Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    But as I have said on more than one post about this...it's an individual choice and it's apparently unpopular...who knew.

I don't care about popular/unpopular, it just doesn't make sense to me to make the distinction.

okay then let me ask you a couple of questions then.

how many people log their food accurately? (guesstimate)
    Do you need physical activity to lose weight?
    was is done to improve your health and/or fitness? (if yes then it's exercise)

If all are answered no or none..then there is why I make the distinction, because that activity is moot when it comes down to it and in the larger scheme of things that one activity is not going to make or break your weight loss but if you log them all that could break it.

To me it makes sense to you maybe not...

As someone who does log as accurately as she can manage and who is also a data geek, I want data as accurate as I can reasonably make it, during weight loss.

From this data, when I've accumulated enough of it, I can more accurately estimate my NEAT/TDEE, predict my fat loss for the week independent of water weight fluctuations, and assess the impact of an over-calorie-goal indulgence I'm considering (in terms of days delay to ultimate goal, number of days at standard deficit needed to cancel out the extra, or indulgence pounds gained).

Since part of the fun part of weight loss for me was treating it - metaphorically - as a science fair project, I want that extra (minor, but easy) accuracy. So I carefully, conservatively logged anything significant that wasn't part of my activity level.

Lost just fine, doing it, too - and eating back the most of it, besides.

Edited: typo

I think if you have the time and patience to track everything and the calories aren't already accounted for in your activity level settings, then I think it is a good method for you.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    I think the "don't log it" perspective is an important and valuable perspective for people to hear and consider. How many of us have people on our feeds who regularly log 20 minutes of light cleaning, and then complain that they don't lose weight?

In thinking about this, I have my maintenance calories set at 1380 when they should be somewhat higher; I tend to be sloppy on a lot of my logging and this buffer accommodates for the sloppiness, as well as the gardening days where I am, say, spending too much time working on a knot or repairing some netting or staking tomatoes instead of digging the potatoes or some such. I guess we all have our work-arounds.

This is exactly why I think most people should not. I had one person in my feed that would log light cleaning, shopping and walking the dog for 10 minutes. After 6 years they had lost 20 lbs and complained constantly about how hard it was to lose. They had to go.

Something vigorous and or sustained, I can see it. But a little weeding the front flower bed? Not so much.

There may or may not be an entry for "walking--pushing shopping cart" in the database. I only know this because...um... I asked for a friend way back in the day. :D

:D:p
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    But as I have said on more than one post about this...it's an individual choice and it's apparently unpopular...who knew.

I don't care about popular/unpopular, it just doesn't make sense to me to make the distinction.

okay then let me ask you a couple of questions then.

how many people log their food accurately? (guesstimate)
    Do you need physical activity to lose weight?
    was is done to improve your health and/or fitness? (if yes then it's exercise)

If all are answered no or none..then there is why I make the distinction, because that activity is moot when it comes down to it and in the larger scheme of things that one activity is not going to make or break your weight loss but if you log them all that could break it.

To me it makes sense to you maybe not...

As someone who does log as accurately as she can manage and who is also a data geek, I want data as accurate as I can reasonably make it, during weight loss.

From this data, when I've accumulated enough of it, I can more accurately estimate my NEAT/TDEE, predict my fat loss for the week independent of water weight fluctuations, and assess the impact of an over-calorie-goal indulgence I'm considering (in terms of days delay to ultimate goal, number of days at standard deficit needed to cancel out the extra, or indulgence pounds gained).

Since part of the fun part of weight loss for me was treating it - metaphorically - as a science fair project, I want that extra (minor, but easy) accuracy. So I carefully, conservatively logged anything significant that wasn't part of my activity level.

Lost just fine, doing it, too - and eating back the most of it, besides.

Edited: typo

I went through a similar phase early on. Still remembering a day where I burned over 1500 calories and this was reported in my feed something to the effect "Burned 1500 calories Stretching".

Over time I realized that I'm not at the point yet where this data will pay off. If I get below 10% body fat this level of detail may pay off, but that's on the 2018 goals.
  • mmapags
    I can see both sides of the equation in this. But I see a distinction. If I am doing a little yard work for an hour or 2, I'm not going to log that. I see it as part of N.E.A.T. and it will all come out in the wash with any overestimating of burns and underestimating of calories over the week. If I am going out and splitting firewood for the afternoon, I might log it. In either event, I have a Fitbit, so if it is an "increase in HRM type activity", it'll get captured. And while the Fitbit is not 100% accurate, I know the windage on it well enough.

That being said, I don't do a high deficit and I may only slightly eat more no matter what I log or what Fitbit says because I think there is enough inaccuracy on all sides of the equation that I am going to be conservative. I eat around 2000 cals per day. I'm not close to the edge. I've got margin for error.

I try to always bear in mind that the 2 most common reasons why people struggle to lose when tracking calories is overestimating burns and underestimating food intake.

Close behind in struggling: The people who go for an aggressively low calorie goal, add a heap of exercise they don't eat back (because MFP overestimates, or some such), on top of an active daily life . . . then regularly fall for deficit-destroying binges, engage in self-recrimination ("I'm a failure!") and give up.

Yes, the occasional uneaten extra exercise is not a certain weight loss breaker, but there are slippery slopes and pitfalls on both sides of the exercise-counting path.

The example I drew is extreme . . . but so is the "logs daily dishwashing and fails to lose" example. At the narrow margins, both happen.

Yes, I agree! That would make the top 5 list of reasons people fail. Well said!
  • jamesakrobinson
    jamesakrobinson Posts: 2,149 Member
    So with all this talk about logging exercise and food accurately I have a question. (yes I realize that that makes this off topic but the topic is what triggers the question)

I was using Fat Secret for a few years, and I think I still prefer it... but MFP actually shares information with Nokia Health Mate, Google Fit, and some other apps I use...
    Observations:
    FS allows you to enter everything in grams or milliliters but MFP has some "1 piece" or imperial only, which is awkward when I use a scale or measuring cup for almost everything.
    FS has calorie counts for almost any activity you can imagine, even sex. I only log actual exercise, and it does not change my caloric budget for the day. (I prefer this because it's easier to stick with roughly the same macros regardless of whether I lift or not on any particular day)
    MFP lists tons of exercises, and allows me to even enter sets, reps, and weight... but has no calorie value for any of them?
    MFP DOES pull the most useless value from Google Fit... steps. It gives this a calorie value and wants to add to my budget for the day but an hour and a half of pounding the heaviest weights I can manage with good form doesn't count??

Ultimately I am now logging in 2 apps and entering my training in Google Fit... this completely defeats the purpose of automation!

The question (finally)...
    Is there a way to enter my lifting in MFP that would make sense?
    I would be perfectly happy with a generic "intense weight training" and the length of the session giving me a rough calorie estimate. That's what FS, Google Fit, and LG Health all do. (but MFP only pulls "steps")
    Again, I don't want it to change my calorie budget, but I would like to have the information available to see if I'm running a deficit, surplus, or maintenance.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    So with all this talk about logging exercise and food accurately I have a question. (yes I realize that that makes this off topic but the topic is what triggers the question)

I was using Fat Secret for a few years, and I think I still prefer it... but MFP actually shares information with Nokia Health Mate, Google Fit, and some other apps I use...
    Observations:
    FS allows you to enter everything in grams or milliliters but MFP has some "1 piece" or imperial only, which is awkward when I use a scale or measuring cup for almost everything.
    FS has calorie counts for almost any activity you can imagine, even sex. I only log actual exercise, and it does not change my caloric budget for the day. (I prefer this because it's easier to stick with roughly the same macros regardless of whether I lift or not on any particular day)
    MFP lists tons of exercises, and allows me to even enter sets, reps, and weight... but has no calorie value for any of them?
    MFP DOES pull the most useless value from Google Fit... steps. It gives this a calorie value and wants to add to my budget for the day but an hour and a half of pounding the heaviest weights I can manage with good form doesn't count??

Ultimately I am now logging in 2 apps and entering my training in Google Fit... this completely defeats the purpose of automation!

I would be perfectly happy with a generic "intense weight training" and the length of the session giving me a rough calorie estimate. That's what FS, Google Fit, and LG Health all do. (but MFP only pulls "steps")
    Again, I don't want it to change my calorie budget, but I would like to have the information available to see if I'm running a deficit, surplus, or maintenance.

"Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" is an entry in the MFP "cardio" exercise database, and has a (low) calorie burn estimate attached.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited August 2017
    @jamesakrobinson look for your lifting calorie burn under cardio, you are at the moment just keeping a record.

Some find it inaccurate, I find it spot on.

Cheers, h.
    Oops, you have faster fingers than me Ann.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    So to fix this logging inaccuracy you advocate deliberately making your logging even less accurate by randomly excluding calorie burning activities because they may have been done for other reasons than fitness. Or even fitness plus other reasons?

What a peculiar way to calorie count or estimate.
    Excluding data doesn't improve accuracy - that's basic mathematics.

I don't know. If it works for her, it works. We all know we are not 100% accurate and need to adjust based on the actual weight gain/loss, so if she is losing or maintaining or gaining according to plan, then it is fine.

I won't do it that way and would never recommend it, but to each their own.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I think the "don't log it" perspective is an important and valuable perspective for people to hear and consider. How many of us have people on our feeds who regularly log 20 minutes of light cleaning, and then complain that they don't lose weight?

In thinking about this, I have my maintenance calories set at 1380 when they should be somewhat higher; I tend to be sloppy on a lot of my logging and this buffer accommodates for the sloppiness, as well as the gardening days where I am, say, spending too much time working on a knot or repairing some netting or staking tomatoes instead of digging the potatoes or some such. I guess we all have our work-arounds.

This is exactly why I think most people should not. I had one person in my feed that would log light cleaning, shopping and walking the dog for 10 minutes. After 6 years they had lost 20 lbs and complained constantly about how hard it was to lose. They had to go.

Something vigorous and or sustained, I can see it. But a little weeding the front flower bed? Not so much.
    @mmapags
    My view is that it's a matter of degree and significance to an individual.
    My 15 minute walk or 5 minute cycle to my local station is a regular and normal part of my life. When I choose to do a 4 mile round trip to the next station I figure that just compensates for days I work from home.
    But when the trains are out of service and I cycle a 36 round trip to work because if I don't turn up for work I don't get paid that's significant. It's not for fitness but my body doesn't know that.

Same I apply to my gardening - regular maintenance is part of life and not logged but if I spend hours cutting down a tree and logging/shredding it then that's significant.
    For me I work on roughly 10% of my base calories as being significant. Which is a fair amount for me on a high calorie allowance but not a lot of calories for the infamous 1200 cals a day crew.

It might even motivate people to be more active which is only a good thing.
  • jamesakrobinson
    @jamesakrobinson look for your lifting calorie burn under cardio, you are at the moment just keeping a record.

Some find it inaccurate, I find it spot on.

Cheers, h.
    Oops, you have faster fingers than me Ann.

Thanks!
  • jamesakrobinson

Observations:

"Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" is an entry in the MFP "cardio" exercise database, and has a (low) calorie burn estimate attached.

Thanks!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Observations:

You can do everything in grams if you find the correct entries. When I'm logging, that's generally what I do.

MFP allows you to list strength exercises specifically in that section, without a caloric value, or to list it in the cardio section as "general weight training" or things like that. You can change the calories to whatever you think is appropriate and create your own entries too.

If you want it for the data, I'd do both, I guess. (I use the TDEE method where I don't log back specific exercises for calories but like to share them sometimes or have a record, so when I'm logging them I change the calorie count to 1 anyway.)
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member

Observations:

In addition to what @AnnPT77 said, MFP also has database entries that you can log in grams and ml. You may have to search for them, but get into the habit of entering a food in the following patter, "chicken, breast, cooked, usda" into the database when you're searching. It takes a little time to build your recent foods, but once you do logging in accurate measurements is a cinch.

You seem to be new to the MFP site. I'd advise spending some time going through the stickies and learning the ins and outs of the app; you'd probably get a lot more functionality out of it.
  • mmapags
    sijomial wrote: »

@mmapags
    My view is that it's a matter of degree and significance to an individual.
    My 15 minute walk or 5 minute cycle to my local station is a regular and normal part of my life. When I choose to do a 4 mile round trip to the next station I figure that just compensates for days I work from home.
    But when the trains are out of service and I cycle a 36 round trip to work because if I don't turn up for work I don't get paid that's significant. It's not for fitness but my body doesn't know that.

Same I apply to my gardening - regular maintenance is part of life and not logged but if I spend hours cutting down a tree and logging/shredding it then that's significant.
    For me I work on roughly 10% of my base casame lories as being significant. Which is a fair amount for me on a high calorie allowance but not a lot of calories for the infamous 1200 cals a day crew.

It might even motivate people to be more active which is only a good thing.

Yup, we're on the same page.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Bry_Lander wrote: »

Observations:

I track my strength training calories with my HRM and it generally gives me a calorie burn of 3-4 calories per minute, which is ballpark what the tables estimate. My unpopular opinion is that HRMs provide reasonable calorie burn estimates, even for non-steady state exercises.

That's the gross calorie burn, which includes your BMR. Mine does the same.

I've logged strength training using MFP's data base, and I really have no problem trusting my Fitbit in exercise mode for strength training. I get a reasonably small burn and adjustment.

I lifted this afternoon and just ran some numbers, figuring out the net burn I'd get from Fitbit vs. what I'd get by logging on MFP. There's a whopping 6 calorie difference.
This discussion has been closed.