The things you remember doing when you were young?

Options
167891012»

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I remember my parents 3-bedroom, 1.5 bath house, 1700 square ft, had a tiny library room with a wall of book shelves and upon the bookshelves were an encyclopedia set and a complete set of Detroit Diesel service manuals for Series 53, 71, and 92 engines. There was room for one chair and one old 13" B&W TV in that room. The TV stayed off and I spent hours in there reading either the encyclopedias, which were already obsolete, or the service manuals. Dad was a nut buster.
  • HooperDrivesTheBoatChief
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    I lived near a water treatment plant and we (literally all the kids in the neighborhood) used to sneak in and walk around in one of the ponds. It was covered in a thick white foam.

I also played a LOT of Snood.

Do you have super powers now?? ;)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I lived near a water treatment plant and we (literally all the kids in the neighborhood) used to sneak in and walk around in one of the ponds. It was covered in a thick white foam.

Yes! I almost asked the SAME thing!

That post reminded me of my neighborhood group in the mid 80s. We would crawl through empty waiter drainage tunnels all over our town. There would be the odd pentagram or graffiti down there and so many of the kids were sure it was the work of Satanic killers. It was during the 80s "Satanic panic". If it wasn't that, they were fretting about paranormal activity. I thought I was cool because I wasn't concerned about Satanists or ghosts and now I realize for a chubby 9 yr old girl with a spiral perm, I really was kind of cool. :open_mouth:
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options

Yes! And a strange rash, but back to the super powers..
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I remember my parents 3-bedroom, 1.5 bath house, 1700 square ft, had a tiny library room with a wall of book shelves and upon the bookshelves were an encyclopedia set and a complete set of Detroit Diesel service manuals for Series 53, 71, and 92 engines. There was room for one chair and one old 13" B&W TV in that room. The TV stayed off and I spent hours in there reading either the encyclopedias, which were already obsolete, or the service manuals. Dad was a nut buster.

A nut buster? :lol:
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    When we were about 11 and 12 my brother and I decided to give my barbie dolls and his wrestling (whatever you call them...basically dolls) "plastic surgery" and "tattoos". We drew tattoos on them, and carved up their bodies.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    At the bus stop waiting for the school bus daring each other to touch the electric fence (middle of nowhere country living)
  • Jordan1906
    Jordan1906 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was a massive tom boy. So I used to bmx bike and skateboard so lots of memories of hospital visits and injuries !
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    At the bus stop waiting for the school bus daring each other to touch the electric fence (middle of nowhere country living)

I was a city kid but went to the country in the summer. Friends and I were crossing a shallow creek when I was shocked by the electric fence and it gave me a pretty bad jolt. Later that day I started crying in the supermarket because I thought I would die by nightfall...thanks to my friend's sister repeatedly saying "OMG you were electrocuted" LOL
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Drank this out of the can

31fx0py2hNL.jpg
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    We had an Atari. Like the original one cause it was new then. I'm old

I still have an original Atari. It's pretty glitchy and most of my games don't work anymore, but fun to pull out when I'm feeling nostalgic.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    hitchhiking everywhere, my cousins first reel-to-reel tape player with Chuck Berry's "My Ding-a-ling" on it, my (then) girlfriends father got a "Pong" game and we played it on their console TV.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I discovered that a store of some kind had a room in the back where big boys raced slot cars. I'd go with my brother and his buddy to that place and watch the slot car races. Good times.

Playing with fire. I started a campfire with a box of matches on the kitchen linoleum floor.
    I think Dad was more pissed at the wasted matches.
    Not so good times.
  • BecomingMoreAwesome
    Options
    kaizaku wrote: »
    We had an Atari. Like the original one cause it was new then. I'm old

Wow, I had one. Is that the one with a joystick and one red button?

Yup
    And we had a PC Junior

Wow, did you also have a parent who worked for IBM? We had a pc jr, because ibm practically gave them away to employees after they bombed.
  • dwrightlaw
    dwrightlaw Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    After a heavy rain I'd go out and collect frogs and put them in a paper grocery bag...I don't know why I did that...weird
  • michaelogle9284
    michaelogle9284 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Flipped porta-pottys for fun