40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• nelja
    nelja Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    @Djproulx or anyone else -- Have you had any experience with the Garmin 920xt?

The garmin forerunner 235 is awesome.My husband have one.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    That's one of the reasons I'm hesitant to lift with free weights. I'd love to do a big compounds lift program, but... my back. It scares me.
  • MtnScramble
    MtnScramble Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    This seems like a good group. I will try to follow and join in. I want to kick myself into gear.
  • __TMac__
    Options
    30 min tempo run. Just shy of 3 miles.

Scheduled my next bodyfat test for next week. The moment of truth approaches!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Back from 10 glorious days of camp life, canoeing, and brewery touring through Nashville, TN. 10 lbs heavier, but that's water weight.

Finished Stronglifts yesterday and took a 10% deload. Looking at a long run tonight to clear the head and get myself back on track.

Welcome to all the newcomers!
  • jyarring
    jyarring Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi! I would like to join this group as I'm new to MFP. I'm 48, weigh 157 lbs and I'm 5'11. I would like to lose 17 lbs. Back in my 30's I let my weight get out of control -- got up to 180 lbs and blood pressure went up and had to go on a low dose of blood pressure meds...went on South Beach Diet and also started really getting into more exercise. I've always been one to do some sort of exercise - class, go to the gym, etc. but this time really went very regular - almost daily. Lost 40 lbs and got down to 140 lbs and luckily was able to stop blood pressure meds.

Fast forward -- now I'm a mom to 2 boys (ages 7 and 9) and I'm still wanting to lose that last 15 or so pounds but not wanting to do any strict diets -- which is why I started using MFP to track what I eat, etc. I still work out a lot and do a variety of group exercise classes including Orange Theory! Look forward to participating in this group!
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Hi jyarring - Welcome
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options

What kind of facility is doing the test? I've been curious about getting something done that is more precise than the handheld device used at my gym.

• __TMac__
    Options
    @Djproulx - This one is just at the gym (not a handheld; sticky pads on hand and foot, but still bio-impedance). Just going for comparison to previous results. I plan to get a BodPod or Dexa scan when I hit goal. There's a Yale facility that does Dexa, I think, and Central CT U has a BodPod. Yale also does the tented BMR test, which might be interesting.
  • theritestuff
    theritestuff Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    There are no cool kids here - you're fooling nobody!
  • YenVerhoeven
    YenVerhoeven Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »

What kind of facility is doing the test? I've been curious about getting something done that is more precise than the handheld device used at my gym.

In California, I found a place called Fitness Wave, that does bodyfat and metabolic testing all over Cali. Local dieticians will do it, too. You just have to call around.

• KaroshiQueen
    KaroshiQueen Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Just popping in here to say hi. I'm going to lose 110 lbs - half my body weight! 13 lbs down so far in less than a month.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Hey kids, hope all is well. Jogging in the sand was interesting to say the least. Hot yoga and hot pilates done. Yes I was in the heat for 2 hours and absolutely loved it. Have a great day kids.
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "FOCUS T25 Alpha: Total Body Circuit"=Done!
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    loving the running app except every now and again i accidently scroll out of the pace i'm on and have to redo 2-3 minutes. ugh. lol. Getting ready to run now....

anyone have a good yoga youtube channel or free app? thanks. thinking 2 20-30 min sessions a week would be nice to add to my routine...
  • __TMac__
    Options
    Ran an easy 3 this morning. I know that it was both "easy" and "3" because I used my new Garmin!
  • howan
    howan Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yesterday wasn't great - did 15k steps, but counteracted it with several glasses of wine with friends as we planned a joint holiday to Spain! Today has been better - have eaten well so far and just finished my strength routine. Am about to do errands, which will mean 45 minutes of walking. Might pick up a FitBit, as so far I've just been using my phone for fitness tracking.

Well done to everyone who got active today!
  • jyarring
    jyarring Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Great job @howan - I didn't too so well yesterday either...ate out twice and didn't make the best choices but still got in a good high intensity workout yesterday so hopefully that helped burn off some of those calories but still went over my daily goal limit! Today is much better -- eating good so far and taken two short walks (logged them in) and getting ready to do a weight circuit type class.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Ran an easy 3 this morning. I know that it was both "easy" and "3" because I used my new Garmin!

You will become a "slave" to that device very quickly. No more 4.99 mile runs...gotta keep going 'til the Garmin says 5:00!
  • __TMac__
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »

You will become a "slave" to that device very quickly. No more 4.99 mile runs...gotta keep going 'til the Garmin says 5:00!

I suspect you are correct. I noticed that it rolled to 3.01 before I hit the stop button, and felt a flicker of annoyance.