Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Snatch, C&J: Post your best videos

Options

Replies

• curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Not really topic related but just made a deal on a new addition to my home gym. a classic York Barbell split sleeve power bar. Can't wait to get through the running and get back into some serious lifting again. well that is if I survive telling the wife that I bought another barbell.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    jayemes wrote: »
    jayemes wrote: »
    @quiksylver296 I want to be you when I grow up.

Awww. Thanks. I'm a huge Wonder Woman fan, too, BTW. :) I just got some WW socks for deadlifting. WW shaker cup. WW phone case. At least four WW shirts... :p

My daughter told me she wants to be Wonder Woman for Halloween which was the reason I chose this avi when I joined MFP this summer. Can't go wrong with Wonder Woman!

Oh, yeah. I have a WW costume, too.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    ^^^ I thought the title was just a little joke until I saw the swifter! LOL!
    :p

Sometimes I even do sets of laundry

Come lift at my house, then. :D

:D

Hope you have plenty of coffee and Kringle then!

Coffee, yes. I don't even know what Kringle is, but if you're going to clean, I can get some!

Kringle is one of the best pastries you can eat in the area.

My fav...Pecan. on my last bulk, I averaged one a day.

I'm guessing we don't have this locally. But I think I need some.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

Coffee, yes. I don't even know what Kringle is, but if you're going to clean, I can get some!

I'm guessing we don't have this locally. But I think I need some.

It's a WI thing that has dribbled over the border into IL so I rep the goods. It can be frozen and sent if you care to try.
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    FrontSq: 225x8x4@8
    SlingShot: 300x4x1@9
    295x4x2@9
    Deads:445x1x1@8
    385×5x3@8
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

I still think the origin was a failed pastry and someone forgot to add the yeast, but yeah - one of the of the greatest inventions of mankind. I'm torn between the turtle and the pecan.
  • greggyboy77
    greggyboy77 Posts: 10 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Hey guys and gals
    Started SL 5x5 a while back then dropped off during the summer (holidays/work/being a lazy git!) but getting back on it this week. Work out at home so don't have anybody to critic my technique, so have taken a short video of my squats and would love some advice/pointers from you much more experienced people!
    Thanks in advance
    G

• quiksylver296
    Options
    Hey guys and gals
    Started SL 5x5 a while back then dropped off during the summer (holidays/work/being a lazy git!) but getting back on it this week. Work out at home so don't have anybody to critic my technique, so have taken a short video of my squats and would love some advice/pointers from you much more experienced people!
    Thanks in advance
    G

Depth is great. It looks like your knees bow inward on your up motion. Try to keep them pointing out. My trainer says to keep your knees tracking with your 2nd/3rd toes. Your bar looks awful high on your neck, which is probably why it hurts and you need the bar pad. This picture shows high bar placement vs low bar placement. You look higher than even the high bar placement, from what I could see in the vid.

98as82c0ejny.jpg
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Nothing like some of you folk but happy with my 315x2 rep pr for squats. Never, ever worked legs prior to my 40's so I've gone from struggling with 135 to a couple reps at 315. This is also at a lower bodyweight (190 vs 215)compared to the first time I got a single at 315.

To the bolded - DOESN'T MATTER!!! ;)

And very awesome! Well done! I started powerlifting at 42. The 40's are the best!
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    295x4x2@9
    385×5x3@8

Did you wrap straps around the bar to hold onto on the front squat? Finding a grip that works is one of my biggest complaints about front squats.
  • greggyboy77
    greggyboy77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey guys and gals
    Thanks in advance
    G

Depth is great. It looks like your knees bow inward on your up motion. Try to keep them pointing out. My trainer says to keep your knees tracking with your 2nd/3rd toes. Your bar looks awful high on your neck, which is probably why it hurts and you need the bar pad. This picture shows high bar placement vs low bar placement. You look higher than even the high bar placement, from what I could see in the vid.

98as82c0ejny.jpg

Awesome advice, just the kind of guidance I was looking for.
    Thank you quiksylver296 :-)

G
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    295x4x2@9
    385×5x3@8

Did you wrap straps around the bar to hold onto on the front squat? Finding a grip that works is one of my biggest complaints about front squats.

Can't speak for Chieflrg but using straps around the bar is the ONLY way I can get front squats to work. I suppose if I did them all the time the flexibility would come but they aren't programmed in that frequently.

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    295x4x2@9
    385×5x3@8

I know you didn't ask me either - but ;) - I'm trying to learn to use the "standard" grip and it freaking sucks!
    I could probably do the arm cross variation and be fine, but since I'm trying to learn Oly lifts I suppose it's best to just figure it out... I'm struggling hard with not having the mobility to do the standard front rack though! We maxed the other day and my elbows not being up really limited how much I could lift.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    295x4x2@9
    385×5x3@8

Can't speak for Chieflrg but using straps around the bar is the ONLY way I can get front squats to work. I suppose if I did them all the time the flexibility would come but they aren't programmed in that frequently.

Yeah. That's my problem, too.
  • Chieflrg
    edited September 2017
    Options
    295x4x2@9
    385×5x3@8

I use straps just to stabilize the bar when my flexibility isn't there from a lack of doing fronts in this case it's been over six months.

Straps help keeps my elbows up with less pain to my joints/tendons in the mean time. I found when doing a traditional front squat using the very ends of the fingers works best for me. Its pretty much like a hook grip, the more practice the easier for some lifters but not all.

• Chieflrg
    Options
    I'm struggling hard with not having the mobility to do the standard front rack though! We maxed the other day and my elbows not being up really limited how much I could lift.

It will come in time trust me. I'm probably the most immobile person that lifts due to my nasty joint disease and 24/7 swelling not to mention being a older male.

Perhaps moving your hands out farther away from your shoulders without pinkies will help for now?
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    295x4x2@9
    385×5x3@8

Yeah. That's my problem, too.

Exactly, I programmed them reluctantly into my off season so I can take a break from the intensity 1/3 days of squatting per week. I'm not a huge fan of quad dominant exercises.