What's the dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say?

Replies

• beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    My mother won't buy a hot tub because she thinks "the squirrels and deer will get in it."

that completely cracked me up - not so good when supposed to be working. But images of a deer in bathing shorts trying to climb in the hot tub with his squirrel friends! :D:D:D:D

• browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    A guy I work with pronounces Iwakuni as "Irakuni." Um excuse dumb *kitten*, where do see an R in that word?
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    A guy I work with pronounces Iwakuni as "Irakuni." Um excuse dumb *kitten*, where do see an R in that word?

Um could he have a speech impediment?

i never assume someone is dumb because they got the pronunciation or spelling wrong. I have dyslexia and i can occasionally spell something wrong but it doesnt mean im stupid. Same goes for pronunciation, you all you know he may have issues with letter to sound relationships or something else that isnt immediately obvious to the untrained.

I think thats a little unfair on the lad!
  • browneyedgirl749
    MrStabbems wrote: »

Um could he have a speech impediment?

i never assume someone is dumb because they got the pronunciation or spelling wrong. I have dyslexia and i can occasionally spell something wrong but it doesnt mean im stupid. Same goes for pronunciation, you all you know he may have issues with letter to sound relationships or something else that isnt immediately obvious to the untrained.

I think thats a little unfair on the lad!

Nope, no speech impediment. He just likes to pronounce words wrong on purpose. I've worked with him for over 6 years. We're on the same team. I've heard him say it correctly before.
  • browneyedgirl749
    newmeadow wrote: »

Um, what does excuse dumb kitten mean?

My bad, I missed a word. It should be excuse me dumb *kitten*. I was eating lunch at the same time I was typing this.
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    rednote49 wrote: »
    Once a fairly well educated person looked at me and said "I don't believe in dinosaurs". After a few minutes of silence and me blinking in confusion I asked "Sooo what are those things at the Smithsonian?". The reply and I kid you not, he said "Lies created by the US government"

At least it wasn't "created by Satan to test us." I went to a church once where they had a dino display with "The Truth About the Dinosaurs"...yeah....no dino's in Genesis, so they can't have ever existed...or if they did it was only a day or two before Man, so they all lived happily together.

BUY A SCIENCE BOOK!

I do go to church, but not one that takes the "6 days to create the universe" literally.

• nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Caporegiem wrote: »
    Coworker: My printer says I need to change the yellow toner, what should I do?

Me: You *kitten* serious?

So embarrassed to admit this is 100% me. Lol. So many questions... Like now-now, or just soon? And how? And where is it, exactly? Do I change it to another yellow or a different color? And wtf is toner?

*Massive sigh*..Toner toner toner has done it again...

Yeah, once I temped in an office and the printer said "replace black toner." There were toner boxes right on the shelf, so I opened the printer, took the old toner out... Then the boss came in and stopped me: "We usually just shake it and put it back in for a while when it says to replace it." So, don't assume.
  • PL4TNM
    PL4TNM Posts: 85 Member
    Once @gottabeeleighv said I couldn't take her down with her own pudding pops
  • PL4TNM
    PL4TNM Posts: 85 Member
    #guilty
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    A former friend, at 28 years old, said, "Is it hotter at the beach because we're closer to the sun?" She was serious and honestly wanted to know. :|
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Rob_in_MI wrote: »
    Anything that is lead into with "irregardless"

I watched a hole mini documentary on how people HATE that word but it's actually in the dictionary. It was put out by Merriam-Webster's Facebook, so I'm inclined to believe.... IRREGARDLESS of how I feel :wink:
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    oh boy where to start? lol Let's see, my sister, who is 30 years old says "toilet trees," (toiletries) And someone I work with said in response to another coworker talking about a senior living home "isn't that where they euthanize them?" My mother won't buy a hot tub because she thinks "the squirrels and deer will get in it." Another time, when I tore the fence down in my back yard, my mom says "you better hurry up and get a new one, before the mice come into your home and eat your furniture."

No wonder I couldn't find the tree!!

Thanks for making my day.

• clayelliott847
    clayelliott847 Posts: 125 Member
    Girl asks "Have you seen my sunglasses". I run my hand through my hair as I respond "Umm, On your head".
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited July 2017
    Apologies for the non-funny technical rant. Bad day at work, I need a quick vent.

IT support re: a scalable network file system they haven't gotten to work properly for more than a week since the default install months ago.

"Why don't I just install a new one and copy the data over?"

Yes, why don't you repeat your original effort and hope for a different result. Then compound the error by wasting time transferring TBs of data that has probably been corrupted either by uploading it to the 1st screwed up system or by all of the malfunctions that have occurred since.

*sigh*

This is why I shifted to doing infrastructure work myself rather than let our IT handle it. It's killing me to step back and not fix it myself.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    nevadavis1 wrote: »
    Caporegiem wrote: »
    Coworker: My printer says I need to change the yellow toner, what should I do?

Me: You *kitten* serious?

So embarrassed to admit this is 100% me. Lol. So many questions... Like now-now, or just soon? And how? And where is it, exactly? Do I change it to another yellow or a different color? And wtf is toner?

*Massive sigh*..Toner toner toner has done it again...

Yeah, once I temped in an office and the printer said "replace black toner." There were toner boxes right on the shelf, so I opened the printer, took the old toner out... Then the boss came in and stopped me: "We usually just shake it and put it back in for a while when it says to replace it." So, don't assume.

We do that at work. lol.. you can get another 1500 pages out of the toner cartridge before you have to change it. lol :D
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    aeloine wrote: »
    Rob_in_MI wrote: »
    Anything that is lead into with "irregardless"

I watched a hole mini documentary on how people HATE that word but it's actually in the dictionary. It was put out by Merriam-Webster's Facebook, so I'm inclined to believe.... IRREGARDLESS of how I feel :wink:

It's in the dictionary now because people wouldn't stop saying it.
  • bassfishingirl
    bassfishingirl Posts: 78 Member
    I told someone I lived in a basement apartment, they asked if we had windows? I laughed and said no...we live in a dungeon.