Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    jdlobb wrote: »
    Texas Chili competitions, the only ones that matter, will disqualify you for putting beans in a stew and calling it chili.

I really don't care what the yankees up in Ohio do with their stews.

IT'S NOT STEW! Ground beef does not a stew make.
    We have a restaurant locally called "Real Chili" and you can get your chili either over noodles (macaroni, not spaghetti), potatoes, or neither. Greasy spoon and a great place to stop after bar time.

Again, noodles are not pasta, noodles are Asian, pasta is Italian and chili shouldn't be served with either. I'll let the potatoes pass.

Around here, "noodles" is an all-encompassing term and includes Asian noodles, pasta, egg noodles, Spaetzle, etc.

And was the cause of much confusion in my adolescent mind when watching US TV shows (mostly Friends TBH) when lasagne is being made but noodles being references. SO confused.

I grew up in a small town with heavy German/Northern European influence so "noodles" usually meant wide egg noodles. As my horizons expanded, so did the things that were included as noodles. We made lasagna with lasagna noodles that were pasta. We made macaroni and cheese with noodles that were pasta. Many made schnitzel with a side of noodles that were Spaetzel.

That seems very convoluted. Macaroni/lasagne sheets etc would be types/shapes of pasta. Now you're all throwing extraneous words into the mix.

It's interesting that moving beyond a European grounding (where pasta is from) caused the calling of pasta to morph into noodles.

It's very common where I am to hear people say "pasta noodles".
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Texas Chili competitions, the only ones that matter, will disqualify you for putting beans in a stew and calling it chili.

We have a restaurant locally called "Real Chili" and you can get your chili either over noodles (macaroni, not spaghetti), potatoes, or neither. Greasy spoon and a great place to stop after bar time.

Again, noodles are not pasta, noodles are Asian, pasta is Italian and chili shouldn't be served with either. I'll let the potatoes pass.

Around here, "noodles" is an all-encompassing term and includes Asian noodles, pasta, egg noodles, Spaetzle, etc.

And was the cause of much confusion in my adolescent mind when watching US TV shows (mostly Friends TBH) when lasagne is being made but noodles being references. SO confused.

I grew up in a small town with heavy German/Northern European influence so "noodles" usually meant wide egg noodles. As my horizons expanded, so did the things that were included as noodles. We made lasagna with lasagna noodles that were pasta. We made macaroni and cheese with noodles that were pasta. Many made schnitzel with a side of noodles that were Spaetzel.

That seems very convoluted. Macaroni/lasagne sheets etc would be types/shapes of pasta. Now you're all throwing extraneous words into the mix.

It's interesting that moving beyond a European grounding (where pasta is from) caused the calling of pasta to morph into noodles.

Yup, it is convoluted but we all know what we are talking about. Kind of like the areas where someone asks for a "coke" and needs to specify if it is a Coke, Sprite, Dr. Pepper, etc.

Might be the large number of Northern Europeans (German, Scandinavian, Polish, etc) who settled all over the area as opposed to southern Europe (Italy) who settled mostly in the one large city we have. As many say "all pasta is noodles, but not all noodles are pasta"
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Putting milk in chili might actually be illegal in Texas. If it's not, it should be.

I don't think they're talking about chili anymore with regards to milk. Lol
    But what about cheese? Does cheese count?

Melt some cheddar on tortilla chips and eat chips 'n chili the same as chips 'n salsa...yeah baby...
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Cheese is an acceptable TOPPING for chili. Not an ingredient.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Yup, it is convoluted but we all know what we are talking about. Kind of like the areas where someone asks for a "coke" and needs to specify if it is a Coke, Sprite, Dr. Pepper, etc.

Might be the large number of Northern Europeans (German, Scandinavian, Polish, etc) who settled all over the area as opposed to southern Europe (Italy) who settled mostly in the one large city we have. As many say "all pasta is noodles, but not all noodles are pasta"

It's interesting how the same immigrant population cause different language variations. Obviously in the UK we have all kinds of Europeans living here. But that's not an evolution we have. Funny thing to me is how many fish 'n chip shops are owned by Italians though!
  • Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Speziface wrote: »

I'm not a chili expert, but isn't chili just bolognese with different spices?

More heat, no milk, plus beans and peppers.

Bolognese has milk? :hushed:
    You learn new things every day.
    I'm no expert with meat things.

Milk or (usually) cream to enhance the richness.

But you could add some to chili for the same reason. It would also mellow the heat a little bit.

No you are just talking crazy!

Chemically it's pretty much the same thing as putting cheese in the chili. Taste-wise it's something else. Personally I prefer to add a tablespoon or two of cocoa powder, skip the cheese, and crumble in cornbread.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    this is relevant

Ron White on Chili in Cincinnati

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukCr6fG9pug

Ron White is THE MAN. If you've never seen him in person, add to your bucket list.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options

But you could add some to chili for the same reason. It would also mellow the heat a little bit.

Chemically it's pretty much the same thing as putting cheese in the chili. Taste-wise it's something else. Personally I prefer to add a tablespoon or two of cocoa powder, skip the cheese, and crumble in cornbread.

I don't dislike cheese on chili but I don't put it in there. And always as a garnish only, sprinkled on top of a bowl of chili. Never in the pot.

Chili also varies from bolognese in that it doesn't have to include ground beef and may include other types of meat besides beef.
  • Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options

I don't dislike cheese on chili but I don't put it in there. And always as a garnish only, sprinkled on top of a bowl of chili. Never in the pot.

Chili also varies from bolognese in that it doesn't have to include ground beef and may include other types of meat besides beef.

I've made bolognese with ground lamb, ground turkey, ground chicken, and sky bison, although the birds taste a bit different.

I've made chili with lamb, bison, pork, elk, and turkey. The turkey chili always seems like its missing a little something; I think the other meats just add some gaminess (and definitely some fat) that turkey can't.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options

I've made bolognese with ground lamb, ground turkey, ground chicken, and sky bison, although the birds taste a bit different.

I've made chili with lamb, bison, pork, elk, and turkey. The turkey chili always seems like its missing a little something; I think the other meats just add some gaminess (and definitely some fat) that turkey can't.

sky bison?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

But is it truly bolognese without beef? I mean people make pizza without dough but technically it's not pizza.

I think the only thing really required in chili is, well, chilis.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

But is it truly bolognese without beef? I mean people make pizza without dough but technically it's not pizza.

I agree. I personally like a 50/50 beef pork split.
  • Carlos_421
    Options

Side note: Southern Ohio is aptly named and largely populated by Kentucky transplants.
    I ain't no yankee.

Besides, you missed the point. Cincinnati style chili doesn't have beans.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Cheese is an acceptable TOPPING for chili. Not an ingredient.

How do you top chili with cheese and it not become an ingredient? That stuff's gotta get mixed in (in the bowl) and melt so that it strings off your spoon.
  • earlnabby
    Options

It's interesting how the same immigrant population cause different language variations. Obviously in the UK we have all kinds of Europeans living here. But that's not an evolution we have. Funny thing to me is how many fish 'n chip shops are owned by Italians though!

I wonder if it has something to do with the land the immigrants moved into and their proximity to the "homeland". You have to develop a new culture when you have no contact with those left behind, so you blend with your neighbors who are kind of like you but not exactly like you. We had our biggest population growth overall between 1840 and 1910. 1840-1880 were mostly the farmers, miners, and loggers but by the end of the 19th century the land was mostly bought up and later immigrants went to the cities. Those earlier immigrants were predominantly Northern European or Yankees (what we call people who had been living in the US for a couple of generations before moving to the territories). Later immigrants were more southern and eastern Europe.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I mostly think of chili as involving beans and ground meat, but there is also vegetarian chili, with no meat (but beans). I can accept the occasional beanless chili, though.

I only eat vegetarian chili, and it's not a stew. I like it over a baked potato.
  • earlnabby
    Options

Chilis and cumin. Chili powder is nothing more than ground ancho chili, cumin, Mexican oregano, and garlic. Other ingredients can be included, but this is the basic.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I mostly think of chili as involving beans and ground meat, but there is also vegetarian chili, with no meat (but beans). I can accept the occasional beanless chili, though.

I only eat vegetarian chili, and it's not a stew. I like it over a baked potato.

Yay! Another potato eater (although we used to eat it over smashed potatoes instead of baked)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Chilis and cumin. Chili powder is nothing more than ground ancho chili, cumin, Mexican oregano, and garlic. Other ingredients can be included, but this is the basic.

Interesting. So when we dry chilis from our garden and grind them, that's not chili powder because we didn't add cumin?
This discussion has been closed.