Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• cellosmiles
    cellosmiles Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Friday fitness
    Well i downloaded this zombie run app. And used it a few times this week. It made walking fun by listening to a story and outrunning the zombies. LOL With the cooler weather my weightloss has begun again, as i am definitely more motivated to get outside and move!

I have also been working on doing a few core type exercises. Doing things like modified pushups, planks, lunges, dips bicep curls etc...really does use all sorts of muscle groups that walking the dogs does not! Ive been trying to do some a few times a week. But would like to get into a bit more of a regular routine with that too!
  • happygirlxxx
    happygirlxxx Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I agree drinking hot water makes you feel satisfied; actually in Asia they drink hot water with their meals. When I just got there I had to clarify that I wanted ice water because automatically they brought me hot one ... but I actually ended up liking it so when I moved back to the US and ask for hot water people looked at me like I was crazy ... they ask do you want tea? And I was, no just plain hot water ...

@cellosmiles never heard of the zombie running app; that is hilarious... I should look it up!
  • newjax2017
    newjax2017 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Friday fitness.... I don't do anything except walk my steps using the fitbit I got August 5. It is helpful as it gets me up from my desk and moving but it's not exercise. I need to start thinking about that. I probably won't go to the gym consistently and I have no room for a treadmill (and they are expensive) so I am thinking of a stationary bike. ?
    And @happy girl, we don't have halo top here either and that bums me out!.. unfortunately we do have h aagen dazs , which I love : )
  • jam5660
    jam5660 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    @newjax2017 steps are a great start, especially if you have a goal that you have to get up and do extra, thats what i did the first 4 months. The only reason i went gym is the ymca has kid care so the kids can socialize, and we have the pool. If it wasnt for that i would have spent the astrinomical yearly fee on a piece of personal equipment. And another thought to the bike is they make smaller ellipticals/steppers for under $150. I have never liked the seats on the bikes especially smaller ones, I'm always fighting to stay on it.
  • jam5660
    Options
    Fitness friday: hit the ymca Monday and Wednesday on the elliptical for an hour, and probably going to do the same today. I have lost another 1.6lbs since Wednesday so I think exercising like this is what I have been missing all summer. But boy are my thighs sore!! My low back pain had returned over the summer too but it is getting better with the exercise!
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Friday Fitness .. had my doctor checkup yesterday and he gave me a script for physical therapy ... so once the insurance approves it I'll be starting up a PT program for my spine/pelvis issues that cause my legs to go numb when I stand. Last step efforts to keep from resorting to spine surgery. So ... that will be on my fitness radar for the upcoming months once it's all in place. In the meantime the doc had the usual recommendation for me ... eat less and be more active, don't sit so much. He was, however, very happy with the blood work numbers. Gave me a 4-month time frame before another checkup.

@anneshields001 ... I also drink hot water, as was mentioned by several others ... and now I remember that I also ate 1 ...just 1 ... almond; very slowly and deliberately, savoring it, concentrating on the texture of it went from firm nugget to pastiness before swallowing it. And all the while I 'meditated' on the taste and feel of that nut I would tell my stomach .... 'there, you have been fed, now calm down'. Silly sounding, I know. But it worked as long as I took my time with the nut instead of mindlessly tossing it in and chowing it down.
  • cellosmiles
    cellosmiles Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    @newjax2017 i bought a elliptical for $3 cad off my local facebook 24 hr bidding site. Several others that week sold between 5 and $20. Mine works great looks brand new and costs $200us to buy new. If i can fit a piece of equipment into a travel trailer...lol you should be able to get creative if you buy something. But regardless of buying something...introducing some other exercises is a good way to go. And most take up little room and require no equipment. For inspiration you can google exercise challenges. Sorry i am on a smartphone so cant put links here as to the ones i am trying. But good luck! And great work on the steps!
  • pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Friday fitness. I've been so busy I haven't thought about exercise. I walk my dog almost daily but hadn't looked at how I was doing. Since Harvey left I am doing 12,000 to 19,000 steps a day! I had to change my route with dog and it's a mile and a half longer, 4.5 miles. With everything else it really adds up. The extra 25 minutes hasn't been a bother. Walking just doesn't seem to be enough or intense enough but the dog has to walk and my knees can't take jogging. They rebuilt knees differently in the 80's than they do today. I may try intervals of higher pace but it might confuse the dog.
  • LadySanguin
    LadySanguin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't have exactly 100 lbs to lose, but I have enough that it seems like it. I'm looking to lose 70-90 lbs. as far as being Friday: I'm currently doing PiYo, Sunday will be the first full week. As a busy mom of three (I also work a part time job), I try to prep my meals or at least meat in advance for weekend or work days. Sometimes we will grab a quick salad at the store if we are doing a family trip. Sometimes it gets overwhelming
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    Friday Fitness .. had my doctor checkup yesterday and he gave me a script for physical therapy ... so once the insurance approves it I'll be starting up a PT program for my spine/pelvis issues that cause my legs to go numb when I stand. Last step efforts to keep from resorting to spine surgery. So ... that will be on my fitness radar for the upcoming months once it's all in place. In the meantime the doc had the usual recommendation for me ... eat less and be more active, don't sit so much. He was, however, very happy with the blood work numbers. Gave me a 4-month time frame before another checkup.

@anneshields001 ... I also drink hot water, as was mentioned by several others ... and now I remember that I also ate 1 ...just 1 ... almond; very slowly and deliberately, savoring it, concentrating on the texture of it went from firm nugget to pastiness before swallowing it. And all the while I 'meditated' on the taste and feel of that nut I would tell my stomach .... 'there, you have been fed, now calm down'. Silly sounding, I know. But it worked as long as I took my time with the nut instead of mindlessly tossing it in and chowing it down.

I'd be interested in how the PT works out for you--my legs go numb whenever I walk for more than 30 minutes. I've had it for years but was always told I just needed to lose weight but now that I've lost more than half my excess weight, I still get the numb legs after 30 minutes of walking--legs still work fine but they are just numb to the touch. So, it has me thinking something is pinched in there somewhere.

Savoring an almond---LOL--yep, I do that too! and it's certainly worthwhile too compared to just "gulping" down handfuls which is what I use to do with them. Now I find "mindfully" eating them much more enjoyable!
  • jam5660
    Options
    Fall challange... way to go team!! Great first week! And thank you @bapcarrier for keeping up with all our mess and for the encouragement!!
  • jam5660
    Options
    @tdunnegan Way to go for getting back to the gym! Just returned myself this week after not going for most of the summer, and I'm feeling so much better!

Welcome @LadySanguin

@Nikion901 and @BarneyRubbleMD my hubby has had low back problems for about 2 yrs and has been seeing a chiropractor on and off when it flares up. Well in the last few months he has had less back pain but now half his left thigh is numb, and sometimes it burn and itches. He's supposed to get an appt with his MD to get an MRI, because somethings not right. Good luck with the PT, Niki. I used to work for one and have watch many wheel themselvs in and after 6 weeks leave walking.
  • birgitkwood
    birgitkwood Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Wow, we're off to a great start this challenge. Thanks, Barb, for pulling those stats together.
  • bapcarrier
    bapcarrier Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    @happygirlxxx just wanted to give you a big THANK YOU for sending me the spreadsheet for the challenge. Having it already set up made my life so much easier. I had a few things that didn't compute correctly but I finally figured out the formula had to be adjusted for the correct line spread as I had entered more people, reentered the formula and voila all was good! :) Still took me a couple of hours or more to get it all recorded, good thing Friday is one of my days off. :)
  • RobinB0812
    RobinB0812 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    @Nikion901 - like a few others have mentioned, I use the mobile app for logging (love the barcode scan feature!) and prefer to use a desktop/laptop for posts. Double edge sword for me. I don't have a desktop/laptop at home so that leaves me with only being able to post while at work or struggling with posting from my Android smartphone. :s Sometimes I am nervous about being online for personal purposes while at work.

To all the others that are finding their way back to exercising, be it an outside gym or equipment at home - you are expiring me! I, too, have lower back problems (2 herniating discs) so sometimes exercising can be difficult and painful. @cellosmiles - LOVE the idea of Facebook marketplace for possible home equipment. I am going to check that out!

@MermaidPrincessRach - I can relate to your missing the personal posts from everyone. So many times I come here looking for motivation or support and all I see are challenge posts. I do love the challenges though and will continue with them, even if I am doing a challenge all by myself. :) I can't complain too much about the lack of interacting posts as I am not contributing as I should either. I will try to do better! :)

Happy weekend everyone!

Until next time; wishing everyone Peace B) , Love <3 and Weight Loss :smiley: !!
  • karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    GorillaNJ wrote: »
    Wow... it is amazing to still see this thread running... I was very active in it 7 years ago when I first started here on MFP and it really did help me keep my focus and lose a lot of weight... most of which has decided to return, but I am fighting it back off again!

Hello! I remember you from back when... I too am in the same boat of having to lose again. Can't seem to find my motivation this time.

Friday fitness? Nope. Can't seem to get going. Working on what goes in my mouth today. Drinking lots of water cause I am hungry !! But I made it though ONE day!! Just worrying about today right now
    Not sure if the weight I posted for the challenge is real. My scale only goes to a certain amount and after that it says 'Err' so I just guessed. We will see when I actually fit in the scale again.
    Karen
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    @GorillaNJ - @RobinsEgg did a great thing when she created this thread, and I know I'm not alone in missing her. I saw that she's been on and off MFP occasionally, I just hope her health has improved some and she is doing well.
    Friday Fitness - I haven't been able to get back to the Cardiac Phys Therapy I was doing since the last time I was in the hospital. The intention has been there but not the will or the time. I know I've lost a lot of the stamina I had built up previously. I'm just going to have to suck it up and start SOMEWHERE. I am considering buying the HALTI dog halter some of you recommended so that I can start taking my dog for a walk again without worrying about being pulled off my feet. I'm also going to take my own advise and try the chair exercises I've seen on You Tube. I know I have to start, now I just need to DO IT.
    @karenleona - thanks for your encouraging words - and yes, we all need those now and then, even if things appear to be going well. That's why I love this thread so much. The challenges are great, and really important to me, but knowing that I have someplace to go to blow off steam and get encouragement or a kick in the butt is the reason I keep coming back.

Tracy
    TX