All of my friends are getting bigger............

Options

Replies

• jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I once read that statistically, women are very likely to put on weight after the start of a long-term relationship. Wherever it was claimed it was because it comes naturally to someone dishing up food to give both adults exactly the same size of portion.

No idea if this is true, but it's interesting.

This is totally what happened to me. Well this, and the general "nesting" where you cook comfort food and spend time at home because we were so exhausted after the wedding. (Also my maid of honour was in the throws of end stage cancer and died two months after the wedding - So comfort eating was a thing ). It's only been in the last year and a half that I've been viewing my eating habits as separate from hubby but in that first year I easily put on 50 lbs! Seems to just be a cycle that happens. Now I'm losing again and setting myself up with sustainable habits.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I once read that statistically, women are very likely to put on weight after the start of a long-term relationship. Wherever it was claimed it was because it comes naturally to someone dishing up food to give both adults exactly the same size of portion.

No idea if this is true, but it's interesting.

I'll over another bit of anecdata to the pile - my only significant weight gain came after I met my spouse seven years ago. He's got many excellent qualities, but good food and exercise choices are not among them, and I just fell right in with the eating out and driving places instead of walking or public transit. To make things worse, we met right at the time when he was starting that late twenties transition some men have where they go from effortlessly skinny to obese in the course of a few years without conscious change in diet or exercise.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    I see or get this sort of reaction from people all the time. I was at a lunch meeting with a vendor rep and she asked a coworker and I what we each do to stay fit (my coworker had lost a noticeable amount of weight since our last face-to-face meeting, while this individual is significantly overweight). We both replied with similar answers that boiled down to "exercise and reasonable nutrition". Her response was "that sounds like a lot of work, I don't have time for that" as she sipped her diet coke...