What terms/phrases wind you up about losing weight?

Options

Replies

• ezekielsherrard205735
    ezekielsherrard205735 Posts: 42 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'm trying to lose weight but I'm kinda struggling and i don't know what I'm doing wrong :)
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    OhMsDiva wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    "Fluffy".

No, it's fat. I can almost hear the slightly self-deprecating "tee hee" that goes along with "fluffy".

Not weight/health related, but often seen here: "XX years young". Bespeaks denial, self-deprecation, and a pathetic, near-apologetic desperation, when said of oneself; patronizing when used to describe others. (P.S., I'm 61; people my age say this. Yuck. Old is a good thing: Consider the actual alternative, which is not "young".)

Own who you are. Don't apologize, don't imply self-hatred by euphemizing. If you want to be different, change what you can influence or control.

Fat does not offend me, if I am describing myself but I like when the men say I am thick....that's hot.

Yep, "thick" means you got the goods. Rawr. ;)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    OhMsDiva wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    "Fluffy".

No, it's fat. I can almost hear the slightly self-deprecating "tee hee" that goes along with "fluffy".

Not weight/health related, but often seen here: "XX years young". Bespeaks denial, self-deprecation, and a pathetic, near-apologetic desperation, when said of oneself; patronizing when used to describe others. (P.S., I'm 61; people my age say this. Yuck. Old is a good thing: Consider the actual alternative, which is not "young".)

Own who you are. Don't apologize, don't imply self-hatred by euphemizing. If you want to be different, change what you can influence or control.

Fat does not offend me, if I am describing myself but I like when the men say I am thick....that's hot.

Yep, "thick" means you got the goods. Rawr. ;)

I'm Australian and old enough to remember this advert. Thick will never mean anything but this to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-H6Uz0b1Wk
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    "I can't afford to eat healthy". Which means they can't afford to shop at Whole Foods, the gluten free aisle, or organic.

There's a wealth of foods between Kraft Dinner and the GF aisle.

Sometimes I despair that this whole generation doesn't know how to shop or how to cook.

Amen.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    "I can't afford to eat healthy". Which means they can't afford to shop at Whole Foods, the gluten free aisle, or organic.

There's a wealth of foods between Kraft Dinner and the GF aisle.

Sometimes I despair that this whole generation doesn't know how to shop or how to cook.

Cooking very simple foods at home is the absolute cheapest way I can live. Meat, veg, rice/pasta/couscous/potato side, meat and salad lunches... I will never get the not being able to afford to 'eat healthy'.

I agree.... There was a time in my poor past where I lived on ground beef over white rice with canned veggies from the food pantry.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Historically, only a small fraction of people needed to know how to cook well, because meals were far more communal than they are in the era of the 1.6 kid nuclear family.

Everybody knowing how to cook would actually be the historical anomaly.

Cooking isn't evolutionary, there's been single family households for more than long enough for a reasonable expectation to exist that the majority of people in first world countries should know how to cook the basics.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    kavahni wrote: »
    Protein powder, detox, cleanse, flush, toxins, thigh gap, spot reduce, keto, paleo, Jillian Michaels.
    And, kind of meanly, "loose weight." If it's loose, tie it down!

Protein powder? Why protein powder?
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    sjaplo wrote: »
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    dale050467 wrote: »
    using loose instead of lose

English speaking grammer Nazis who seem to assume that everyone who communicates in English speaks English as a first language and must therefore be perfect at it.

I corrected my mistake Herr Generaloberst.

Huh. Loose and lose. See the thing is they are two different words with two different meanings. It's nothing to do with grammar Nazism - because it isn't grammar. The opposite of loose is tight, the opposite of lose is gain. You might as well say " I want to apricot weight" because it makes as much sense.

I bolded your statement because I fail to understand why you took offence to learning something new - if English is indeed a second language for you then you now know the difference and can use either word correctly in the future. "Ich bien ein berliner" if you see what I mean?

I don't think people actually think that "loose" and "lose" are interchangeable or that "loose" is the right word.
    I'm pretty sure it's just a simple typo that their spell-checker/autocorrect doesn't fix.

Same with "weigh" vs "weight."
    I doubt people would say "I "weight" myself on Mondays" on purpose. It's just that many words that have "gh" at the end also end with a "t" (weight, height, thought, bought, brought, thought, caught...) so when typing "gh" the fingers habitually hit the "t" key. This doesn't happen to me on my phone when typing with my thumbs but on a keyboard I have to go back all the time and remove the unnecessary "t."
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    sjaplo wrote: »
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    dale050467 wrote: »
    using loose instead of lose

English speaking grammer Nazis who seem to assume that everyone who communicates in English speaks English as a first language and must therefore be perfect at it.

I corrected my mistake Herr Generaloberst.

Huh. Loose and lose. See the thing is they are two different words with two different meanings. It's nothing to do with grammar Nazism - because it isn't grammar. The opposite of loose is tight, the opposite of lose is gain. You might as well say " I want to apricot weight" because it makes as much sense.

I bolded your statement because I fail to understand why you took offence to learning something new - if English is indeed a second language for you then you now know the difference and can use either word correctly in the future. "Ich bien ein berliner" if you see what I mean?

I don't think people actually think that "loose" and "lose" are interchangeable or that "loose" is the right word.
    I'm pretty sure it's just a simple typo that their spell-checker/autocorrect doesn't fix.

Same with "weigh" vs "weight."
    I doubt people would say "I "weight" myself on Mondays" on purpose. It's just that many words that have "gh" at the end also end with a "t" (weight, height, thought, bought, brought, thought, caught...) so when typing "gh" the fingers habitually hit the "t" key. This doesn't happen to me on my phone when typing with my thumbs but on a keyboard I have to go back all the time and remove the unnecessary "t."

I have a love/hate relationship with autocorrect. Sigh.
  • Carlos_421
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I hate the term "pigging out" when referring to self. It's so self hating.
    If I say I pigged out, I'm probably bragging. Lol
    pinuplove wrote: »
    English is not my first language, so I don't get what's wrong with talking about "muscle tone" or "being toned"? Just had a quick glance at Wikipedia, and the word seems related to muscle.

It is. Atonic literally means 'lacking muscular tone.' So tone is technically fine to say.

However, when someone says they want to 'tone up' I still always picture this:
    jovpf0g7ojde.gif

Thanks! Maybe there are certain negative connotations that you only have as a native speaker. But there have been a couple of people here in this thread that are bothered by someone saying muscle tone or getting toned. Then they seem to be wrong, not the people who say that.

There is a misconception that a person's muscles may be soft and "un-toned" and that working out with light weights or cardio will "tone" those muscles, making them tighter and firmer (appearing smaller). However, that's not actually how things work so when people take issue with people wanting to "tone," it has more to do with this misconception than the word itself.

The truth is that muscle is denser and firmer than fat so if your arm feels soft and squishy, it's because you have fat in your arm. The way to "get toned" then is to either 1) lose the fat to reveal the muscle underneath or 2) build the muscle (making it bigger) so that it can be seen/felt in contrast to the fat.
    However, people think that if they're not too overweight and they feel soft, it's not due to the presence of fat and their muscles are just soft/fluffy, which is not really the case.