All of my friends are getting bigger............

Options

Replies

• jaymijones
    jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    kokonani wrote: »
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    Mom used to say "fat and happy, skinny and sad". That has been true my entire life. Why? Comfort eating and confident in the love no matter the shape or size. It is easier than you think to gain a few pounds here and there and shrug it off. At the end of the day it comes down to wanting a better body for yourself and making the changes to get there.

I've had (former) friends who dropped me when I got fit. As long as we were all struggling it was fine, but get thinner and fit and you're somehow a threat, even if you're absolutely not. You realize those aren't real friends after all. These days I make better choices all around - food, fitness AND friends. B)
    I agree. When we are fit, thin, and healthy, people stop being nice. Even "friends" find something to say about you out of jealousy, or whatever it is they feel towards you. Even on this app, people don't want to hear that you weigh 120#. I think that thin people get mistreated and don't get the respect as the heavier people in the midst of their weight loss,.. Although we started out at unhealthy levels just like the rest of them..

I have definitely noticed a few friend's distancing themselves as my weight has gone down, but I have rarely experienced someone being openly rude about it. What I have noticed is that I get treated better by others in general. I won't blaim "thin privilege," because I think it has more to do with my overall demeanor than my actual clothing size. One year ago I was very depressed and angry all the time (not because of my weight, but it didn't help either) I think it showed on my face. Who wants to interact with the always grumpy person? Now that I have my depression managed and am generally happier overall, partially because I'm finally learning how to practice self care, I tend to have those around me treat me with more kindness and respect than before. I doubt my weightloss has very much to do with it.

Though I'm willing to believe there are those out there who treat the overweight population with distain simply because they are overweight. I'm sure it happens. This thread more or less proves that.

And while I have not personally experienced anyone being rude about my weightloss I will admit to knowing a few people who would absolutely be rude and mean about it were they to ever find out how much I have lost. They don't know because I have chosen to limit my exposure to them for that and other reasons. Part of my depression management and self care included realizing I didn't have to interact with mean, judgmental people, so most of them were long gone before my weight loss became noticeable.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I once read that statistically, women are very likely to put on weight after the start of a long-term relationship. Wherever it was claimed it was because it comes naturally to someone dishing up food to give both adults exactly the same size of portion.

No idea if this is true, but it's interesting.

This is exactly what happened to me. When I was single, I'd eat a can of corn, or whatever was one hand. Once we moved in together it was a big production eating and cooking fancy dinners, drinking wine together, eating out and long weekend pub crawls.

We still eat out a little, but I do all the meal planning at home. And I may be a buzzkill, but after losing the 75# I gained since getting married, I pass on day drinking altogether.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I once read that statistically, women are very likely to put on weight after the start of a long-term relationship. Wherever it was claimed it was because it comes naturally to someone dishing up food to give both adults exactly the same size of portion.

This is exactly what happened to me. When I was single, I'd eat a can of corn, or whatever was one hand. Once we moved in together it was a big production eating and cooking fancy dinners, drinking wine together, eating out and long weekend pub crawls.

We still eat out a little, but I do all the meal planning at home. And I may be a buzzkill, but after losing the 75# I gained since getting married, I pass on day drinking altogether.

That's an interesting point. Before moving in with my husband I would eat on the fly and often not make a meal, just a snack or whatnot. Now I feel obliged to make a proper meal of an evening.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    I don't see how it is acceptable to "let yourself go" because you feel comfortable with someone and are no longer motivated to impress that person with your physical appearance (taking into account aging, babies, and medical conditions, of course). The shape that you were in when you committed to being in a relationship should be the baseline going forward.

I just don't think it's even that intentional. I was at my lowest weight ever when I met my husband. Living alone, I didn't want to bother cooking extensive meals for myself, so I would eat a bowl of cereal, soup, frozen meal, and then go to yoga all night. After I moved in with my (soon-to-be) husband, I actually wanted to cook nice meals for this person I loved. A lazy bowl of cereal turned into yummy lasagnas with wine, and other delicious foods. Both my husband and I were eating richer, more calorie dense foods than normal and we both gained a few pounds.

"(taking into account aging, babies, and medical conditions, of course)"

But this is really the key of it all - just LIFE. After our wedding I had two babies and two knee injuries. Tired from back-to-back babies and no longer able to perform the exercise I preferred.... well, now I'm here on MFP trying to lose weight.

Did I intentionally "let myself go"? No, but life happens.

Yes, I agree with that. Wasn't intentionally paying attention and before you know it...bam, you look in the mirror and see someone you don't expect. Been there and it's quite surprising.
  • tkc616
    tkc616 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    have children lol! Life gets busy- people stress eat, drink, and don't work out- raising kids is tough especially when you have to work full time on top of it! Yes- you need to make yourself a priority but it's hard when you are responsible for people other than yourself!!!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    KelseyRL wrote: »

This might be slightly off topic, but is it always the case that men and women can't have the same serving size? My husband and are with an inch of each other for height (5' 9"/5' 10") and although he's is slightly broader than I in the shoulders, it's not much. I can wear his shirts around the house and the shoulder of them is only slightly below my natural shoulder. So I guess I'm asking if a man and woman happened to be the same height/build, would the woman still need less just because of being a woman? Or is just that men are usually larger than women?

My hubby is nearly 30kgs (66lbs) heavier than me and 2" taller and i eat a lot more than him! The difference is that I'm active and he is not.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I'm 38yrs old and I see this happening to people in my peer group. Mom friends, acquaintances, people you see in the community that are around my age etc. Many factors including eating most meals in the car, from a window. Especially if you work full time, have multiple kids in activities after school, thus spending a large amount of time on the road, on the field, eating on the fly etc.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kokonani wrote: »
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    Mom used to say "fat and happy, skinny and sad". That has been true my entire life. Why? Comfort eating and confident in the love no matter the shape or size. It is easier than you think to gain a few pounds here and there and shrug it off. At the end of the day it comes down to wanting a better body for yourself and making the changes to get there.

I've had (former) friends who dropped me when I got fit. As long as we were all struggling it was fine, but get thinner and fit and you're somehow a threat, even if you're absolutely not. You realize those aren't real friends after all. These days I make better choices all around - food, fitness AND friends. B)

I agree. When we are fit, thin, and healthy, people stop being nice. Even "friends" find something to say about you out of jealousy, or whatever it is they feel towards you. Even on this app, people don't want to hear that you weigh 120#. I think that thin people get mistreated and don't get the respect as the heavier people in the midst of their weight loss,.. Although we started out at unhealthy levels just like the rest of them..

This didn't happen to me at all. ALL of the reactions I got to my weight loss were positive. I'm still 125, though. I know people smaller than me, though, and they don't think being 120 or under is frowned upon.

I know plenty of people on this site in great shape/fit/thin, and I find them inspiring, especially if they've maintained a while.
  • noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Dude if I found out you were secretly one of my friends, I would be really hurt by your thoughtless posts. It doesn't matter how fat your friends get, really...

This... simply put
  • amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    That's their business.