedules. I was kind of dreading it, but it felt good. Today’s intervals were 200m, 400m, 600m, 800m, and 1000m at race pace with half the distance recovery. Including warm up and cool down, the whole run was 6.75 miles. I was really happy with my pace, and so surprised to make it the entire 1000m on that last interval. Hopefully, these intervals will help me reach my 29-minute 5K by September.
    Upcoming Races:
    July 21 - St. Pete Beach Series, Race #2, 5K

Awesome. My goal was a sub 30 minutes 5k. Then my stupid heel flared up just as I was ever so close. Hope you get your 29 minutes
  • __TMac__
    Options
    I'm going to start doing Fartlek Fridays. Fun idea. :)
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    @BettyM1017 - Great work. Nothing like speed sessions to make you faster.

One of my favorites is to do 3 minute intervals on a track and dropping a marker (such as a popsicle stick) at the spot reached on the 3 minute mark. The idea is to go a bit farther during each 3 minute interval, marking the new distance with the stick, then recovering by walking back to the starting point. This is REALLY fun if there are several runners, since it can get competitive. The key is not to start out too fast during the first couple of blocks.
  • BettyM1017
    Options
    @AliNouveau Thanx! I was really close last year, and then I broke my foot. I still feel twinges in it occasionally, but nothing major, thankfully.

@Djproulx Great idea! Now if I could just find a track to use.
  • AliNouveau
    Options
    Just did some core work now time for brunch and then the zoo for a big old walk
  • __TMac__
    Options
    30 minute row (6300 meters), followed by a little strength work.

My sneakers are still wet from yesterday's run, so I wore my new dress shoes to the Y. ;)
    vcb6ae9e7dlg.jpg