All of my friends are getting bigger............

Options
167891012»

Replies

• lorbor93
    lorbor93 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    When you're in high school, your parents are usually still cooking for you (most parents don't feed their kids top ramen every night). Your metabolism is naturally higher. You aren't working 40+ hours a week at a desk. You're probably more active.

Also, like a few others mentioned, you don't feel as compelled to stay trim in a long term relationship because you get comfortable (this is how I gained 40 pounds a few years back). No statistics here, just my personal thoughts.

• MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Life happens. People get married, start working stressful jobs, have kids . . . a lot of people tend to gain weight as they get older. It's not that they "don't care" . . . . they just have other priorities that are taking their focus. I personally worked full-time and then some while I was going to school full-time on evenings and weekends.
    There's nothing wrong with telling your friends what you are doing if they ask, but the tone of your post comes across as a little judgmental. Everyone is different, everyone has different priorities. Try not to call your friends "huge" and you'll have more friends. :)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    MamaMc3 wrote: »
    Life happens. People get married, start working stressful jobs, have kids . . . a lot of people tend to gain weight as they get older. It's not that they "don't care" . . . . they just have other priorities that are taking their focus. I personally worked full-time and then some while I was going to school full-time on evenings and weekends.
    There's nothing wrong with telling your friends what you are doing if they ask, but the tone of your post comes across as a little judgmental. Everyone is different, everyone has different priorities. Try not to call your friends "huge" and you'll have more friends. :)

Keeping healthy, which includes maintaining a reasonable weight, needs to be a priority or you get sick, lose mobility, etc and you can't do the other things.

Diet is 80% + of weight control. It doesn't take any more time to eat x% less of whatever is in front of you so you can meet reasonable calorie goals. Personally don't buy the "priorities" excuse.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I so agree. everyone is getting fat> huh?
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    I don't see how it is acceptable to "let yourself go" because you feel comfortable with someone and are no longer motivated to impress that person with your physical appearance (taking into account aging, babies, and medical conditions, of course). The shape that you were in when you committed to being in a relationship should be the baseline going forward.

Or what? Grounds for divorce?

Yep. My husband is losing his hair -- there's considerably less of it than the day I married him. Using that baseline . . . :smirk: /sarcasm

It's a ridiculous proposition. People change. We're supposed to. It's called life, experience, and aging.

Too bad I didn't include aging as a foreseeable event that changes us...oh yeah, I actually did, it is right there in the thread, lol.