Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

1192193195197198358

Replies

  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,270 Member
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    Unpopular opinions? How's this?
    Obese women who call themselves "average" body type on POF and have only headshots for photos. Experience tells me that their true body type is going to be "A few extra pounds". (it's worse yet if someone claims to be "athletic" but carries 30% body fat or more)
    Sadly, "average" is technically almost correct now that obesity is an epidemic.
    No photos where your torso is visible in a POF profile is now an automatic assumption you carry excessive fat!
    Don't get me wrong, I don't hate overweight people, but I really do dislike dishonesty... especially when you know for sure that your lie will be evident on first meeting!

    Not sure what this has to do with health and fitness...but dude, it's POF.

    it's the fact that they can put average and it's true...
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    apparently another unpopular opinion I have is not logging things like "cleaning" or "gardening" but only purposeful exercise done with intent on improving health and fitness....

    Not to cross threads but the thread wasn't about normal level of house hold chores.

    Stated as you have above I would agree with you.

    Agreed and I should have clarified more with "extra cleaning" but for me Gardening did that since it's not a constant everyday affair.

    but regardless I don't think cleaning, throwing in wood or anything not done to improve health and fitness should be logged for extra calories...

    As a general rule, I agree with you. Daily household chores do not get counted. The once-in-a-while deep cleaning gets accounted for in my steps anyway. The only thing I have logged was a few weeks ago when I set up my brand new perennial garden. 3 hours of spading, tilling, composting, planting and mulching took a lot of effort. You bet I was going to take credit for it (although I only claimed one hour of the three).

    I have a neighbor who gave me a half face cord of chopped wood. If I was to chop my own, yes that would get logged. I have no problem if people log household work that is very infrequent, takes a lot of effort, and burns more than the usual calories. Otherwise, no.

    hence my assumption my stance is unpopular.

    I have this stance for a reason too...

    When I was fat and getting fatter I did all this stuff too. Throw in wood, did the gardens, created new ones by hand...all that stuff...I stayed fat. It didn't help me lose weight.

    Even after I lost the weight and was in maintenance last summer I thought lets see how it will impact my days shovelling mulch, weeding my flowers in the spring, doing the wood...by tracking it.

    It added the calories I ate them sometimes, sometimes I didn't just like before...nothing changed...and that's my point.

    Even those "extra chores" we do maybe 1x a year or 2x a year or even maybe a couple times a month (shovelling driveway of snow) does not impact weight loss...

    I'm with you- clearing brush, moving tree debris etc at our new house this summer hasn't done anything meaningful for my weight, even though it's not normal activity for me.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    ...
    My guess is there's not actually much disagreement here, so why the arguing? ...

    It's because some people just need to be "right."
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    Unpopular opinions? How's this?
    Obese women who call themselves "average" body type on POF and have only headshots for photos. Experience tells me that their true body type is going to be "A few extra pounds". (it's worse yet if someone claims to be "athletic" but carries 30% body fat or more)
    Sadly, "average" is technically almost correct now that obesity is an epidemic.
    No photos where your torso is visible in a POF profile is now an automatic assumption you carry excessive fat!
    Don't get me wrong, I don't hate overweight people, but I really do dislike dishonesty... especially when you know for sure that your lie will be evident on first meeting!

    Not sure what this has to do with health and fitness...but dude, it's POF.

    it's the fact that they can put average and it's true...

    Maybe, but since his issue - as he stated - was with dishonesty, yet what they said is true...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,270 Member
    TR0berts wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    ...
    My guess is there's not actually much disagreement here, so why the arguing? ...

    It's because some people just need to be "right."
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    Unpopular opinions? How's this?
    Obese women who call themselves "average" body type on POF and have only headshots for photos. Experience tells me that their true body type is going to be "A few extra pounds". (it's worse yet if someone claims to be "athletic" but carries 30% body fat or more)
    Sadly, "average" is technically almost correct now that obesity is an epidemic.
    No photos where your torso is visible in a POF profile is now an automatic assumption you carry excessive fat!
    Don't get me wrong, I don't hate overweight people, but I really do dislike dishonesty... especially when you know for sure that your lie will be evident on first meeting!

    Not sure what this has to do with health and fitness...but dude, it's POF.

    it's the fact that they can put average and it's true...

    Maybe, but since his issue - as he stated - was with dishonesty, yet what they said is true...

    you have a point there.
  • Becky6621
    Becky6621 Posts: 7 Member
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    Personally I've found that as the weight has come off, I've become less tolerant of people making excuses as to why they can't lose weight themselves.

    This is definitely an issue for me. It is hard for me to listen to people complaining about their weight or health and then listen to all the excuses about why they "can't". I am not talking about actual diagnosed by an MD/DO/licensed health professional medical issues, but "I'm too busy" 'I could never do that" "I don't want to eat salads all day".

    If they don't say anything, fine- I am going to assume that they are doing their own thing. But don't *kitten* about yourself and then DON'T DO ANYTHING TO CHANGE. Drives me a little nuts.

    Yes. This drives me crazy too. If you aren't losing weight, and doctors can't find a reason why, then you aren't losing because you aren't trying hard enough.

    As for unpopular beliefs, I am on a ketogenic diet... so, I feel like my whole WOE is unpopular lol, or maybe too popular to the point of trend, depending on who you talk to.

    I drink diet soda (Coke and Fresca mainly) and I don't feel bad about it. Aspartame for the win!

    I think low-fat "diet" foods like low fat salad dressing, half and half or creamers, cookies/crackers etc. are weird and probably no better for you in the long run than just eating the real thing (I know this makes my diet soda love hypocritical lol).

  • Becky6621
    Becky6621 Posts: 7 Member
    Don't beat yourself up about the Diet Coke and Fresca. Changing too many things at once will lead to a crash and burn. Changing one or 2 things at a time and sticking with it is much better. If you stick with your diet and are losing the weight give yourself a break. You will give up the Diet drinks when you are ready.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Becky6621 wrote: »
    Don't beat yourself up about the Diet Coke and Fresca. Changing too many things at once will lead to a crash and burn. Changing one or 2 things at a time and sticking with it is much better. If you stick with your diet and are losing the weight give yourself a break. You will give up the Diet drinks when you are ready.

    The OP wasn't beating her self up about diet drinks.

    I for one see no reason to ever give them up. Like the OP, Aspartame for the win for me, amino acids, less calories and tasty. Yum
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,484 Member
    @SezxyStef

    I don't get your point of view. If someone is on this site and using the MFP way of losing weight, then any activity over what the activity level they have set should be taking into account regardless of if it is exercise or extra cleaning (in the case of the post you are referring to, 3.5 hours of heavy cleaning at an animal shelter).

    If they are at a deficit already, then increasing that deficit by going substantially over their set activity level is going to put someone in too big a deficit. Doing that on a regular basis is detrimental to their health.

    Doesn't matter if it's building a fence or 30 mins on a treadmill.

    If it is a regular occurrence, then yes the activity level should be set accordingly.

    My watch does this for me. I take the calories it gives me and eat them regardless of what they are for. It's how this (MFP) is supposed to work.

    I think that if you are engaging in a lot of significant non-exercise activity that you want to capture, this is where a fitness tracker may be useful. I have a Garmin Fenix 3 HR with a continuous HRM that measures my calorie burn 24 hours a day. So if I'm mowing the lawn or helping a friend move I don't necessarily have to separately account for an "exercise event" to capture the additional calories burned, it is automatically recorded.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,946 Member
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    @SezxyStef

    I don't get your point of view. If someone is on this site and using the MFP way of losing weight, then any activity over what the activity level they have set should be taking into account regardless of if it is exercise or extra cleaning (in the case of the post you are referring to, 3.5 hours of heavy cleaning at an animal shelter).

    If they are at a deficit already, then increasing that deficit by going substantially over their set activity level is going to put someone in too big a deficit. Doing that on a regular basis is detrimental to their health.

    Doesn't matter if it's building a fence or 30 mins on a treadmill.

    If it is a regular occurrence, then yes the activity level should be set accordingly.

    My watch does this for me. I take the calories it gives me and eat them regardless of what they are for. It's how this (MFP) is supposed to work.

    I think that if you are engaging in a lot of significant non-exercise activity that you want to capture, this is where a fitness tracker may be useful. I have a Garmin Fenix 3 HR with a continuous HRM that measures my calorie burn 24 hours a day. So if I'm mowing the lawn or helping a friend move I don't necessarily have to separately account for an "exercise event" to capture the additional calories burned, it is automatically recorded.

    This. Or in your base activity level. If it's a day here and there you aren't going to be in too big a deficit overall.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    @SezxyStef

    I don't get your point of view. If someone is on this site and using the MFP way of losing weight, then any activity over what the activity level they have set should be taking into account regardless of if it is exercise or extra cleaning (in the case of the post you are referring to, 3.5 hours of heavy cleaning at an animal shelter).

    If they are at a deficit already, then increasing that deficit by going substantially over their set activity level is going to put someone in too big a deficit. Doing that on a regular basis is detrimental to their health.

    Doesn't matter if it's building a fence or 30 mins on a treadmill.

    If it is a regular occurrence, then yes the activity level should be set accordingly.

    My watch does this for me. I take the calories it gives me and eat them regardless of what they are for. It's how this (MFP) is supposed to work.

    I think that if you are engaging in a lot of significant non-exercise activity that you want to capture, this is where a fitness tracker may be useful. I have a Garmin Fenix 3 HR with a continuous HRM that measures my calorie burn 24 hours a day. So if I'm mowing the lawn or helping a friend move I don't necessarily have to separately account for an "exercise event" to capture the additional calories burned, it is automatically recorded.

    This is what I do (Garmin Vivoactive HR). I just don't get why it should be disregarded if it isn't intentional exercise. Just means someones deficit will be more than planned.
This discussion has been closed.