Ladies - Receiving Unwanted "Attention"

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Sorry, that's terrible. Everyone deserves to not be harassed.
    But, since I'm learning here, what is the appropriate way to give a compliment or break the ice? Is there one?

How about not complimenting, how about just talking about neutral subjects? Or at least subjects that don't involve how someone looks or your attraction to them.

I mean, c'mon, we're talking about interrupting someone who is obviously out for a run or something not-related-to-looking-for-company.

Compliments are personal and are appropriate after you've been talking to someone for a while. Not strangers.

So, short answer is that there is no way to break the ice unless you see them regularly. Sounds lonely and boring, but I think I got it.

P.S. - I think we all agree that it's never acceptable to interrupt someone during a workout. Headphones are a clear "Do not disturb" sign. SHAME!

Unfortunately headphones make a person even more vulnerable because they can't hear someone coming up behind them.

Just assume that the woman who is running or cycling has a partner and group of friends already, and isn't interested in adding to that group ... and that the woman isn't lonely or bored.

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Wow, this thread is eye opening to me. I'm 42 and have NEVER experienced anything remotely like these stories. I don't know if it's because I have resting B face, if it's because I politely smile and nod at everyone I pass if I'm exercising outdoors, if it's because I'm self-confident in my ability to defend myself or if it's just that I'm built like a 12 year old boy, but I never get hit on, cat called or any of the other worse aggressions some of you have faced. I can't imagine it. Especially @cmriverside! That's crazy!!!! You should not have to put up with that.

@Chef_Barbell - the chicken! LOL That's hilarious. Completely strange and inappropriate, but still funny.

But this thread does make me kind of sad that some people still find this type of behavior acceptable. :(
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm mainly pissed when a guy, or anyone, tries to talk to me during my workout. Like last night, I had my head phones in and picked up a 30 lb dumbbell because I was about to do my second set of goblet squats when a guy tried to tell me something. He pointed down at an ab roller so I assume he said something about his workout. Then I put the weight down, took out my headphones, and he then said he liked me hat?? I smiled, said thanks, and put my headphones back in.

I had plenty of "DO NOT BOTHER ME" signs (hat, headphones, the ring on my finger for those interesting in anything other than small convo, and my resting B face). So I just don't get it.
  • Strong_Savannah
    Strong_Savannah Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Keira08 wrote: »
    This happens way more often than it should to me, only when running outside. I must have perpetual resting b-face as I never get hit on or checked out in 'normal' life (that I notice), only ever when running so it has literally nothing to do with how you carry yourself. It's harassment, simple. I once had a lit cigarette thrown at me while I was out running.
    I don't know what these peoples problem is but its exactly that, their problem and not yours. You keep doing you, run in public places, keep moving and try to ignore them
    Having a lit cigarette thrown at you is absolutely awful! That is blatant harassment and disrespect, no way around it - one person treating another like trash.
    There is only one time that I can recall being yelled at during 'normal' life (not exercising). I was parked downtown on the "main" busy street, alone, and struggling to fit a box of full beer growlers on the floor of my backseat. Naturally, I was bent-over. The entire time I am struggling, I repeatedly hear, "Dat *kitten*, look at dat *kitten*!" I wanted so badly to whip around and yell at him that he clearly was able to lend me a hand with the beer if he had time to yell and stare at me. But, I decided not to give him any satisfaction of my acknowledging him in any way. I guess because I was alone and struggling, I was vulnerable/"prey" in his eyes.
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I wish I got cat called and hit on.. :(

I guess I'm too ugly.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If it makes you all feel any better my 23 yo 6 ft 3 BJJ training son was running in town and a group of men yelled at him to...nothing nice mind you...I think the direct quote was "hey look at that f*****"

so it's not just women who get it.
  • seekingdaintiness
    seekingdaintiness Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    How I tend to respond depends on how I feel at the time, how safe I feel the situation is, etc. I did live on the streets for a while so I'm a pretty tough chick. A few times I have physically assaulted men for groping or harassing me. But if I am busy or it's a group of men in a bad area I usually just act like I didn't hear them and continue on my way. It's very situation dependent.
This discussion has been closed.