Unwarranted Advice

Replies

• newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    I have a colleague who did low-carb and lost 37 pounds. She'd gained 7 back "because of the sugar and carbs." She can't stick to low-carb because she doesn't like it and doesn't understand she lost weight because of a calorie deficit. And she doesn't have to "do low-carb" in order to lose weight, espcially since it isn't sustainable for her.

She does weight-watchers religiously and we debated on Friday (frankly, I avoid talking about food/weight-loss with her because of all the woo, she's done HCG, too--how can such an intelligent woman fall for all this crap?) because one of her meeting "leaders" told them at a meeting that blending fruit (just fruit, nothing else) increased the number of calories. I told her that was absolutely ridiculous and by that logic the act of cutting food with a knife before eating it increased calories. I was eating a bowl of blended fruit (nothing added--I like all the flavors) when she came into my office.

Sigh ...

This was always a giant issue when I was with WW. The fruit itself (which you're supposed to eat "within reason" whatever that means) is no points, but if you put it in a recipe points are assigned, so it looks like it suddenly acquires calories (which of course it always had). WW was really poor at explaining why they did it this way, and there were endless threads basically asking wtf.

This fruit and veggie blending mess was an endless point of debate. The issue was count points or not for blended produce. Now that the end of the year is approaching and thats when they usually roll out the next "new and improved " program, get ready to hear more stuff like this.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    edited September 2017
    I'll regret this but....what is blended fruit. I'm not interested in buying into hype, I just don't understand (eg is it literally blended to a puree)? I'm a CICO person through and through. If you want to intermittent fast or do low/no carb or whatever, I don't care. Just don't assume what works for your body and lifestyle is THE way to do it instead of A way to do it.

Pureed fruit or fruit blended into a smoothie. Funny part is I use their recipes. Raw or cooked
    fruit and veggies have no points. Veggies and fruit in a smoothie have points. But a pureed all vegetable soup has none. Ha.