Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    European Goulash:
    743040-420x280-fix-gulasch-nach-oma-magda.jpg

Texan Chili (?):
    20111108-beef-texas-chili-con-carne-08.jpg

the base spice in gulasch is paprika, made from larger, sweeter types of chilis

the base spice in "chili" is chili pepper, of the smaller, hotter types like birdseye and cayenne
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    jdlobb wrote: »
    yes. Powered chili should be pure chili pepper, dried and ground. "Chili powder" should specifically be a powder for use in the prepared dish, "chili."

and the oregano in it has to be Mexican oregano (sometimes called "wild marjoram"). Mediterranean oregano does not work with the chilis and cumin the same way.

Here we have oregano and marjoram. It is not called wild though. Would it be what you call wild?

Nope. Marjoram and Oregano are kissing cousins and are both members of the mint family. Mexican oregano (wild marjoram) is a completely different species unrelated to the mints. The botanical name is Lippia graveolens and it is actually related to verbena.

I looked and I can get it on Amazon! I see chili in my future, once again, for research purposes.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I did not know people felt so passionately about beans in chili (or lack thereof). But whatever your preference at no point can you call it a stew. Or soup. WTF is that about!? And serving it with spaghetti? You over the ponders are a weird lot.

As a Brit who experiences no regional variations of chili beyond are you fancy and put a bit of dark chocolate in and puts beans in if I have them and considers chili to be about the flavour more than anything (so I'm also cool with vegi varieties) I find this whole conversation entertaining. We probably break all kinds of rules though as it's most often served with rice here. Or loaded nachos.

I am partial to a chili cheese dog when on your fine shores though.

You just need to come back to the U.S. and go on a Chili Trail Pilgrimage. Or, better yet, a BBQ Trail Pilgrimage, if you want to see a real smackdown.

For the record, although I happily eat any and all chili and BBQ, I favor a Virginia vinegar sauce over ribs or pulled pork (brisket is way down the list) and I will kick anyone's butt in a chili cook-off with my white chicken chili. The secret ingredient? Evil.

I am so on board with a BBQ Trail Pilgrimage.

One of these years, I am going to drive down Highway 61 from St. Louis to New Orleans, and I am going to eat all of the BBQ and listen to all the Delta Blues.

We need to get all the Midwesterners together for a road trip.

Okay, but we all have to meet in St. Louis, not Minnesota. Delta Blues > Dylan.

Also, one of the stops has to be Lambert's Throwed Rolls Cafe in Sikeston, MO. It's not BBQ, but the local baseball team boys throw rolls at your head and expect you to catch them.

How about Dubuque? Right on the corner of 3 midwestern states (Iowa, Illinois, and Wisconsin) and we can float down the river.
  • jdlobb
    edited September 2017
    it's worth noting, that really small variations do result in different dishes.

Texas Chili and Goulash are really similar, but even if the ONLY difference between two recipes is the use of cayenne in one and paprika in the other, they will result in noticeably different dishes.

food is awesome
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    I bet a lot of recipes get flattened out/changed due to five year olds in the eating demographic.
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    I did not know people felt so passionately about beans in chili (or lack thereof). But whatever your preference at no point can you call it a stew. Or soup. WTF is that about!? And serving it with spaghetti? You over the ponders are a weird lot.

As a Brit who experiences no regional variations of chili beyond are you fancy and put a bit of dark chocolate in and puts beans in if I have them and considers chili to be about the flavour more than anything (so I'm also cool with vegi varieties) I find this whole conversation entertaining. We probably break all kinds of rules though as it's most often served with rice here. Or loaded nachos.

You just need to come back to the U.S. and go on a Chili Trail Pilgrimage. Or, better yet, a BBQ Trail Pilgrimage, if you want to see a real smackdown.

For the record, although I happily eat any and all chili and BBQ, I favor a Virginia vinegar sauce over ribs or pulled pork (brisket is way down the list) and I will kick anyone's butt in a chili cook-off with my white chicken chili. The secret ingredient? Evil.

One of these years, I am going to drive down Highway 61 from St. Louis to New Orleans, and I am going to eat all of the BBQ and listen to all the Delta Blues.

Also, one of the stops has to be Lambert's Throwed Rolls Cafe in Sikeston, MO. It's not BBQ, but the local baseball team boys throw rolls at your head and expect you to catch them.

How about Dubuque? Right on the corner of 3 midwestern states (Iowa, Illinois, and Wisconsin) and we can float down the river.

If you do this you will have to start with a Turkey and Dressing sandwich.
  • earlnabby

If you do this you will have to start with a Turkey and Dressing sandwich.

Sounds good to me and I will bring the cheese and beer for the starters.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member

Very familiar - Originally from St. Louis and most of our family is in the greater St. Louis metro area still.

There are some amazing local pit masters cooking in the empty lots around U City & Dog Town. They cook Kansas City style which is just fantastic with the sorghum molasses base sauce you get around Southern IL & MO.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Speziface wrote: »
    Texas Chili competitions, the only ones that matter, will disqualify you for putting beans in a stew and calling it chili.

I really don't care what the yankees up in Ohio do with their stews.

IT'S NOT STEW! Ground beef does not a stew make.
    We have a restaurant locally called "Real Chili" and you can get your chili either over noodles (macaroni, not spaghetti), potatoes, or neither. Greasy spoon and a great place to stop after bar time.

Again, noodles are not pasta, noodles are Asian, pasta is Italian and chili shouldn't be served with either. I'll let the potatoes pass.

I'm not a chili expert, but isn't chili just bolognese with different spices?

More heat, no milk, plus beans and peppers.

Bolognese has milk? :hushed:
    You learn new things every day.
    I'm no expert with meat things.

Milk or (usually) cream to enhance the richness.

But you could add some to chili for the same reason. It would also mellow the heat a little bit.

No you are just talking crazy!

Chemically it's pretty much the same thing as putting cheese in the chili. Taste-wise it's something else. Personally I prefer to add a tablespoon or two of cocoa powder, skip the cheese, and crumble in cornbread.

I don't dislike cheese on chili but I don't put it in there. And always as a garnish only, sprinkled on top of a bowl of chili. Never in the pot.

Chili also varies from bolognese in that it doesn't have to include ground beef and may include other types of meat besides beef.

I've made bolognese with ground lamb, ground turkey, ground chicken, and sky bison, although the birds taste a bit different.

I've made chili with lamb, bison, pork, elk, and turkey. The turkey chili always seems like its missing a little something; I think the other meats just add some gaminess (and definitely some fat) that turkey can't.

But is it truly bolognese without beef? I mean people make pizza without dough but technically it's not pizza.

I think the only thing really required in chili is, well, chilis.

Chilis and cumin. Chili powder is nothing more than ground ancho chili, cumin, Mexican oregano, and garlic. Other ingredients can be included, but this is the basic.

Interesting. So when we dry chilis from our garden and grind them, that's not chili powder because we didn't add cumin?

Yup, that is ground chili pepper, not chili powder.

It's powdered chilis but not chili powder. I'm still calling it chili powder. Google says I can.

You missed the edit. Google is NOT the best source for this information. The food industry, especially the spice merchants, make a distinction.

If I grind my dried chilis into a powder I'm still calling it chili powder.

I think the confusion is in the very similar spelling of two different things...if you are growing chiles, you grind them into a chile powder. But a chili powder is specifically for chili (or related dish), of course one key ingredient of chili powder is chile powder.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    Texas Chili competitions, the only ones that matter, will disqualify you for putting beans in a stew and calling it chili.

We have a restaurant locally called "Real Chili" and you can get your chili either over noodles (macaroni, not spaghetti), potatoes, or neither. Greasy spoon and a great place to stop after bar time.

Again, noodles are not pasta, noodles are Asian, pasta is Italian and chili shouldn't be served with either. I'll let the potatoes pass.

Around here, "noodles" is an all-encompassing term and includes Asian noodles, pasta, egg noodles, Spaetzle, etc.

And was the cause of much confusion in my adolescent mind when watching US TV shows (mostly Friends TBH) when lasagne is being made but noodles being references. SO confused.

I grew up in a small town with heavy German/Northern European influence so "noodles" usually meant wide egg noodles. As my horizons expanded, so did the things that were included as noodles. We made lasagna with lasagna noodles that were pasta. We made macaroni and cheese with noodles that were pasta. Many made schnitzel with a side of noodles that were Spaetzel.

That seems very convoluted. Macaroni/lasagne sheets etc would be types/shapes of pasta. Now you're all throwing extraneous words into the mix.

It's interesting that moving beyond a European grounding (where pasta is from) caused the calling of pasta to morph into noodles.

Yup, it is convoluted but we all know what we are talking about. Kind of like the areas where someone asks for a "coke" and needs to specify if it is a Coke, Sprite, Dr. Pepper, etc.

Might be the large number of Northern Europeans (German, Scandinavian, Polish, etc) who settled all over the area as opposed to southern Europe (Italy) who settled mostly in the one large city we have. As many say "all pasta is noodles, but not all noodles are pasta"

It's interesting how the same immigrant population cause different language variations. Obviously in the UK we have all kinds of Europeans living here. But that's not an evolution we have. Funny thing to me is how many fish 'n chip shops are owned by Italians though!

Weighing in as the son of Italian immigrants, it is all pasta by definition. The cut of pasta is the difference. While made the same, noodles are a northern European thing.
  • earlnabby
    edited September 2017

Texas Chili and Goulash are really similar, but even if the ONLY difference between two recipes is the use of cayenne in one and paprika in the other, they will result in noticeably different dishes.

food is awesome

Nope. Goulash is made from paprika and chili is made from anchos. Yes, botanically both are capsicum annum but hundreds of years of growing either in the soil of Hungary or the soil in Mexico has given them a completely different flavor profile. Technically, the ancho (or poblano if you prefer the fresh version) is the most authentic since chili peppers are a New World fruit.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    The chili recipe I always used didn't have ground chili in it. We have two different kinds of Paprika though, one is mild and the other spicy, so maybe the spicy Paprika is more or less the saem as your gorund chili.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member

But you could add some to chili for the same reason. It would also mellow the heat a little bit.

Chemically it's pretty much the same thing as putting cheese in the chili. Taste-wise it's something else. Personally I prefer to add a tablespoon or two of cocoa powder, skip the cheese, and crumble in cornbread.

I don't dislike cheese on chili but I don't put it in there. And always as a garnish only, sprinkled on top of a bowl of chili. Never in the pot.

Chili also varies from bolognese in that it doesn't have to include ground beef and may include other types of meat besides beef.

I've made bolognese with ground lamb, ground turkey, ground chicken, and sky bison, although the birds taste a bit different.

I've made chili with lamb, bison, pork, elk, and turkey. The turkey chili always seems like its missing a little something; I think the other meats just add some gaminess (and definitely some fat) that turkey can't.

But is it truly bolognese without beef? I mean people make pizza without dough but technically it's not pizza.

I agree. I personally like a 50/50 beef pork split.

Classic Bolognese is Beef, Pork and Veal in equal parts.
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    mmapags wrote: »

Around here, "noodles" is an all-encompassing term and includes Asian noodles, pasta, egg noodles, Spaetzle, etc.

And was the cause of much confusion in my adolescent mind when watching US TV shows (mostly Friends TBH) when lasagne is being made but noodles being references. SO confused.

I grew up in a small town with heavy German/Northern European influence so "noodles" usually meant wide egg noodles. As my horizons expanded, so did the things that were included as noodles. We made lasagna with lasagna noodles that were pasta. We made macaroni and cheese with noodles that were pasta. Many made schnitzel with a side of noodles that were Spaetzel.

That seems very convoluted. Macaroni/lasagne sheets etc would be types/shapes of pasta. Now you're all throwing extraneous words into the mix.

It's interesting that moving beyond a European grounding (where pasta is from) caused the calling of pasta to morph into noodles.

Yup, it is convoluted but we all know what we are talking about. Kind of like the areas where someone asks for a "coke" and needs to specify if it is a Coke, Sprite, Dr. Pepper, etc.

Might be the large number of Northern Europeans (German, Scandinavian, Polish, etc) who settled all over the area as opposed to southern Europe (Italy) who settled mostly in the one large city we have. As many say "all pasta is noodles, but not all noodles are pasta"

It's interesting how the same immigrant population cause different language variations. Obviously in the UK we have all kinds of Europeans living here. But that's not an evolution we have. Funny thing to me is how many fish 'n chip shops are owned by Italians though!

Weighing in as the son of Italian immigrants, it is all pasta by definition. The cut of pasta is the difference. While made the same, noodles are a northern European thing.

What's the difference between pasta and noodles, besides geography?
  • jdlobb

food is awesome

Nope. Goulash is made from paprika and chili is made from anchos. Yes, botanically both are capsicum annum but hundreds of years of growing either in the soil of Hungary or the soil in Mexico has given them a completely different flavor profile. Technically, the ancho (or poblano if you prefer the fresh version) is the most authentic since chili peppers are a New World fruit.

what's the nope for? Yeah, I bungled the base spice in texas chili. You're right, it's ancho, i brain farted. But that wasn't the point of the post.

Despite being closely related, just swapping that single ingredient results in 2 very different dishes. Chili or Goulash.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    mmapags wrote: »

Yes we call all pasta of all shapes pasta.

Noodles though I call Asian not northern European?
  • earlnabby
    edited September 2017
    The chili recipe I always used didn't have ground chili in it. We have two different kinds of Paprika though, one is mild and the other spicy, so maybe the spicy Paprika is more or less the saem as your gorund chili.

Different flavor profile. I have both paprika and a selection of ground chili pepper (ancho, cayenne, Aleppo, and chipotle) (as well as chili powder) and they don't taste the same
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

Chilis and cumin. Chili powder is nothing more than ground ancho chili, cumin, Mexican oregano, and garlic. Other ingredients can be included, but this is the basic.

Interesting. So when we dry chilis from our garden and grind them, that's not chili powder because we didn't add cumin?

Yup, that is ground chili pepper, not chili powder.

It's powdered chilis but not chili powder. I'm still calling it chili powder. Google says I can.

You missed the edit. Google is NOT the best source for this information. The food industry, especially the spice merchants, make a distinction.

If I grind my dried chilis into a powder I'm still calling it chili powder.

I think the confusion is in the very similar spelling of two different things...if you are growing chiles, you grind them into a chile powder. But a chili powder is specifically for chili (or related dish), of course one key ingredient of chili powder is chile powder.

I think you are wrong here. Look "chili" up in the dictionary. It's a hot pepper. Chile is just another spelling for chili.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member

I am skeptical of the quality of the Delta Blues in Dubuque, but can be persuaded. ;)

Actually to be purists we would probably have to start in Chicago, go down Route 66, and then to 61 into the Delta region.
This discussion has been closed.