Ladies - Receiving Unwanted "Attention"

Options

Replies

• Strong_Savannah
    Strong_Savannah Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    dym1 wrote: »
    OP, I see from your profile picture that you are quite pretty.

So this kind of treatment you are getting is just expected. It is not right but that is how the cookie crumbles. It happens to all pretty women around the world.

My wife deals with it. She says men roll down windows while jammed in traffic and they whistle or just make kissing faces and all kinds of effery. She gets followed in grocery stores. She is hourglass shaped and she gets comments about her butt. When I am with her, she gets stares. That is just how it is.

In NYC, women get followed.... and they need to hide in duane reade pretending to shop and take another door out.

My advice to you... don't run or hike in secluded areas. You never know what happens out there. Be careful.

So basically, men are dirtbags, women should just deal with it? Why is it always on the woman to control men's behavior? In schools, girls are told what and what not to wear based on how boys could react. Woman are told because they were dressed a certain way it was an invitation to be sexually assaulted. How about men control their own behavior. We don't need some strange dude to tell us we're beautiful, we already know.
    As the article from Runner's World said, the public sphere is still a "male space" -_-
  • Strong_Savannah
    Strong_Savannah Posts: 28 Member
    Options

So this kind of treatment you are getting is just expected. It is not right but that is how the cookie crumbles. It happens to all pretty women around the world.

My wife deals with it. She says men roll down windows while jammed in traffic and they whistle or just make kissing faces and all kinds of effery. She gets followed in grocery stores. She is hourglass shaped and she gets comments about her butt. When I am with her, she gets stares. That is just how it is.

In NYC, women get followed.... and they need to hide in duane reade pretending to shop and take another door out.

My advice to you... don't run or hike in secluded areas. You never know what happens out there. Be careful.

I actually prefer more secluded areas, because I know I won't have to deal with anyone else! Just me, and peace and quiet. My favorite place to run is the backroad I grew up on.
    But that is what's unfortunate - this treatment happens more often than not... yet I always seem surprised by it, smh.
    Hide some pocket knives or other self-defence devices in your socks or armband.

I always feel like this is a bad idea unless you know how to use them. Creep attacks you, you pull knife, creep grabs knife, creep now has knife and you don't... yeah. Not good.

A properly secluded area should be pretty much free of opportunistic creeps - if you barely see a handful of folks on your day's hike then it isn't a place predators will go looking for trouble. Worst is probably semi secluded areas - busy enough for creeps to get a decent hit rate but not so busy that they have witnesses. Still freaks my mom out when I go camping/hiking on my own, but it's my life and I'm not letting what-ifs and creeps prevent me from doing things I enjoy.

I know what to expect in secluded areas, and know when something "doesn't feel right" or hear noises that are out of the ordinary. But, around town, it's more unpredictable.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Yuck. Very scary. I would either carry Mace/pepper spray or I would use a treadmill, myself. You shouldn't have to do that of course, I would just view it as the lesser of the evils in my own case because some of these scumbags are dangerous.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    .... and have a loud whistle on a chain around your neck, too. If they see the mace in your hand and the whistle they should at least hesitate to try and grab you. My mom has had to mace several would-be muggers.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

I actually prefer more secluded areas, because I know I won't have to deal with anyone else! Just me, and peace and quiet. My favorite place to run is the backroad I grew up on.
    But that is what's unfortunate - this treatment happens more often than not... yet I always seem surprised by it, smh.
    Hide some pocket knives or other self-defence devices in your socks or armband.

I'm not worried about defending myself. If that was the case, I'd carry my pistol.

I don't run much anymore, but when I did I used this holster and was able to run just fine with it: https://www.amazon.com/Soft-Armor-Holster-Revolvers-23-29-Inch/dp/B00CI2B1HE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503432138&sr=8-1&keywords=Belly+Band+Concealment+Holster+23"+-+29"+waist&th=1&psc=1
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Zuzurillo wrote: »
    I have found a somewhat aggressive ( direct, a little louder than normal, neutral in emotion, a more formal address rather than just a "hey" or "what's up" etc...) "HELLO!" or "GOOD MORNING" etc... with direct eye contact is off putting for men. If you can get the jump on them and take away they're predatory drive ( you're not "prey" if you acknowledge them first) it takes away their power. They don't realize this, of course, they are just kind of in shock and say a quiet "Hi" back as you run or bike by at your most powerful speed and perfect form. Puff up, Be aggressive - and you'll beat them at their own game.

This is really interesting.
    I suspect it might work......The men who do this kind of thing are bullies, after all.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    Ehh... Some guys are just jerks.
    The guy mentioned by the OP who started running side by side with her is just a jerk, and you shouldn't have to tolerate that

I think generally speaking, women like to feel admired, but not always, and not by everyone. So does a guy air on the side of caution and just keep his thoughts to himself, mmm that's probably best imo.

As for what you should do in this type of case... I wish I could just say to pepper spray him lol...
  • RogueRunner_1
    RogueRunner_1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I just smile and let them know they're number 1 (:
This discussion has been closed.