WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2017

Options

Replies

• Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Rye: Chin up, Lady! You’re doing great. My weight loss has been at a glacial pace, averaging 6 pounds a YEAR for past three years. I’m finally within 10 pounds of goal and it’s the friends on this thread who give me hope that I, too, can hit maintenance. I love swimming, and used to do it more when I lived in Hawaii. I did find it left me hungry, actually famished, afterwards. My doctor said that’s normal, as our body wants to hang onto the fat for buoyancy. Be prepared with a big bottle of water or iced tea to help take the edge off the hunger.

Kate: I’m sorry for your friend’s suffering.

Dorrie: Praying today brought good news and hope to your DBIL.

Heather: Your holiday looks and sounds fantastic.

My DH hasn’t had a physical since he entered the USAF over 50 years ago. (Joyce, don’t faint!) Today, we took the first step towards getting a current profile of his overall health. We met with my Osteopath, and she now has him set up for blood, colon, memory and other screenings. Although he never so much as even gets a cold or headache, he has lost 20 pounds in two years without trying. At six-feet ½ inches, he weighs 145 pounds. So, consultations with a nutritionist at this integrative medicine group is also in the near term plans. The psychologist on staff will do the memory assessment test later this month.

I haven’t taken a business or leisure trip since early June. This long spell at home is making me antsy, but I have to say it’s been good for my scale victories. Nothing beats daily home cooking and 6x a week workouts in the condo gym. DH and the leash-loving cat are very, very happy with our routines. Sooooo, I guess I’ll be grateful for this time.

My neighbor had a bike gathering cobwebs on her deck. I wanted to borrow it, and she outright gave it to me. It’s a good bike, but needed a new fork, so I took it to a reputable shop and will get it back tomorrow. There’s something to look forward to!!!! A new activity for burning cals.

Stay well friends. We can do this.
    Rori
    Colorado Foothills

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,905 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Poerava14 wrote: »
    I haven’t taken a business or leisure trip since early June. This long spell at home is making me antsy,

:mrgreen: ... I'm like that too! 6 weeks without going anywhere, and I'm breaking out the brochures and looking up travel sites.

Poerava14 wrote: »
    My neighbor had a bike gathering cobwebs on her deck. I wanted to borrow it, and she outright gave it to me. It’s a good bike, but needed a new fork, so I took it to a reputable shop and will get it back tomorrow. There’s something to look forward to!!!! A new activity for burning cals.

Excellent! :)

Cycling definitely helps me get through the times I can't travel. On weekends, we try to cycle to a different place each time, or a place we haven't been in a long time.

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening my dear Friends,

Felecia, congrats on your promotion. Way to go!!!

Pip. Short from where I sit but you look fantastic either way.

Lanette, Rosie is just cute as a bug. I do hope some of the smoke gets blown away from you and all the others suffering. (later) My DH says, “What goes around comes around” all the time too. lol

MicheleNC, I agree that the lady in FL should have let you know she couldn’t get the plaque done. Glad you didn’t prepay.

Becca, so sorry to hear your son is having doubts but I do agree that that is probably normal. I hope you will both feel better soon.

Joyce, I just love hearing about Charlie playing with Mr. M. You need to get a picture of them.

Gloria, what in the world are you doing posting at that hour? I hope you had been to sleep and woke up in the middle of the night.

Allie, so glad you got your new phone. Are you giving Tomcat the number?

Heather, great pictures from Helsinki. Are they from a phone or camera?

Kate, that is so sad about your friend. I agree that losing a child has to be one of the worse things on earth. So sad.

Okie, enjoy your friend. That’s great that she will eat what you eat so you aren’t tempted.

Katla, I can’t imagine putting the hose away and in the garage after each use when it is used so often. I understand not leaving it strung out across the yard but I’d probably never get it out again. But then I’m lazy.

Rye, I know it get discouraging when we eat right and don’t lose but look at the other options. Not good. Like you said, you feel better so hang in there. You may want to try to change up your macros a bit. Add more protein or change your carb intake. Sometimes just a change will give you the boost to lose faster. Good luck.

KarenVA , Olivia is such a doll but getting so big!

Rori, so glad you are getting DH to the doc. Cool deal on your new bike.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto all the Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Even though we had a 50% chance of rain today, late morning it cleared up and the sun actually came out for the rest of the day. It would have been a good afternoon for the beach.

Sending love, good thoughts and cool sunshine to all of you.

I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,563 Member
    Options
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,352 Member
    Options
    Went to the deep water class. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Jari Love DVD.

After exercise went to the Salvation Army then to WalMart Neighborhood Market to pick up a prescription for Vince.

Joyce - we get these lightweight balls at WalMart. You can only get them there, we haven't found them anywhere else. They are made by Hartz and called Just for Cats. They're light but the opening is large enough for them to carry the ball around (no, they won't swallow it). I tell you, Clyde LOVES them. He carries that ball all over the house. We keep a stock of them, I find them everywhere. Does Mr. Mozart leave the balls of paper in his water dish? You might very well find them there. In the case of these balls, they're made of light plastic so it's not a big deal for them to get wet.

Kate - my deepest sorrow for your friend. How horrible!

Carol - hope the Pom heals. It's so hard seeing our furbabies in pain

Josephine - what part of Virginia are you in? My daughter lives in Reston

Went to the Salvation Army and found a blouse that I'm thinking I might like, then to WalMart to pick up one of Vince's prescriptions. While I was getting in the car to leave Vince called to remind me that I had an appt for a Prolia injection. I'd completely forgotten! So run over to the hospital to get it. Now home. Saw on facebook that the mother of a friend of Jess' is home from the hosp, so I might send her some brownies. I don't want to send anything that needs refrigeration. Update: I tried the new recipe for the brownies. Basically, it's brownies with marshmallow and then chocolate on top.

Becca - I agree, don't cry. I haven't seen my son in over 4 years.

We have a dance lesson tonight

Question: Denise asked if we had a song that we'd like played as we are entering the reception. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking of "we are family" and Vince and I go in dancing. Not formal enough? Maybe us dancing as we go in would break the ice. What do you all think? Do you have any suggestions for a song we can enter to? Update: Vince doesn't want "we are family".

Dana - what a cute creamer. I have one that's in the shape of a cow.

nanahana - welcome! You'll love this place. Great for ideas, too. We talk about just about everything (except religion and politics). There are times when I really wish Mother Nature would get her meds adjusted!!!....lol

Vince feels very strongly that I should make a favor for every invitee to the shower. I just spoke to Jess who said that she sent out 28 invites not including the two that Maria added. Now there will be people who won't come. Like I know that she sent an invite to my girlfriend, Carol, to each of her houses, and I doubt she'll come. So I think I'll make 4 more. I have 4 more wine cork keychains. I'll go to ACMoore tomorrow and ask for beads and take the charms that I need and hopefully they have them. then I'll go to WalMart to get some of the seeds and the tissue paper. 28 favors should be plenty.

Rori - congrats on that bike! You did great getting it

Michele in NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,932 Member
    Options
    469367makfzcur9b.gif Stats for today:

*15,000 steps
    *200 minutes walking Sasha and Bessie
    *92 minutes riding the exercise bike
    *taught the two hour line dance class
    *two hour nap
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Rori, at first I didn't see the comma and I thought you said your DH was having colon memory testing. Was wondering what in the world that was. Glad he is finally after 50 years getting tested. That's a tall trim dude you have.

I don't have a picture of Charlie and Mr MOzart but here are some pictures of him for your enjoyment! The one is what I call the green tube, Christina got several cat toys for men for Christmasone year because of how much I wanted Melody to play. I Would occasionally see her play but not very often. So she got me some toys. This green tube was one of them. My kitten is the opposite. He loves it. I have a leg furry purple snake and I use it with the tube and he goes crazy. He will be inside it and playing with the snake that is out on the outside. He fights that thing, is just ferocious with it. Notice the tail put one of the two holes. That is one of my favorite things about him. He runs around the house with that tail just straight up.

0o0ofts34cyi.jpeg
    wb1yeblcn74s.jpeg

It's evening time and I took a picture of these with my iPAd off of my phone so I hope the color comes out.

Joyce, Indiana
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I am back to just posting flowers on here.

4og2p7cgecib.jpg

I will not post my whining. No worries.
    Becca
    Oregon
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Becca, we have to have your wisdom, your life with your husband, boys and neighbors. Just remember what the white side of the page is for. Yes, your pictures of flowers are so lovely, but we want you.

Joyce
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,233 Member
    Options
    I have never seen so many docks as St Petersburg! Miles and miles of them. We are docking in the city centre!!
    Sorry I'm not taking pics here on my phone. Don't want to risk the charges that Vodafone have invented. I'm on my tablet now. DH will be using the normal camera, but that can't be downloaded until we get home. Anyone interested could Google some.
    Today we have a morning coach tour - 3 hours - A Glimpse of St Petersburg. :D I'm a bit worried about toilets, so had less tea for breakfast. We have to go on a tour as the visa requirements are difficult. DH knows the city as he has worked here, but it, and Russia are new to me. :p I'm very excited. Have to have forms etc for customs. Mustn't forget anything!

Rori - Glad your DH is finally getting checked out. My DH is 6 ft, 150 lbs and liable to drop weight if I don't check up on him. He is super fit though.

I slept well last night. Hooray! First time on the cruise I had more than five hours.

Karen Love the Olivia photo! <3

Rye - 4 lbs a month is great and about the same rate as I did it. I lost 57 lbs in 19 months. Being hungry is not fun though. I ate up to 1800 calories as I ate back all my exercise calories on most days. 1100 is too low and will make you miserable and HANGRY. Do you like vegetables? Filling up on veggies is a great way to stave off hunger - could be cooked, raw, or as soup. I would calculate your exercise calories and eat most of them. Giving up is not an option. Plus, buy yourself some new fab clothes that make you feel good about your loss. :D
    I always have a banana before going swimming, or I get a really horrible hypo which lasts all day. Never swim on an empty stomach.

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Good Evening,

Thought I would check in, and let you know that I have changed my user name from MartiB56.
    I did not make any goals for this month, I made it through July's goals but I quit trying this month, I just got down on myself. I have to admit that is the reason that I have a new user name (I deleted my account) but it has become such a habit to log my food and read all of your posts that I missed it. So since I had to create a new account, I went for a different user name.
    My husband has had the past 2 weeks off on vacation and we have been working through the Honey Do list. We have two items left on the list that we hope to accomplish tomorrow, but if not that is okay - because we got alot done.

Becca: Love your pictures, You look good with long hair. My hair is short, I like wash and wear.

Hope everyone has a wonderful evening.

Marti
    Eastern Oregon

Glad you missed us and came back, we missed you too. We all have been where you are. I get down on myself all the time. I have a very hard time not doing that and it makes it hard to move forward. We are all here for you and we all feel your struggle believe me.

Hang in there, move forward and take one baby step at a time. (((Hugs)))

Janetr OKC
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    good morning! Good morning! Happy Saturday!
    Lisa- Egg! So sweet! I just love that smokey colored fur!
    Karen VA- Olivia is getting so strong! Sitting up on her own! How old is she? She is only a few weeks older than Joaquin, correct? It is a great picture!
    Becca, Dana and other long distance mommas- I am in there with you! So hard to be so far away. <3
    Pip- $985! You are almost there!
    Marti- good to see you still with us! Thanks for the update on your name change. Remember to sign your posts, otherwise I probably will get confused!
    Rye- Like a few of the ladies have told you, try adding a few more calories on your days that you swim. Healthy calories. On the days that I swim, I add about 300-500 more calories; mostly from protein. Nuts/nut butters, meat, cottage cheese, protein bar/shake. Protein sticks with you a little longer to keep you full AND your body uses it more efficiently than carbs. Our bodies are complicated machines in the fact that we need to find the best balance to get them to work at their best. With your calorie allowance as low as you have it, your body is probably hanging onto everything it has thinking it is going to need all of that extra stored energy/fat. A few extra calories could be the key to helping your body let go.
    Katla or Karen NY- Some one posted about having lunch and dinner out in one day and the havoc it caused your system. I am faced with this today. I am thinking I will eat a bit of lunch at home, so that I can just eat light (salad maybe) when I meet a friend for lunch. Then DH and I have a dinner date tonight. No place fancy, just a get away, bc we NEVER eat out together.
    Well, gotta fly. I will be mowing today as the temps look to be pretty low (low 70's)! Off to get shopping done. errands run. mowing. then lunch with a friend and dinner with DH. Whew! Gonna be a day! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    That's right Allie you are moving on girl and even though it's hard, it's gonna be towards a life you deserve
    Nykaren
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,563 Member
    Options
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Joyce: If you have holes in the leaves of a new plant it is likely there is some bug eating the leaf that creates those holes. I am an advocate of avoiding nasty chemicals. The insect spray I use when I need one is called Fox Farm Don't Bug Me. Its active ingredient is pyrethrum, which comes from chrysanthemum flowers. It works for me and doesn't endanger my pets or wild birds. I bought my bottle several years ago at Ace Hardware. I don't have to use it very often. :flowerforyou:

Machka: I am so impressed by all of your cycling. It certainly seems to boost your health and happiness. :smiley:

Karen: I love the photo of the girl and the baby playing music together. Thanks for explaining the relationships. :heart:

Lanette: I agree with every word of your advice but I don't want to follow through with it. The hose is mine and I pay for the water. I have one outdoor faucet and my stretchy hose isn't close to long enough to get the job done. I have a drip water system that waters my plants automatically, though, & I probably could put the hose away if watering plants was the only thing that I use if for. DH likes the idea very much. I'm reluctant to do it because I use that hose to wash my deck. I'd have to get it out, drag it around the house from the garage and hook it up every time the deck needs to be hosed off. That would be a lot of frequent work and effort on my part, getting the hose out of the garage and hooking it back up every week or so all summer long, then putting it away again. It is currently located where it is convenient for me. I don't see a reasonable option that is a win for me other than her leaving my hose alone. :grumble:

Rori: I am so impressed by all that you do. (((HUGS)))

KJLaMore: I had lunch & dinner out the same day. The problem for me wasn't calories. I managed that part pretty well. One meal or the other caused huge digestive upsets for both DH and me. We didn't eat the same thing at either restaurant. Both of us think it was the dinner that caused problems. We had different seafood dishes and they were both below par by a long ways. I'm sure the seafood potions came out of the freezer, were thawed & dumped into the dish each of us ordered. I will attest that my crab was dry and unappetizing. Then we both spent the night visiting the bathroom frequently. Luckily we have more than one bathroom. :grumble:

Allie: I am so happy for you. Your plans are excellent and I love that you're putting your own happiness first. I will be even happier when everything is done and you can move on without Tom dragging you down and making you feel bad about yourself. :flowerforyou:

No riding this weekend, and it looks like the day might include a bit of rain. I'm busy thinking of ways to put some fun into the day.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."