WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    So sad to learn of Gloria's passing. She was a very special woman. Not much to add tonight.
    SueBDew in TX
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    ChinnyDee wrote: »
    Is this a group - Women over 50+? I need to join a group but not sure how.

Maybe someone else has said this, but this is simply a thread in a forum. There will be a new one each month, and all you need to do is participate ... just like you have. :)

Welcome here!

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    Rye - I'm so verry sorry for you. Something awesome will come along, that's for sure.

Meg - (((HUGS)))

Yvonne - thanks for reminding me about quiche. I haven't made the spinach/feta quiche in quite a while

Well, we got news about the condo. There are three buildings in the condo complex. The roof of "A" building blew off when Matthew hit. This time the roof of our condo ("B") came off and there was water damage to some of the condos, also there was damage to the roof of "C" building. Vince is thinking that he should go down there in a few days to check things out. A friend of ours has volunteered to go with him. He wants me to stay home since we don't know if there's anything wrong with the windows (I tend to doubt it), but if for some reason there aren't any windows, it wouldn't be safe for the cats. He has no idea how long he'll be down there. There was water damage to some of the condos, no idea how much. I'm thinking that most of the damage was to the condos on the fourth floor, but who knows if the water seeped down to the third (where ours is). They're only turning on the water from 7a.m. to 9a.m. and 5pm to 9pm. Power is expected to be restored Sun. We honestly didn't think there'd be that much damage. Plus...they're telling people not to go to FL right now since the roads are packed with evacuees returning.

We shall see what the future brings.

Michele in NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Dana: Thank you for sharing information from Gloria's daughter. :star:

Meg: (((HUGS)))

Michele: I hope your damages in Florida are minimal. I wish you good luck. :flowerforyou:

I will miss Gloria. She was smart, courageous and generous. What a terrible loss for her family, her boys, and those of us lucky enough to have met her here on MFP as a friend.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • Machka9
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    I will miss Gloria. She was smart, courageous and generous. What a terrible loss for her family, her boys, and those of us lucky enough to have met her here on MFP as a friend.

I agree.

:(

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    I'M SO FAR BEHIND; and, know I would never catch up. It is still long, I did not proof-read it. Just wanted to say things.

Heather – I don’t remember if it was whooping cough or the croup that made my boys get stuffed up. I know that one can be treated with antibiotics and the other sort of has to run its course. The stopping up was relieved by steaming up the bathroom by turning on the shower on hot; sitting there, then taking them outside and walking around the house (cooler hair). Both make you feel and sound miserable. Hope you are feeling better and that the others feel better, too. If I am around anyone who has any type of respiratory infection, I am going to get it. I think it is the Whooping Cough that you can pass around and is treated with antibiotics; and the croup is just getting really stuffed up and not able to breathe.

Lisa – Thanks for the instructions. Sometimes we just need a ‘snap test’ to remember how to do something.

Joyce – Religion and politics (church politics) can divide a church in a NY minute. Quite often one of the reasons is the ‘younger’ adults start elbowing out the ‘older’ generation and they each want the church to stay or move in a different direction. I don’t think any religion is immune to it. Baptists get to ‘choose and pick their preachers and sometimes they are either good preachers or good pastors; rarely both). I think Methodists get whoever the Bishop of the church decides will be there for a period of time. We went to a Catholic Church in Macon where the Head priest came there as a ‘new’ priest and he ‘retired’ there. Wonderful man. Great priest, great teacher and he did NOT play favorites. If a family wanted him to come eat dinner or supper with him, he would suggest they ask the 2 ‘priests in training’ … because he felt as ‘if he accepted one invitation’ it would create trouble. We invited the 2 ‘priests in training’ over for supper one night and had a blast. They rode bikes, stored their kayaks under the back steps to the rectory. I wonder where each of them ended up. I think, in any case, the smaller the congregation of a church is, probably the more ‘one upmanship’ you have. Oh, ‘hand fans’ … very used to them. Down here in ‘gnat country’ if you are outside, you will have one (easily within reach). The priest in Macon was also pretty vocal about ‘crying babies or misbehaving children’ being ‘taken out of the service’ and he pointed out the doors.

I thought I was the only one who is convinced that my ‘smart phone’ is a helluva lot smarter than I am. I had to go to the Honda place to have my ‘new’ on synched to my ‘hands-free’ thing. Now, I will have to go in and program in the 20 contacts I might call. Now, just to figure out who I put in there. It will be something I do for another day.

Today I cleaned out my 2-drawer filing cabinet – got rid of a lot of trash. I won’t start on the bigger one until later. With my busted big toe, I am finding it difficult to get up & down while wearing a boot.

Carol – I hope that isn’t true about Gloria. I have not checked my FB recently. I will go there and pull her up and see what is being said. Wasn’t she raising her two or three grandsons?
    Well, I guess if something happens to me, Carol would know about it since she and my middle sister were HS classmates in a ‘small town HS’. Probably vice versa.

KJ – I’d do the same. But, when I started doing some major dental work, the Periodontist who was putting in the metal posts suggested that I replace them. It has certainly helped. But, if I do get a metallic taste in my mouth it is because I am ‘mouth-breathing’. I use Biotene products. Mouthwash, gel to help hold my night guard (TMJ) in, and ACT mints. I can understand that ‘tingling’ feeling. We were sitting on our swing on the back (covered) deck and watched the storm, march right up to us … storming to beat the band and we decided we needed to go inside, too.

Did Joaquin steal the show from the young lady at the quincenera party? Love his little helmet. Doesn’t seem to bother him at al.

Michele – I haven’t read the FB postings about Gloria. I do remember when a good HS friend of mine passed away … it was very ‘vague’; but, the ‘was’ a good man … and other comments made me wonder what the heck was going on. Another good friend of mine, called me that day and told me what had occurred. So sad. But, things you just never know why and it isn’t meant to be.

As for ‘in-laws’ and ‘out-laws’. Tami and Will make sure when we go out there that all of us ‘go out together’. Tami’s parents are a little strange; but, nice. Her Dad is a bit quiet until you get to know him … but her mother is just a tad friendlier. Her Dad ‘loves’ Will and helps him when he needs extra hands or something on one of the big pieces of machinery. I can remember when Will was talking about asking Tami to marry him, I told him that he ‘first’ needed to ask her Dad for her hand in marriage. He thought I was being ‘so old-fashioned’ and ‘besides she had been married before, with a child, and was self-supporting’. I told him, “NO, Will … That is that man’s ‘baby girl’ … she’s been through a lot and he needs to know that you are ‘serious’ about being married to her. So he did it. I think it is just the ‘right thing to do’. Maybe it is more of a “Southern” thing. I don’t know. He told Will … “On one condition … that you NEVER hurt her; because, ‘if you do’ … you will regret it.” Will is extremely protective of Tami and Mallory. He has no use for our DDnL#1 because of how she treated her when she did not ‘instantly’ respond to a ‘text message’. When she got ‘crawled about it’ … she realized that she had just ‘stepped in her own poop’. But, Tami did say that DDnL#1 had sent her a really sweet email (after the miscarriage) … but; she just wasn’t answering any emails or text messages on order from her OB. He told her to take her phone home, turn it off, temporarily disengage from FB and other social networking sites, not to “google” ALL the questions that people were asking her. She and Will need to take time to grieve this loss and the more they removed themselves from the questions with no answers, the quicker they would move through it. So I told Jenn that Tami ‘acknowledged’ her email; but, why she probably would not get a response. She had told her that there were ‘no words for the loss’, and sent her a Bible verse. Very appropriate and showed that she ‘does really have a good heart’. Sometimes it is difficult for me to see it because I sometimes get Jenn’s wrath. We’re trying. She is the ‘gatekeeper’ of my DGDs, so there is a lot of time, I just ‘bite my lip’.

I don’t really remember my parents and Louis’ parents getting together that much after we married. Louis’ parents lived in Jacksonville; and, the first 2 years of our marriage we lived in Jacksonville. We always spent holidays split between them. A weekend before or after at either. Then we lived in Albany, then moved to Macon (25 miles away from my parents). Even, then … because my MnL was a ‘professional nanny’ … she came to help me with both sons. My mother never has been much of a ‘baby’ person. Now, my Daddy on the other hand was always the ‘nut for the baby of the family’. My oldest sister’s youngest daughter is deaf … and she was favorite – probably of all times. Trey, being the ‘first’ grandson … stepped in his footprints while following him from the office to the house. I was the ‘baby’ of our family for the longest period of time – of all time. I can remember he always called me “Dale” (I was a huge Dale Evans/Roy Rogers fan. After he had a major stroke, I finally crawled up in the hospital bed beside him in the ICU and told him it would be ok if he went home. All I wanted was for him to ‘meet’ me and “Call me Dale, Daddy!” … so I would know that I had died and I wasn’t having a bad dream. I’ve had way too many brushes with death; and, I know I have seen others; but, not him. I firmly believe that you ‘see’ family members and friends on your way through that tunnel into the light. Sorry, if you do not agree … it is just that real to me.

Lanette – That is so sad. If all you walkers and bikers are doing so after dark; please put on a LOT of reflective-type of clothes.

Do any of you remember making paper fans; by folding a piece of paper in an accordion fashion and spreading it out? A Japanese great-aunt of mine taught us how to make them. She wore kimonos and all that. Did not understand English too well (was a ‘war bride’ … his Mama was NOT happy); but, they finally welcomed her into the family. Used to make the BEST stuffed cabbage leaves.

Katie – Will has ‘always’ come home for Thanksgiving [spent time hunting with his brother]. Then he got married and because of a ‘split custody arrangement’ … her ‘ex’ was being a ‘dickhead’ (that is being extremely nice); so she drove over and spent Friday, Saturday, and Sunday with us. They were not married at that particular time; but, were engaged. The first year; she told her ‘ex’ that she was now married and Will’s family lived in GA and they WERE going to spend Thanksgiving weekend with us and ‘if he did not like it; he could take her to court over it’. Mallory deserved to be able to get to know her 1st cousins. Things were going to change for all of them and either they could ‘work’ together or he could take her to court … did not matter to her. So, since, they have been a bit ‘more’ lenient; but Tami says she is pretty sure that it will ultimately end up going through legal processes. Her ‘ex’s’ wife is a pluperfect “B”. Not long after they were married, they were all together for a dance recital and Mallory was excited because they had been looking for a place to build a home, a house of the lake or something. The ‘step-mother’ said, “That SUXS. Then you would only be able to see your Mama every other weekend and one day during the middle of the week!” YOU COULD HEAR A PIN DROP! Will said that Tami got all up in her face and told her that ‘they had attempted to take Mallory away from her for the LAST DAMN time – if they wanted to have a ‘fight’ … she’s ready. Over the years, for various reasons … first one being when she went back to school to become a cosmetologist and stopped working for the doctor group. Over really stupid reasons he dragged her into court. About the 3rd time the Judge told him, they needed to come to a settlement and stop pissing him off … and that ‘if’ he EVER showed back up before him, for ANY reason … it would NOT be good. She’s allowed Mallory to go to the beach with them on a weekend that wasn’t his time, because it is good for her to get to go spend time at the beach before the grind of school rolls around. The splitting of holidays is the hardest because depending on the convenience to ‘him’ [or not] … he gives her a difficult time. This last Thanksgiving was the first time Will (and Tami and Mallory) did not come. But, they surprised us for Easter weekend. She called our DOGD to make sure we were going to be ‘in town’. Called her to come down here so they could surprise me. Doorbell rang and I told the girls, ‘one of you get the door, please’. They kept talking and jabbering to one another, so I got up and mumbled to myself … don’t bother … Got to the door and all I saw were balloons. NEVER expecting them to be here I thought, “OH $#*T … I have won the Publisher’s Clearing House Sweepstakes!” I jerked the door open and could hear snickering. I thought it was Emilee (sounded like her) and she had asked, ‘guess who’. I said Easter Bunny, Sweepstakes, and she let up on the ribbons and about that time Tami called me (and videoed it). I was ‘so excited to see them). I even took the balloons after the helium ran out and wrapped them around a Styrofoam ball and tied the ribbons to them and put them under a glass jar.

Terry in VT – Just soaked it and rebadged it. Not ‘throbbing’ like it was earlier today. Will take a pain pill just to make sure I am able to ‘get to sleep’. I will keep it in the boot so the covers don’t weigh down on it.

Janetr okc – I think we are all ‘family’ and we are all very sad to find out about Gloria. She was, in my book, an amazing woman – especially to take on raising her grandsons (for whatever reason). We should keep them ‘in our prayers and thoughts as well’.

Meg – Don’t run the risk of committing a Federal offense … go to the Post Office and make out a ‘change of address’ for her … that way within a couple of weeks, the mail will go to wherever she is staying and not to you where it makes you feel like it is your responsibility to try to get it to her. Sounds like one who just wants to ‘blame others’ for not being responsible for her actions. I’ll tell them to forward ALL mail addressed to her. If after 3 weeks you are still getting mail for her; then you can trash it – you would have done your part by filling out the ‘change of address’ form.

Josephine – Twice a year (at least) we get the Jehovah Witnesses come out here ‘in the middle of the boonies’ to try to leave their materials. The way our driveway is situated, I can see someone coming down it long before they pull up in the driveway behind our house. IF they ever get rid of their White SUV – then maybe I might get surprised. Mostly it has been 2 women; but, the last time a man came with one of the women (I recognized). All ‘doodled up in white) and ‘white van’. I ALWAYS meet them ‘outside’ and stand on the deck right about them. I’m polite, they’re polite. I tell them I am Catholic and they ask politely if they can leave their materials with me to look over; I take it (it goes in the trash most of the time). This last time, they were walking to get back in the car and the man turned around and said, “I’d like to ask you a question, who do y’all pray to’? I laughed and told him to the same God that all Christians pray to. I know where you are going with them … about the “Hail Mary” … it is a intercessory prayer and not meant to take the place of communication prayer with our Savior. We ‘revere’ Mary as the earthly Mother of God the Son, who became man to be among us. That seemed to satisfy his curiosity. I think it has been about a year since they have even been out here.

Lenora
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    :'( Rest in Peace, Sweet Gloria.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry about Gloria. She was such a wonderful woman and friend. I think it should make us all think about making sure someone knows to let someone here know if something should happen to us.

Charlie asks me how in the world I can consider some one here as a friend when I have never met you. What if what they are writing is all a hoax? Well, I have been here enough years that no one here is a hoax. You are real to me, we share, we cry, we pray, we praise. Well we might as well be going to church together the way I describe it!!!! LOL

Before all of the grandkids started having kids, holidays were so much simpler. The way the Peterson family did it was that Thanksgiving was here at home. This that time both Mom and Dad were alive, my sister and I live here so 'here' is home to the family. Wherever Mom and Dad is becomes home. Then they Christmas you go to your in laws. So each half of a marriage have a ho,I day with their family. Christmas is held whenever the family can get together after Christmas. One year it was February. It is usually the 1st or 2nd Saturday after Christmas. We discuss it well enough ahead so people can make sure they gav that weekend off. We used to have it at my house but there are so many little ones that it is just to much to have it here so we rent a place so we can still cook a good meal. One year many years ago we had it catered and dcided t never do that again. No one can make dressing like we do, no one can make sweet potatoes like we do, etc. so we rent a kitchen and a hall. It works.

I remember when the Christmases we had when the kids were little. Charlies Dad was married to this woman who loved to coat on HER own children and grand children. But her husbands had little thought. The tree could hardly be found. You could hardly walk into the room. One year Christina was about 12 and she got a coloring book and 12 crayons. After they were about the age of 6 and 8 or so, w started making the habit of letting them take one gift from under our tree to take over there so I knew they would get 1 gift that was nice and thoughtful. I remember a year I had got them both house shoes. The pair I bought Michelle were big animal shoes and didn't fit in one box so I wrapped two boxes. And that was the one box she picked! So she opened up one shoe at ther Grandpas house! But the girls likes is ladies children enough that they tolerated going over there. Plus I told them that he is your grandpa, no matter how difficult is is, it would be hard on him if you did t go. He was always so disappointed when Charlies brother would come over with his girls. So my two were the only two that went. I have become good friends with one of his wife's daughters. She hated it that her Mom would buy such terrible things for my girls but lavish them with things. She tried to talk to her Mom about it and her Mom just really couldn't stand any of her husbands kids and only bought token presents. I'm not even sure if is Dad knew what she bought for his Grandkids. I think he was relieved he didn't have to do any thinking about what might be appropriate for his grand kids. I know tats how Charlie is. I bought for his siblings for several years until I just forced him to d it with me.mbut it still was me doing most of the thinking and definitely the wrapping. Now his Mom, I loved to buy for her. She was special.

Joyce, Indiana
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,129 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    So sorry to hear about Gloria. She was indeed a special person to many people on MFP. :cry: My prayers go out to her family and friends.

IrishnTerri x7u2lwh4r3rr.jpg

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    woke up at 2:30 and could not go back to sleep so here I am...
    spoke with my landlord yesterday and the tenant will be moving out this morning..He doesnt want to put the electric and water in his name for 2 weeks... and if he can get his stuff out ,i can move in early...I am not going to pay anything until I am in there full time, but am meeting him this weekend to go over stuff..
    I am hoping he does clean the carpeting... and there is wayyyy to much stuff in that place, as any of you saw that looked at it online.
    I am still in shock over Gloria... makes all the more time is precious.... I did invite her daughter to join us here, and hopefully she will. her and I chatted for a bit on messenger...
    I am sitting outside in the dark with my laptop and listening to the summer crickets before they go away with the cooler weather... it is muggy yesterday and today..
    Like I said I have the weekend off , so will be going through my stuff and getting rid of what I dont need.
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    So sorry to read about our Gloworm. My thoughts went immediately to her grandsons. I fear her sudden passing will be difficult for them.

/Penny at the North Pole
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Good morning all, up early as usual reading your posts and treasuring our friendships.

Lisa I printed off your instructions and will practice posting a link over the weekend- I love a homework assignment.

I have a very large list of catch up work this weekend to try to manage my workload, don't know when it will feel manageable--but it will eventually.

Can't talk about holidays y'all, I'm living in the now!! Trying to savor all the good, recognize the not so good is part of life and today is the present ;)

:o NYKAREN
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, My Friends

Lovely to see posts from Irish Terri and Penny!

Today I will be thinking about what an inspiration Gloria was, and will be thinking of the grandchildren she was raising. I pick up my 11 and 8 year old grandchildren from school/bus stop this afternoon. Her grandchildren are 12 and 9, I think.

Karen in VIrginia
  • Machka9
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Lots of walking today ...

Walking in the morning between Dr and work, walking on my way to the university after work, walking after the university, and walking to the beach with my husband in the evening. Plus 20 flights of stairs (400 stairs).

I'm tired and cold ... we're supposed to get snow down to 300 metres again tonight and tomorrow. Winter just doesn't want to go!

So my exciting Friday evening will be me, wrapped in a blanket, studying.

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,217 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Hi Linda! Nice to see you! :D
    I too am thinking of Gloria today and the amazing job she did taking on those two boys. <3<3<3<3<3o:)o:)o:)o:)o:):'(

My cough is slowly improving - it's not so deep and not so many fits. If you missed my post yesterday, the doctor said to give it another week. I think it is on the mend.

I am beating myself up about not having touched my memoir for a couple of months. I've been so low in energy, but I also sense some resistance there as well. I keep promising myself to get back to it and then I don't.

Karen - Loved the partying Joaquin!

Much love to all my dear friends, Heather UK xxxxxxx