Replies

• Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    ccruz985 wrote: »
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    You appear to the casual observer to be one of the "sheep" so the wolves mark you as prey.

It is about body language mostly, especially with women.
    It revolves around how you are carrying yourself and the attitude you are projecting.
    If you want the wolves to leave you alone, look like one of the sheepdogs instead of a sheep.

Those clowns will not stop because they feel safe, empowered and in control.
    Some of them may even think they are flattering you to get a date.
    You on the other hand come across as a victim, even in this post.

My wife (who has fought several grown men full-contact and been in more than one altercation while out drinking in bars) calls it a "perpetual b1tch-face". Move and look like you don't want people messing with you and many won't.
    Of course, being able to back that up helps with your self-confidence.
    My wife may be a little too eager to start stuff sometimes...

Full Disclosure: I have taught Personal Protection, Combatives and Defensive Tactics for about 30 years.

I take issue with your language used here because this is coming off as, "if you just didn't look so approachable they'd stop."

No. She's not the issue. It's them.

He NEVER said she was the issue, nor did he imply it. He's not justifying what they're doing either, he's telling her WHY it's happening, someone close to him who it also happened to, and methods to stop it or minimize it happening.

The attractiveness of the woman isn't the issue, and it's not the reason why women are harassed on the street.

This is so true.
    It is not about the attractiveness of women.
    I am a man. I have been in groups where someone has harassed a stranger on the street.
    It's about being macho. Being the alpha who will confront someone else. All the better if it is in front of your buddies.
    It's about showing that you have the guts to open your mouth to a stranger and say something that is liable to provoke a reaction.
    It is about showing that I am not afraid of you and I am not afraid of your reaction. But, instead, you should be a little intimidated by me.
    I kinda think that is the definition of bullying. No. Not kinda. i definitely think that is the definition of bullying.

Is there any reaction/lack thereof that would have made him think twice about it? That would be a useful data point in this discussion :)

For what it's worth, I think it's important to have both sides in on this discussion. Decent folks need to look out for each other, and figure out how to reduce the impact of the non decent ones.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    It's harassment, plain and simple, and it's not your fault. Ever. Ignoring it is probably the best thing to do, unfortunately, because if you respond with aggression, they might, too. You never know. Women have been killed for less, unfortunately.

I really wish the men reading this post would just read, maybe learn a thing or two about what it's like to walk through this world as a woman, and move on. All the "Hey, this is the solution!" (which is usually just telling a woman how to change her behavior because those men, you know they just can't help themselves.) or "Gosh, I didn't realize men did that! I'm one of the good guys, I swear!" (A thousand shades of #notallmen.) is not helpful. At all.

Once again, this happens to men as well. Woman need to learn to respect boundaries at well.

Men get unwanted advances, groped, and raped as well.

It's a major flaw and issue within a person, not a certain gender.

I never said it didn't happen to men, but this was a post about it happening to a woman and the original poster asked for opinions from women. If men want to discuss this happening to them, then I'd suggest starting a new topic as the insistence of "It happens to men, too!" is derailing and shows a lack of respect to the original poster.

You made a comment specifically about "the men reading this post need to learn". I read it and made a rebuttal of your comment being false and many of us regardless of gender know what she went through.

Hardly derailing

• Wiggymommy
    Wiggymommy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Be direct. Ignore them or if they engage tell them to leave you the F alone. Don't worry about being nice. F nice.
  • clayelliott847
    clayelliott847 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Ok. If I want to talk to a girl, what is the right way?? After reading all these comments I feel I am harrasing by just saying hello.
  • Kintsugi_Haikyo
    Kintsugi_Haikyo Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    ccruz985 wrote: »
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    You appear to the casual observer to be one of the "sheep" so the wolves mark you as prey.

It is about body language mostly, especially with women.
    It revolves around how you are carrying yourself and the attitude you are projecting.
    If you want the wolves to leave you alone, look like one of the sheepdogs instead of a sheep.

Those clowns will not stop because they feel safe, empowered and in control.
    Some of them may even think they are flattering you to get a date.
    You on the other hand come across as a victim, even in this post.

My wife (who has fought several grown men full-contact and been in more than one altercation while out drinking in bars) calls it a "perpetual b1tch-face". Move and look like you don't want people messing with you and many won't.
    Of course, being able to back that up helps with your self-confidence.
    My wife may be a little too eager to start stuff sometimes...

Full Disclosure: I have taught Personal Protection, Combatives and Defensive Tactics for about 30 years.

I take issue with your language used here because this is coming off as, "if you just didn't look so approachable they'd stop."

No. She's not the issue. It's them.

He NEVER said she was the issue, nor did he imply it. He's not justifying what they're doing either, he's telling her WHY it's happening, someone close to him who it also happened to, and methods to stop it or minimize it happening.

The attractiveness of the woman isn't the issue, and it's not the reason why women are harassed on the street.

This is so true.
    It is not about the attractiveness of women.
    I am a man. I have been in groups where someone has harassed a stranger on the street.
    It's about being macho. Being the alpha who will confront someone else. All the better if it is in front of your buddies.
    It's about showing that you have the guts to open your mouth to a stranger and say something that is liable to provoke a reaction.
    It is about showing that I am not afraid of you and I am not afraid of your reaction. But, instead, you should be a little intimidated by me.
    I kinda think that is the definition of bullying. No. Not kinda. i definitely think that is the definition of bullying.

Well, the four incidents I listed above were when the guy was by himself - and only one of those incidents was in an isolated place.

So I guess this is your way of saying to us to whom this happens, "Don't flatter yourself, you aren't all that? We are just playing Alpha reindeer games. "

Well, we men are playing Aplha reindeer games. It really isn't about you. You are just a prop in the play (like going to a play) these socially inept men from some specific sub-culture are performing for each other.
  • Kintsugi_Haikyo
    Options
    Hoshiko wrote: »

Sorry.
    I did not mean that at all.
    I was only referencing the last statement in the thread.
    I simply meant it is not about women being women. I meant it is about men being aggressive and being jerks.
    I only thought being honest about what I have perceived as a male might be helpful.
    But I'll stay out now.

I understand that you were trying to help, and not necessarily looking to blame women. Please understand though, one of the major problems with this way of thinking is that 9/10 guys may be harmless *kitten* looking for a reaction who will back off, but as a woman you never know when you'll run into that 1/10 guy who is actually dangerous and takes your assertive posture as a personal affront. Believe me, as someone who is never shy about sticking up for and defending myself I used to think that women needed to seem less approachable, or have thicker skin. Catcalls were annoying but never scared me. Then one day I literally ran into one of those dangerous types, and the only thing that assured a good outcome in my case was by running to a bar and being saved by a large group of bystanders.

So sure, that guy catcalling me is most likely a harmless jerk and I still take the precautions I can, but inside I know that there's a chance that this situation is a dangerous one, and it ruins my day. It's not a joke to me, and it makes me paranoid and hostile during what should be a decent run.

It's up to everyone to call out this behavior, because it's not as harmless as it seems. That includes men not excusing that behavior in other men, or suggesting that women can stop it simply by seeming tough or bitchy.

This same thing goes on with men and other men all the time. Especially young me who don't have an education and believe the only way to get more in life is to take your piece of the pie instead of making the pie bigger for everyone. Or men who are jealous of what you have (or what they think you have) so they out of their way to prove they are tougher than you-- like insulting you in public for no reason but to show off that they can get a way with it while their buddies are there. Seriously it's totally *kitten*. Why do you think men "bulk-up", take martial arts, etc...

I remember one time in high-school this total jerk was messing with me in class for no reason. He was "preppy" and I was a nerd. He kept looking at me and saying "I'm going to kick your *kitten* after school." I was like "what, your aren't serious? Why should we fight I don't even know you." Well, he didn't really reply, just kept looking at me and made aggressive postures toward me. He was sitting in the desk in front of me, but in the row to my right when facing the front of the class. Of course the teacher just ignored everything (I went to public school).

Well, the rest of the day I was trying to figure out how to avoid this guy after school. Then around 6th period (the last class of the day) I heard that an Asian guy stabbed him (he was white). Up to that point in my life, I had never felt so relived as when I heard the was stabbed.

It happens all the time for young adult males too. Seriously, it's a jungle out there.
  • Hoshiko
    Hoshiko Posts: 179 Member
    Options

I was not excusing anything.
    I simply thought that there is this mistaken impression that this kind of behavior is about crude, irrepressible, male sexual impulses.
    In my experience, the average, normal male can control their sexual urges. What they don't control -- too often -- is their ego and their aggressive impulses, and that is what harassing women is. It is aggression, in these cases directed towards women. Not attraction.
    And, FYI, I actually do not believe that the best solution is for individual women to stand up to these perhaps dangerous bullies.

Sorry, I actually read back and think I mistook your comment for the one you were quoting. I should have addressed it to @cqbkaju. My statement still stands, but I apologize for pinning it to you! I agree with you that it's about aggression.

• Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there just isn't an answer that I can think of, you can't control people or their actions unfortunately. Thankfully this kind of behavior is illegal in the workplace, but it's hard to legislate it out on the street, but maybe this type of behavior should be illegal in and outside of the workplace...

As a husband and father, I don't feel it would be to terrible of an idea if the OP had the right to go to the police and have the jerk that ran next to her at the very least slapped with a fine.

I mean sure this opens up us good guys to all sorts of trouble and Bs claims but women shouldn't have to put up with jerks because of this.

It all comes down to how we raise our kids. This guy sounds like some over privileged, spoiled, brat who's gotten away with being able to say and do whatever he's wanted his whole life. Sounds like his parents never kicked his *kitten* when he deserved it. Far too common these days, whatever happened to old school parents...
  • Kintsugi_Haikyo
    Options
    Keira08 wrote: »
    This happens way more often than it should to me, only when running outside. I must have perpetual resting b-face as I never get hit on or checked out in 'normal' life (that I notice), only ever when running so it has literally nothing to do with how you carry yourself. It's harassment, simple. I once had a lit cigarette thrown at me while I was out running.
    I don't know what these peoples problem is but its exactly that, their problem and not yours. You keep doing you, run in public places, keep moving and try to ignore them

I was in New Orleans once for Marti Gras. There was a group of guy, about 10, hanging out and drinking beer. Big guys too. One of the threw what was left of his lit cigarette at my girlfriend, directly in front of me. My girlfriend wanted me to fight, but she wasn't very "street" wise. It was obvious those guys wanted to pound some nerdy guy down, just because they could. These days, it's a game some guys play. Once they beat you down and they just keep on beating you, even if you get knocked out. If it was just the one guy, yea, I would have fought him. But, I know the deal. I think most men do. There are plenty of videos on youtube that show some poor sucker getting the tar beat out of him because he had to defend his "manhood", as in (you can't push me around) or his honor. Thing is, they don't let the victim run away, they chase him and then ground him till he is out like a light then beat him until the cops come of other people step in.
This discussion has been closed.