Culking Bishes!!! Winter2016 / Spring 2017

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    For those who are doing BLS and TLS, if you are having recovery issues, it may be worth changing programs for addef frequency. I switched to PHUL after havinh major recovery issues. 3 weeks in and having very little DOMS. And i am seeing increases in volume daily.

Once i plateau with PHUL, i will be moving to PHAT. But i am hopinh to join the 1000 lb club before i have to change.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I've got an SI joint injury, so I'm no longer doing my meet in July. No squats/deadlifts until further notice.
    Going to focus on the cut a bit more and do bodybuilduh things. (I'm down to about 130 carbs now that we adjusted down for not being in meet prep, which seems like nothing. :'( But I digress.. )

Had a big "whoosh" this week though, which puts me around 173 lbs. Feels crazy to think I'll (hopefully!) be in the 160's in the next month. I'd been sitting around 185 for so long!
    Goal is probably 135-140. Maybe less, depending on if I actually have muscles and how lean I need to be before by coach lets me start building haha. Getting to a point where I could actively focus on building muscle and not be overfat has been a huge goal for me. Starting to feel like that's within reach! :)

balls.

I had a left SI joint issue- exacerbated from running it seems. I was able to keep working mostly with physical therapy and one steroid shot as a last ditch effort. I stopped running and it seemed to really go away on it's own- that injury super sucks. I feel for you.

Also- As a 175 pounder myself- I wish you the best of luck trying to get down to 135- that's mighty lean. I don't know how tall you are- but for me- that's to lean for me. My goal this summer for #operationleanAF is 155 pounds. I'm sitting at 175- so it's not really moving along well but it's moving.

But it'll be nice to break the 170 into the 160- I'm with you on that entirely.

good luck with your imbalances and recovery!!!
    Since bodyweight leveled back off from the sodium loading, I'm back at 0.18 lbs./week gained at 2950/3450 kcals on recovery and training days, respectively.
    Sitting around 173 lbs., and hit my first triple for 300 on squats yesterday. I don't know what possessed me to go for the third when I had only programmed a double. I have never made myself grind a squat like that before. I was starting to wonder if I'd make it out alive, after it felt like I wasn't even moving anymore.

yay! congrats on the grinder!!! I find grinding squats is the worst for me- I just really don't do well with it- so any time anyone make it through one- I'm like WOOT WOOT!! YOU"RE THE BEST!!!

As weird as it will sound, I probably would have failed it if I'd have tried last week. I've been obsessively watching the IPF Worlds, and keeping an eye on form breakdowns that cause people to fail lifts has helped me a lot. The whole eyes forward, chest up, force elbows to stay tight did a lot to allow me to grind it out instead of collapsing like I used to.

I had to give a pep talk to a girl last night- (someone called her preganant- which is bullst because she's not anywhere near looking pregnant- I mean it's BS anyway- but I think he was dcking with her on purpose- because she's not over weight at all) anyway- part of this switched into why she didn't squat- and I was telling her to keep working on it- because it's SUPER technical- and you are always continuing to tweak- you never "arrive" you continue to finesse the weak points of it to get as much out of it as you can.

That's interesting- I haven't considered that much- I did learn a lot watching Squat School with Marisa Indres? from Juggernaut- they did a really great break down on her form and how she was able to jump up so much- it's been very helpful- not like- earth shattering- but really helpful in getting a more consistent squat- and I can feel where I break down.

But I like the idea of watching comps and spotting failure points and what's working/not working. I like that.

Eblows tight is a big one for me- keeping my back tight- not so much my chest UP but my back right and meanwhile not trying to splay my ribs. Difficult thing to do for sure.

Yeah, Marisa Inda is a beast. She actually had a pretty bad squat day, but ended up winning the IPF World gold medals for deadlift and total, because Joy Nmera was overconfident and went for the world record deadlift on her second attempt and missed.

Shes going to be in Philly in September with them for a workshop. Unfortunately it's the day of my first anniversary... As my husband does not lift... I feel like buying us both tickets to that will be less than appreciated. And I am epically sad. =(
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I've got an SI joint injury, so I'm no longer doing my meet in July. No squats/deadlifts until further notice.
    Going to focus on the cut a bit more and do bodybuilduh things. (I'm down to about 130 carbs now that we adjusted down for not being in meet prep, which seems like nothing. :'( But I digress.. )

Had a big "whoosh" this week though, which puts me around 173 lbs. Feels crazy to think I'll (hopefully!) be in the 160's in the next month. I'd been sitting around 185 for so long!
    Goal is probably 135-140. Maybe less, depending on if I actually have muscles and how lean I need to be before by coach lets me start building haha. Getting to a point where I could actively focus on building muscle and not be overfat has been a huge goal for me. Starting to feel like that's within reach! :)

balls.

I had a left SI joint issue- exacerbated from running it seems. I was able to keep working mostly with physical therapy and one steroid shot as a last ditch effort. I stopped running and it seemed to really go away on it's own- that injury super sucks. I feel for you.

Also- As a 175 pounder myself- I wish you the best of luck trying to get down to 135- that's mighty lean. I don't know how tall you are- but for me- that's to lean for me. My goal this summer for #operationleanAF is 155 pounds. I'm sitting at 175- so it's not really moving along well but it's moving.

But it'll be nice to break the 170 into the 160- I'm with you on that entirely.

good luck with your imbalances and recovery!!!
    Since bodyweight leveled back off from the sodium loading, I'm back at 0.18 lbs./week gained at 2950/3450 kcals on recovery and training days, respectively.
    Sitting around 173 lbs., and hit my first triple for 300 on squats yesterday. I don't know what possessed me to go for the third when I had only programmed a double. I have never made myself grind a squat like that before. I was starting to wonder if I'd make it out alive, after it felt like I wasn't even moving anymore.

yay! congrats on the grinder!!! I find grinding squats is the worst for me- I just really don't do well with it- so any time anyone make it through one- I'm like WOOT WOOT!! YOU"RE THE BEST!!!

As weird as it will sound, I probably would have failed it if I'd have tried last week. I've been obsessively watching the IPF Worlds, and keeping an eye on form breakdowns that cause people to fail lifts has helped me a lot. The whole eyes forward, chest up, force elbows to stay tight did a lot to allow me to grind it out instead of collapsing like I used to.

I had to give a pep talk to a girl last night- (someone called her preganant- which is bullst because she's not anywhere near looking pregnant- I mean it's BS anyway- but I think he was dcking with her on purpose- because she's not over weight at all) anyway- part of this switched into why she didn't squat- and I was telling her to keep working on it- because it's SUPER technical- and you are always continuing to tweak- you never "arrive" you continue to finesse the weak points of it to get as much out of it as you can.

That's interesting- I haven't considered that much- I did learn a lot watching Squat School with Marisa Indres? from Juggernaut- they did a really great break down on her form and how she was able to jump up so much- it's been very helpful- not like- earth shattering- but really helpful in getting a more consistent squat- and I can feel where I break down.

But I like the idea of watching comps and spotting failure points and what's working/not working. I like that.

Eblows tight is a big one for me- keeping my back tight- not so much my chest UP but my back right and meanwhile not trying to splay my ribs. Difficult thing to do for sure.

Yeah, Marisa Inda is a beast. She actually had a pretty bad squat day, but ended up winning the IPF World gold medals for deadlift and total, because Joy Nmera was overconfident and went for the world record deadlift on her second attempt and missed.

Shes going to be in Philly in September with them for a workshop. Unfortunately it's the day of my first anniversary... As my husband does not lift... I feel like buying us both tickets to that will be less than appreciated. And I am epically sad. =(

Ewww. My girlfriend doesn't lift either, but she's been incredibly supportive of my insane focus on self-improvement. I think she might be warming up to it more though, because she wants us to watch the IPF Worlds open for her weightclass (Inda's class) with me tomorrow, even though it won't be live. She has no idea how it went down, so I've been really cautious not to spill anything.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    concessions must be made- he sacrifices a lot for me and supports me quiet a bit, helps me pick up the slack for my very expensive dance habit.

I'm going to CA for almost 2 weeks- and he encouraged me to do the "extended" trip instead of the shorter one since I was already out there- despite the fact it was an extra 1000 and way more inconvenient for our home life.

Whenever I got to dance festivals and he buys my video and commentary from any competition- so really I cannot complain- and I hope I don't sound like he doesn't support me. My priority right now is my dance- and that's the goal this year- so after all we've struggled to get me certified and going to CA this year- that would just be to much. I unfortunately- as much as I want- cannot actually do all the things.

So- I don't want to sound ungrateful LMAO- he is really truly a gem- and goes out of his way to make sure I'm taken care of- just not for ALL my hobbies LMAO. That's why I say it would probably be a none starter. I did tell him Rock Allegence was in October and it was my one "totally unrelated fun" ask of the year- Rob Zombie, Manson, Five Finger Death Punch, Halestorm, Asking Alexander... I'm wildly excited- I think tickets are only 35$ and I think he's going to go with me. So- we make it work LOL

I wish he had a hobby so I could support him- but he spends a lot of time commuting so he has less time for that stuff.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    concessions must be made- he sacrifices a lot for me and supports me quiet a bit, helps me pick up the slack for my very expensive dance habit.

I'm going to CA for almost 2 weeks- and he encouraged me to do the "extended" trip instead of the shorter one since I was already out there- despite the fact it was an extra 1000 and way more inconvenient for our home life.

Whenever I got to dance festivals and he buys my video and commentary from any competition- so really I cannot complain- and I hope I don't sound like he doesn't support me. My priority right now is my dance- and that's the goal this year- so after all we've struggled to get me certified and going to CA this year- that would just be to much. I unfortunately- as much as I want- cannot actually do all the things.

So- I don't want to sound ungrateful LMAO- he is really truly a gem- and goes out of his way to make sure I'm taken care of- just not for ALL my hobbies LMAO. That's why I say it would probably be a none starter. I did tell him Rock Allegence was in October and it was my one "totally unrelated fun" ask of the year- Rob Zombie, Manson, Five Finger Death Punch, Halestorm, Asking Alexander... I'm wildly excited- I think tickets are only 35$ and I think he's going to go with me. So- we make it work LOL

I wish he had a hobby so I could support him- but he spends a lot of time commuting so he has less time for that stuff.

I know them feels. She also goes to shows with me whenever our schedules line up. Last one was saw was Tesseract, The Contortionist, Erra, and Skyharbor about a year and a half ago. I was really hoping to be able to get her to the Katatonia show here a couple of months ago, but shows during the weekdays are nearly impossible for us. I've already seen Katatonia and Opeth together once, back in 2013, and the only word I can use to describe it was "ethereal".

I was also amused between the sets, as I overheard a conversation between two guys about how "fat guy has strength" and "lean veiny guys are show muscle". Dude's clearly never watched the smaller weight classes in PL meets...or he's bad at math and doesn't know what relative strength is.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    My coach made a bet with me. If I can get down to 158.4 by my next competition, he'll train me for free for a month! Argh. You know I'm going to kill myself trying to make that. :#
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited July 2017
    Options
    It's been 18 weeks since my last cut ended. Back up to 175 as of today, and a 12 day rapid cut starts tomorrow. Given the PRs that I've hit, I'll be interested to see where my Wilks falls after I am closer to the 74kg threshold.

Pardon the attire (or lack thereof), as I have to wear those damned things under my singlet to avoid bunching, and I was getting ready for the gym. Going to be interested to see how much of this damned fat I can clip on this run.

• JoRocka
    Options
    Well- I'm back from my crazy intense training in CA. I think I dropped some weight while I was out there- which concerns me (dancing for 6-7 hrs a day for the last week) and I didn't change my diet at all- so either I'm eating to much- or not doing enough cardio here.

But I am not mad at where I am- I'm certainly not lean enough to bulk again in November- so I'm curious as to what my next move will be.
    My coach made a bet with me. If I can get down to 158.4 by my next competition, he'll train me for free for a month! Argh. You know I'm going to kill myself trying to make that. :#

one month in- how goes??

• Gallowmere1984
    Options
    I would say that you're definitely getting into that grey area where you could go either way. Personally, I'd clip another few before bulking again, just so I could ride the gain train a bit longer, but I'd say that's entirely up to you at this point in time.

Hell, for that matter, just ride a couple of months of recomp and see how you feel about it, come October.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I would say that you're definitely getting into that grey area where you could go either way. Personally, I'd clip another few before bulking again, just so I could ride the gain train a bit longer, but I'd say that's entirely up to you at this point in time.

Hell, for that matter, just ride a couple of months of recomp and see how you feel about it, come October.

Exactly what I was thinking.. grey area is a good way to describe it. Thank you!!!!!

I think I can do another 'smallish' cal cut. I really am having trouble with going lower, but I can do it it.

Was not not sure how lean I needed to go this time for another bulk. Unsure my BF% at this point, had a round about estimate when I started.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Another cut and refeed done, as of this past Monday morning. Started at 176, and now at 162. Lyle created a monster with the RFL protocol, and it's definitely serving me well.

Almost a week through reversing kcals upward now. Back to 2400/day, and about to go hit my last day of 1RM testing (deadlifts and strict curl) for my next training block.

vk68zr28yzci.jpg
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Looking great @Gallowmere1984
    Wow it took me over 12 weeks to lose half of what you did :p . I am really dragging this cut out. I only have a few lbs left to go (I hope), and although I am only 5lbs up from my bulk start weight, the difference in my body (especially the booty) is absolutely amazing. Yay for bulking!!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Wow it took me over 12 weeks to lose half of what you did :p . I am really dragging this cut out. I only have a few lbs left to go (I hope), and although I am only 5lbs up from my bulk start weight, the difference in my body (especially the booty) is absolutely amazing. Yay for bulking!!

That's not that bad of a duration, I just prefer going all in on anything. As Lemon has noted, I have an absolutely insane approach to cutting. I've already been through a cut, another bulk, and another cut cycle while most people who hit around the same time are still cutting the first round. Been around 5 months iirc, of which, I spent three months bulking, one month cutting and one month maintenance chasing.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

That's not that bad of a duration, I just prefer going all in on anything. As Lemon has noted, I have an absolutely insane approach to cutting. I've already been through a cut, another bulk, and another cut cycle while most people who hit around the same time are still cutting the first round. Been around 5 months iirc, of which, I spent three months bulking, one month cutting and one month maintenance chasing.

Oh wow... Yea I am still cutting for another bulk in the fall. But see that makes sense if you bulk for 3 months, I typically spend half the amount of time I spent bulking (8 months) cutting.

How much do you gain on your bulks usually?
  • psuLemon
    Options

Do you follow the PSMF, UD 2.0 or another protocol?

BTW, i was given permission to be able to discuss these in this section only, but we aren't recommend it. Only discuss what we do. So progress, lol.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

BTW, i was given permission to be able to discuss these in this section only, but we aren't recommend it. Only discuss what we do. So progress, lol.

RFL for Cat1s, which is what many people refer to as PSMF.

Essentially, I go to 2g protein per pound of bodyweight, 2.7g EPA and 1g DHA from fish oil, and only trace carbs and fats otherwise. Comes out to roughly ~1200 kcals/day. I run this for 12 days of eating pretty much nothing but chicken breast with no rib meat (0.5g fat per 23g pro, roughly) and tuna canned in water.

After those 12 days, I run a two day carb refeed. Day one is roughly 5g carbs per lbs. LBM, and day two is half of that. Protein and fat intake stay pretty much the same, or as close as possible. I accomplish this by doing the entire refeed with potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, peas, and the occasional bit of nearly 0 fat breakfast cereals. Since this also avoids the pitfall of all of the damned sodium in most processed carbs, all of my regained weight ends up being from stored glycogen and not electrolyte water retention.

My theory about all of these guys who "spill over" when carb loading, is that they are actually screwing themselves with sodium from all of the damned pasta and bread that they usually use. DNL takes days of carbohydrate overfeeding to really become a problem, when your body is in the kind of state of glycogen depletion that such diets cause.

Here's me the morning after my last RFL day, before starting my refeed, at 162.9 lbs.:
    b4vmy42jctcv.jpg
    The photo in my previous post is after two days of carb load (~1150g), at 164.2. Note: no massive amounts of water retention in the abdominal area. Yeah, "clean" refeeds do work better, assuming that you don't like the marshmallow look that many get from it.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Oh wow... Yea I am still cutting for another bulk in the fall. But see that makes sense if you bulk for 3 months, I typically spend half the amount of time I spent bulking (8 months) cutting.

How much do you gain on your bulks usually?

This past bulk, I only put on 7 lbs., from 169 to 176. I then cut back to where I am now (162). However, this is only because I want my first PL meet in December to be in the 165 class.

After that, if my math is on point (and it usually is), I should be able to lean bulk until October of 2018 before needing to cut again, as I'll be moving up to the 181s. I'm 5'10", so forcing myself to stay in the 165s would be a very bad idea, in the long term.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

At long last!

I've been doing the origninal variation that Lyle derived UD2.0 from, BodyOpus. I think the calorie intake would scare most people and for those without a very solid grasp on training and nutrition I would not recommend it.

In 6 weeks I went from a bloated 232 to depleted 212lbs.
  • psuLemon
    Options

At long last!

I've been doing the origninal variation that Lyle derived UD2.0 from, BodyOpus. I think the calorie intake would scare most people and for those without a very solid grasp on training and nutrition I would not recommend it.

In 6 weeks I went from a bloated 232 to depleted 212lbs.

Yea. Sometimes it takes a good amount of discussion and research so I can make an informed recommendation. And since I am in this area a lot, they are comfortable with these types of discussion. So just like challenges have modified rules, this section has one modified rule.