Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2017
    @SezxyStef

I don't get your point of view. If someone is on this site and using the MFP way of losing weight, then any activity over what the activity level they have set should be taking into account regardless of if it is exercise or extra cleaning (in the case of the post you are referring to, 3.5 hours of heavy cleaning at an animal shelter).

Yeah, this. If your level of activity = sedentary and you are actually doing activities that would be active 2 of 7 days, it would make sense to log them, whatever type of activities they are.

I personally preferred to handle daily activity things by having a Fitbit (initially) and then just setting a non sedentary activity level, but if you don't have a consistent activity level or a Fitbit I think it's fine to log back extra activity.

If it's like something one day a month, yes, there's no need to log it, it's a bonus and may compensate for an extra sedentary day somewhere, but if you want to eat a little extra after an exhausting day of yard work or running around setting up for and hosting a big event or whatever, no harm to that either, as it's not much different than someone who is usually sedentary getting dragged on a 12 mile charity walk (which I'd log in that case).
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    @SezxyStef

I don't get your point of view. If someone is on this site and using the MFP way of losing weight, then any activity over what the activity level they have set should be taking into account regardless of if it is exercise or extra cleaning (in the case of the post you are referring to, 3.5 hours of heavy cleaning at an animal shelter).

If they are at a deficit already, then increasing that deficit by going substantially over their set activity level is going to put someone in too big a deficit. Doing that on a regular basis is detrimental to their health.

Doesn't matter if it's building a fence or 30 mins on a treadmill.

If it is a regular occurrence, then yes the activity level should be set accordingly.

My watch does this for me. I take the calories it gives me and eat them regardless of what they are for. It's how this (MFP) is supposed to work.

I think that if you are engaging in a lot of significant non-exercise activity that you want to capture, this is where a fitness tracker may be useful. I have a Garmin Fenix 3 HR with a continuous HRM that measures my calorie burn 24 hours a day. So if I'm mowing the lawn or helping a friend move I don't necessarily have to separately account for an "exercise event" to capture the additional calories burned, it is automatically recorded.

What makes accounting for the activity via an exercise tracker better than logging it in MFP?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    @SezxyStef

If they are at a deficit already, then increasing that deficit by going substantially over their set activity level is going to put someone in too big a deficit. Doing that on a regular basis is detrimental to their health.

If it is a regular occurrence, then yes the activity level should be set accordingly.

My watch does this for me. I take the calories it gives me and eat them regardless of what they are for. It's how this (MFP) is supposed to work.

I think that if you are engaging in a lot of significant non-exercise activity that you want to capture, this is where a fitness tracker may be useful. I have a Garmin Fenix 3 HR with a continuous HRM that measures my calorie burn 24 hours a day. So if I'm mowing the lawn or helping a friend move I don't necessarily have to separately account for an "exercise event" to capture the additional calories burned, it is automatically recorded.

What makes accounting for the activity via an exercise tracker better than logging it in MFP?

In my case, it improves my accuracy. I know from a year with a tracker that it is reasonably close to reality and is over by ~10-15%, so I know how much of the calories given I can discount to get my desired weight loss (assuming I'm tracking intake well). I don't have the same faith in the MFP entries.

But it is 6 of one, half dozen of the other.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    @SezxyStef

With a fitness tracker that has an HRM, the calorie burn estimate is based on your HR and your personal information you have already programmed versus a generic table in MFP. For example, a half hour of spinning will provide different calorie burns for a 20-year-old female who is 5'8 and weighs 130lbs with an average HR of 100bpm vs a 50-year-old male who is 6'1 weighs 270lbs with an average HR of 130 bpm. MFP tables will not account for these differences.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    @SezxyStef

Yeah, this. If your level of activity = sedentary and you are actually doing activities that would be active 2 of 7 days, it would make sense to log them, whatever type of activities they are.

I personally preferred to handle daily activity things by having a Fitbit (initially) and then just setting a non sedentary activity level, but if you don't have a consistent activity level or a Fitbit I think it's fine to log back extra activity.

If it's like something one day a month, yes, there's no need to log it, it's a bonus and may compensate for an extra sedentary day somewhere, but if you want to eat a little extra after an exhausting day of yard work or running around setting up for and hosting a big event or whatever, no harm to that either, as it's not much different than someone who is usually sedentary getting dragged on a 12 mile charity walk (which I'd log in that case).

I think if you are doing something 2/7 days every week that is a different story too esp if it does account for a significant burn but again...if it is frequent enough to make a difference then it should be in your activity level....

and then so much this last paragraph. I feel very free to eat a bit more on the days we do wood...but I don't log the wood as "exercise"
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited August 2017
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    mathjulz wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    apparently another unpopular opinion I have is not logging things like "cleaning" or "gardening" but only purposeful exercise done with intent on improving health and fitness....

Not to cross threads but the thread wasn't about normal level of house hold chores.

Stated as you have above I would agree with you.

Agreed and I should have clarified more with "extra cleaning" but for me Gardening did that since it's not a constant everyday affair.

but regardless I don't think cleaning, throwing in wood or anything not done to improve health and fitness should be logged for extra calories...

As a general rule, I agree with you. Daily household chores do not get counted. The once-in-a-while deep cleaning gets accounted for in my steps anyway. The only thing I have logged was a few weeks ago when I set up my brand new perennial garden. 3 hours of spading, tilling, composting, planting and mulching took a lot of effort. You bet I was going to take credit for it (although I only claimed one hour of the three).

I have a neighbor who gave me a half face cord of chopped wood. If I was to chop my own, yes that would get logged. I have no problem if people log household work that is very infrequent, takes a lot of effort, and burns more than the usual calories. Otherwise, no.

hence my assumption my stance is unpopular.

I have this stance for a reason too...

When I was fat and getting fatter I did all this stuff too. Throw in wood, did the gardens, created new ones by hand...all that stuff...I stayed fat. It didn't help me lose weight.

Even after I lost the weight and was in maintenance last summer I thought lets see how it will impact my days shovelling mulch, weeding my flowers in the spring, doing the wood...by tracking it.

It added the calories I ate them sometimes, sometimes I didn't just like before...nothing changed...and that's my point.

Even those "extra chores" we do maybe 1x a year or 2x a year or even maybe a couple times a month (shovelling driveway of snow) does not impact weight loss...

I find the bolded part a bit perplexing whenever I see that claim of "I did it when I was fat so it shouldn't count." There are plenty of people who did some sort of regular exercise, whether it was walking, running, lifting, or some other fitness program, before they started losing weight. I even know some overweight people who start exercise program to feel better, not to lose weight. And most of us would agree that, regardless of the type of exercise, it's CI vs CO (and generally monitoring or controlling CI) that makes the difference in weight loss.

Why, then, is heavy-duty cleaning or yard work so frequently discounted as a type of exercise? Like most people in this particular discussion, I'm not meaning the day-to-day upkeep, but things like tilling or digging, hauling, moving furniture, etc. Granted, it is harder to accurately track calories burned and one must be more careful in eating those calories back (which is why I tend to deliberately "under-log" such activities, both by intensity and time, when I chose to log them), but that doesn't mean that they don't "count." My opinion is that, if I feel like I actually had a workout from doing the activity (comparing how I feel to what it's like after a good cardio/lifting session at the gym), I'm going to count it as a workout for the day. Especially if it leaves me feeling like I would be overworking things to then go to the gym.

That said, I do agree that it is a valid point to raise when someone says "Help! I can't lose!" My advise is generally to tighten up their food logging and make sure that they are not overestimating exercise calories. But if everything else is going well (weight loss, etc), then it shouldn't be an issue.

because we are not talking about purposeful exercise...something done to increase your health and fitness levels.

not sure why people are confusing the two things.

Exercise done for the sake of exercise and non exercise activity done because it is being done...and probably won't be done again for a while if ever.

and my post readily explains why I don't do it myself and why I don't recommend it.

but what it comes down to really is this...if you aren't in a deficit none of it will help you lose...the exercise nor the life activity (what I will call it from now on)

But from a calories burnt perspective, who cares? I walked 15K steps Saturday golfing. Have not golfed in months. Why would that be different from going on a 10K walk for exercise?

I don't get the distinction.

because your walk was steady state cardio vs Golf (aka standing around waiting for next hole, swinging club, standing around, carry a bag, stand around more etc.)

I expect the only time anyone's heart rate goes up in golf is when they want to throw their club due to a piss poor shot...

I am not saying that there are not exceptions but I still say these random activities that are done like "heavy cleaning" or "tilling a garden" or "throwing in wood" should not be logged as exercise to gain extra food to eat.

In the long run it will not help you lose weight and in fact could hinder it if you get to deep down that hole where you start logging taking the dog out to poo as a walk...esp since people tend to overestimate activity and effort is often exaggerate (I worked really hard, drenched in sweat to prove it)

But as I have said on more than one post about this...it's an individual choice and it's apparently unpopular...who knew.

ETA: I am not trying to discourage physical activity such as tilling etc. as it has it's benefits I suspect mine helps keep me in balance as my logging isn't that great while in maintenance.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited August 2017
    mathjulz wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    apparently another unpopular opinion I have is not logging things like "cleaning" or "gardening" but only purposeful exercise done with intent on improving health and fitness....

Not to cross threads but the thread wasn't about normal level of house hold chores.

Stated as you have above I would agree with you.

Agreed and I should have clarified more with "extra cleaning" but for me Gardening did that since it's not a constant everyday affair.

but regardless I don't think cleaning, throwing in wood or anything not done to improve health and fitness should be logged for extra calories...

As a general rule, I agree with you. Daily household chores do not get counted. The once-in-a-while deep cleaning gets accounted for in my steps anyway. The only thing I have logged was a few weeks ago when I set up my brand new perennial garden. 3 hours of spading, tilling, composting, planting and mulching took a lot of effort. You bet I was going to take credit for it (although I only claimed one hour of the three).

I have a neighbor who gave me a half face cord of chopped wood. If I was to chop my own, yes that would get logged. I have no problem if people log household work that is very infrequent, takes a lot of effort, and burns more than the usual calories. Otherwise, no.

hence my assumption my stance is unpopular.

I have this stance for a reason too...

When I was fat and getting fatter I did all this stuff too. Throw in wood, did the gardens, created new ones by hand...all that stuff...I stayed fat. It didn't help me lose weight.

Even after I lost the weight and was in maintenance last summer I thought lets see how it will impact my days shovelling mulch, weeding my flowers in the spring, doing the wood...by tracking it.

It added the calories I ate them sometimes, sometimes I didn't just like before...nothing changed...and that's my point.

Even those "extra chores" we do maybe 1x a year or 2x a year or even maybe a couple times a month (shovelling driveway of snow) does not impact weight loss...

I find the bolded part a bit perplexing whenever I see that claim of "I did it when I was fat so it shouldn't count." There are plenty of people who did some sort of regular exercise, whether it was walking, running, lifting, or some other fitness program, before they started losing weight. I even know some overweight people who start exercise program to feel better, not to lose weight. And most of us would agree that, regardless of the type of exercise, it's CI vs CO (and generally monitoring or controlling CI) that makes the difference in weight loss.

Why, then, is heavy-duty cleaning or yard work so frequently discounted as a type of exercise? Like most people in this particular discussion, I'm not meaning the day-to-day upkeep, but things like tilling or digging, hauling, moving furniture, etc. Granted, it is harder to accurately track calories burned and one must be more careful in eating those calories back (which is why I tend to deliberately "under-log" such activities, both by intensity and time, when I chose to log them), but that doesn't mean that they don't "count." My opinion is that, if I feel like I actually had a workout from doing the activity (comparing how I feel to what it's like after a good cardio/lifting session at the gym), I'm going to count it as a workout for the day. Especially if it leaves me feeling like I would be overworking things to then go to the gym.

That said, I do agree that it is a valid point to raise when someone says "Help! I can't lose!" My advise is generally to tighten up their food logging and make sure that they are not overestimating exercise calories. But if everything else is going well (weight loss, etc), then it shouldn't be an issue.

because we are not talking about purposeful exercise...something done to increase your health and fitness levels.

not sure why people are confusing the two things.

Exercise done for the sake of exercise and non exercise activity done because it is being done...and probably won't be done again for a while if ever.

and my post readily explains why I don't do it myself and why I don't recommend it.

but what it comes down to really is this...if you aren't in a deficit none of it will help you lose...the exercise nor the life activity (what I will call it from now on)

But from a calories burnt perspective, who cares? I walked 15K steps Saturday golfing. Have not golfed in months. Why would that be different from going on a 10K walk for exercise?

I don't get the distinction.

because your walk was steady state cardio vs Golf (aka standing around waiting for next hole, swinging club, standing around, carry a bag, stand around more etc.)

I expect the only time anyone's heart rate goes up in golf is when they want to throw their club due to a piss poor shot...

I am not saying that there are not exceptions but I still say these random activities that are done like "heavy cleaning" or "tilling a garden" or "throwing in wood" should not be logged as exercise to gain extra food to eat.

In the long run it will not help you lose weight and in fact could hinder it if you get to deep down that hole where you start logging taking the dog out to poo as a walk...esp since people tend to overestimate activity and effort is often exaggerate (I worked really hard, drenched in sweat to prove it)

But as I have said on more than one post about this...it's an individual choice and it's apparently unpopular...who knew.

ETA: I am not trying to discourage physical activity such as tilling etc. as it has it's benefits I suspect mine helps keep me in balance as my logging isn't that great while in maintenance.

For people who are looking for a minimalist approach , below is the bottom line from Garmin Connect. You can create exercise sessions that will capture your stats for that given period of time (a few hundred calories are included here from exercise) and the rest is just incidental activity picked up from wearing the tracker. Since I'm in maintenance, this was my calories threshold for yesterday.

xk6ucqht5h77.png
This discussion has been closed.