August 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Read an article recently that said running makes you 7-10 years younger - I think you would be happy to have larger thighs in trade for that :lol::lol:

• hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Today was a gorgeous day... like 65-70 degrees when I got off of work.... one can't just NOT run when August gives you weather like that. Right?

So I ran... and now I am hanging out with a bag of ice. As has been my general operating mode lately, "not my brightest idea."

It was REALLY slow. But it also makes my heart happy to know I still CAN/still have the endurance to get a decent run in. Now whether I SHOULD.... yeah... not the brightest child, clearly.

PS- I cannot contribute to this random calf to thigh ratio conversation until I am back home from workweek travel. But y'all do have me curious now.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I didn't get the rain, but I did get temps in the upper 50's (F). Such a wonderful run. My HR was 20 points lower than it was last week on the same route.

8.1 miles for the day, 14.2 for the month, out of a 100 mile goal.

After the run and shower I took the family out for dinner. Walking out to my truck afterwards, I felt an odd pain in my right Achilles. Hmmmm...not happy about that. it's a different pain than what I've had in the past. I may have gotten back into it a little too aggressively.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    The way I view my chunky calves is that they're really skinny, but because I'm short the muscles are compact......

I'll admit my thighs need work - there's too much non-muscle going on there - that's why I'm back in the gym doing squats.
  • Don_WM_
    Don_WM_ Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    All you ladies bemoaning your large calves: Stop that right now! Large calves are attractive. They mean you have a well-developed gastrocnemius, and you can run. This is a survival trait. You don't need to out-run the bear, you only need to out-run the fashion model with skinny calves.

I agree!

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    All you ladies bemoaning your large calves: Stop that right now! Large calves are attractive. They mean you have a well-developed gastrocnemius, and you can run. This is a survival trait. You don't need to out-run the bear, you only need to out-run the fashion model with skinny calves.

Yes, surviving the zombie apocalypse is basically going to ride on calves and quads people- there's a reason Rick is always running :D

Hahaha!
  • Elise4270
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @Irontri7 What did you and your foot decide about running, cross training and rest?

My husband has shin splints but has chosen to go back to his old shoe and continue running. So I guess it's not that bad, and I was hoping yours would still allow some training. And we love having you here. (I didn't run for 4-6 months and still stopped in to bother support and learn from the group.

I'm up early. No running today. Saturday and Sunday are longer runs and I don't want to start out on tired legs- nerve niggle anyway. I went to bed at 2030 and woke without being exausted.

DH turns it down to 65f/18c at night. Which would be great sleeping, but he takes all the blankets and I'm left with something 30 years old that's thin and has holes. And I think my fat cat is annoying at that time because she's cold and won't sleep. Or shes just a kitten! Oh I get it MFP...

I threatened to get sleeping bag last week. Think I'll just have to do that. DH already has 2-3 blankets if I add another, he might take it. Well he won't if it's the thin holy one. Good luck taking my sleeping bag.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @Orphia Congrats on your longest run ever!! You are going to be so ready for your marathon. I can't wait to hear how it goes!
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 sounds like DH needs to stop at the flower shop pretty soon.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    @Elise4270 sounds like DH needs to stop at the flower shop pretty soon.

:lol: He wasn't being mean. My daughter use to tell me I had "man legs and to never wear a dress". Reminded me of Seinfelds man hands episode. :blush:

He's been told to not waste money on flowers :wink: someone to come clean, absolutely!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Did you see that RoadID has glitter bands for a limited time only? I think might get one for my wife.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    8.3 very slow comfortable miles this am. My training only call for 10 as my long run tomorrow. Any clue as to the record for number of pages in a month. We are at 14, it's the 4th and the day just began.
    exercise.png

• PastorVincent
    Options
    Not sure if I will run today as I have TWO races tomorrow... but they are both 5ks so not like they will be that hard. One is through a park with only double digit elevation, with is so extremely un heard of around here. Still would stink to pull an injury this close to two races