c25k - newbie runners

Options
1111213141517»

Replies

• junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    W6D2 done yesterday. It has been so hot and humid the last few days I am a little behind schedule. But so far I have not had to double back days. I was surprised at how well the second 10 minute run went. The first 10 I had to go up some hills - and its just hard on the incline. Heavier breathing, harder to keep myself upright. But the slight downhill on the way home is a pleasure.
  • bellyfattoflat
    bellyfattoflat Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    W6D3 done - felt good! Excited to start building up the mileage.
  • cmon288
    cmon288 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Ok. Im not gonna lie. I've been putting w5d3 off. I really didn't think I could do it. I completed that sucker though. It was hard!!! It feels like it's been almost a week since I ran. After the first half I had to keep telling myself to keep going. I almost stopped a few times, but I never gave myself persmission to. I've never been so happy to hear, "one minute left." Won't be able to run again until Friday. Ready for it though.
  • dfnewcombe
    dfnewcombe Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Nice job everyone! We got this! Question for all of you.
    Have you signed up for a 5K and when is it?
    Mine is on October 15th. My goal is not just to finish but be at a 10 min mile or better.

I am looking at two different ones in November. The first one- the first weekend in November- I may walk as I am trying to organize a team building exercise at work and thought promoting a 5k walk would be fun for the group and promote a healthy activity... maybe have prep walks once a week or so..... if no one else does it then I will run it and then again on Thanksgiving. I am not worried about the time as I anticipate both of these to be completely jam packed making it difficult to get going and build up speed (the local pros get the front).
  • junodog1
    Options
    W6 Done. Onward to 7!
  • dfnewcombe
    dfnewcombe Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    junodog1 wrote: »
    W6 Done. Onward to 7!

I just finished week 6!!! My rest days are working this weekend.... then on to week 7!!!! Keep up the great work everyone!
  • bellyfattoflat
    Options
    One more and I will have completed the program. Currently doing a 12 min mile so will be working on improving my time before my 5K in October. Pretty happy about it!
  • bellyfattoflat
    Options
    Completed the program and now need to work on my time. A month and a half before the race and want to get to a 10 min mile. Good luck everyone!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Completed the program and now need to work on my time. A month and a half before the race and want to get to a 10 min mile. Good luck everyone!

work on running farther to be able to run quicker.

to be honest though, taking 2 minutes per mile off your time is a little ambitious in 6 weeks.
  • junodog1
    Options
    Week 7 is dragging It's raining daily here and I don't have an indoor alternative. Fortunately I'm not in Texas so I'll be patient. I'm not dedicated enough to run in the rain yet nor do I have the gear to keep my phone dry.
  • junodog1
    Options
    Week 7 Day 2 done.
    I'm nearly done with the program. But I'll have lots of room for speed improvement as I have no speed to talk of. But who would have believed a few weeks ago that now I can run for over 25 minutes, on rolling hills.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    junodog1 wrote: »
    Week 7 is dragging It's raining daily here and I don't have an indoor alternative. Fortunately I'm not in Texas so I'll be patient. I'm not dedicated enough to run in the rain yet nor do I have the gear to keep my phone dry.

I quite like running in light rain - it helps to keep me cool and I'm straight in the shower afterwards anyway! Haven't tried a heavy downpour yet though. I probably should get something to keep my phone dry, living in Glasgow and all I will have to run in the rain ...

I did W5D2 this morning :) Looking forward to 20 minutes on Friday or Saturday!
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I am back from a break and only got one run in because of the weather. However, on the day I did go this was one of my views...eobdbmqe5tjx.jpg
  • charmedraquel
    charmedraquel Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've just completed wk 5 day 3 but I stopped at 18 minutes....I have been running on treadmill and stopped at 2 miles thinking I'd got there before the 20 minutes but forgot all about the 5 minute warm up so I'm thinking should I repeat that day or just move on to week 6!? Never really done any running before I started this so don't want to cheat!!
  • krazy1sbk
    krazy1sbk Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    krazy1sbk wrote: »
    I'm on week 7 now but I'm a bit stalled as I hurt my knee on Thursday. Not sure what I did but my summer job keeps me above 10k steps a day, so I nought jyst be overdoing it in general... resting up a bit and I'm going to start back as soon as it stops hurting to be at my job all day... still hate running! But I'm stubborn, so I'll finish the app.

I didn't run again until after my vacation in August since I didn't want to hurt myself again before my trip! I ran last week for 20 minutes just to see if I still could. I did it! BUT my knee started hurting about 10-15 minutes in. It didn't hurt the next day so I ran on Saturday and ended up only running a mile (~10 minutes) because I was not well-rested. I'm going to try again later this week and see how 20 minutes goes... It might be the shoes? I have great running shoes but they are very old. Since I was not running before, I never replaced my shoes until they were completely ruined...
  • bellyfattoflat
    Options
    Wondering if anyone is still reading this bread. If you are - I did it! We ran our 5k yesterday and while I was no speed demon - I came in 17th out of 51 in my age group:) It was a lot of fun and I will definitely be signing up for another one!