Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    jdlobb wrote: »
    Texas Chili competitions, the only ones that matter, will disqualify you for putting beans in a stew and calling it chili.

I really don't care what the yankees up in Ohio do with their stews.

IT'S NOT STEW! Ground beef does not a stew make.
    earlnabby wrote: »
    We have a restaurant locally called "Real Chili" and you can get your chili either over noodles (macaroni, not spaghetti), potatoes, or neither. Greasy spoon and a great place to stop after bar time.

Again, noodles are not pasta, noodles are Asian, pasta is Italian and chili shouldn't be served with either. I'll let the potatoes pass.

This is all correct.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Texas Chili competitions, the only ones that matter, will disqualify you for putting beans in a stew and calling it chili.

We have a restaurant locally called "Real Chili" and you can get your chili either over noodles (macaroni, not spaghetti), potatoes, or neither. Greasy spoon and a great place to stop after bar time.

Again, noodles are not pasta, noodles are Asian, pasta is Italian and chili shouldn't be served with either. I'll let the potatoes pass.

Around here, "noodles" is an all-encompassing term and includes Asian noodles, pasta, egg noodles, Spaetzle, etc.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Hmm... I never thought to distinguish between noodles and pasta. From a culinary perspective, what's the difference? I could Google it, but eh, I'm feeling lazy.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

I'm not a chili expert, but isn't chili just bolognese with different spices?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Ruatine wrote: »
    Hmm... I never thought to distinguish between noodles and pasta. From a culinary perspective, what's the difference? I could Google it, but eh, I'm feeling lazy.

https://www.clearspring.co.uk/blogs/news/12237057-the-difference-between-noodles-pasta
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Ruatine wrote: »

https://www.clearspring.co.uk/blogs/news/12237057-the-difference-between-noodles-pasta

I always thought "noodle" just referred to the form, not the ingredients.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

Around here, "noodles" is an all-encompassing term and includes Asian noodles, pasta, egg noodles, Spaetzle, etc.

Same here.
  • Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Speziface wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Winter squash good (had my first of the season yesterday, delicata, although I have a pumpkin and a butternut ready to be prepared), pumpkin spice bad, other than in a pie on Thanksgiving. There's really nothing objectively bad about the mix of spices called pumpkin spice but that they are so overdone this time of the year, probably, so I admit to being curmudgeonly.

Bringing us back round to Thanksgiving and in particular my vested interested in the Canadian one, my best friend is indeed resuming her hosting of a big feed and it shall be happening in two weeks. I get to get my pumpkin pie on. I laughed when she asked me today if I could make it. Psychic.

IMO pumpkin pie is one of those things that must be made with fresh pumpkin rather than canned. It's a totally different taste.

I've tried fresh a couple of times, and found the results awful. Also more work. Not trying again.

I have to disagree; it's totally worth the trouble.

Get the pie/sugar pumpkins; they're about the size of a cantelope. Quarter them, remove the seeds, brush lightly with olive oil, and bake at 350 until soft. Let them cool completely then puree the meat (NOT the skins). Measure 15oz at a time into containers and freeze until ready to use. It'll keep about six months. (I did my T-day pumpkin prep last weekend. B) )

That's what I did, except the freezing. I even grew the bleepin' pie pumpkin.

I encourage others to try it. It was fun. I hope they'll succeed, and be delighted. But my pie was Not Good, so I personally will not do it again. Ever.

I reported my sad, sad story in case someone else has similar results, so that they need not feel lonely and pathetic . . . maybe just pathetic.

I'd happily eat a slice of your delicious, delicious pie, though. ;)

I don't have a fancy recipe; I just substitute in my pumpkin for the canned stuff in the traditional Libby's recipe. And I use Marie Calender's frozen pie crusts. It's pretty simple, and the fresh pumpkin makes a huge difference.
  • Need2Exerc1se

More heat, no milk, plus beans and peppers.
  • VintageFeline

And was the cause of much confusion in my adolescent mind when watching US TV shows (mostly Friends TBH) when lasagne is being made but noodles being references. SO confused.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    I did not know people felt so passionately about beans in chili (or lack thereof). But whatever your preference at no point can you call it a stew. Or soup. WTF is that about!? And serving it with spaghetti? You over the ponders are a weird lot.

As a Brit who experiences no regional variations of chili beyond are you fancy and put a bit of dark chocolate in and puts beans in if I have them and considers chili to be about the flavour more than anything (so I'm also cool with vegi varieties) I find this whole conversation entertaining. We probably break all kinds of rules though as it's most often served with rice here. Or loaded nachos.

I am partial to a chili cheese dog when on your fine shores though.

You just need to come back to the U.S. and go on a Chili Trail Pilgrimage. Or, better yet, a BBQ Trail Pilgrimage, if you want to see a real smackdown.

For the record, although I happily eat any and all chili and BBQ, I favor a Virginia vinegar sauce over ribs or pulled pork (brisket is way down the list) and I will kick anyone's butt in a chili cook-off with my white chicken chili. The secret ingredient? Evil.

I am so on board with a BBQ Trail Pilgrimage.

One of these years, I am going to drive down Highway 61 from St. Louis to New Orleans, and I am going to eat all of the BBQ and listen to all the Delta Blues.
  • amusedmonkey

Bolognese has milk? :hushed:
    You learn new things every day.
    I'm no expert with meat things.
  • VintageFeline

Wait milk? Where is the milk? Milk in ragu? No no no no no no no no. No.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member

And was the cause of much confusion in my adolescent mind when watching US TV shows (mostly Friends TBH) when lasagne is being made but noodles being references. SO confused.

I grew up in a small town with heavy German/Northern European influence so "noodles" usually meant wide egg noodles. As my horizons expanded, so did the things that were included as noodles. We made lasagna with lasagna noodles that were pasta. We made macaroni and cheese with noodles that were pasta. Many made schnitzel with a side of noodles that were Spaetzel.
  • Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member

Milk or (usually) cream to enhance the richness.

But you could add some to chili for the same reason. It would also mellow the heat a little bit.
  • VintageFeline

I grew up in a small town with heavy German/Northern European influence so "noodles" usually meant wide egg noodles. As my horizons expanded, so did the things that were included as noodles. We made lasagna with lasagna noodles that were pasta. We made macaroni and cheese with noodles that were pasta. Many made schnitzel with a side of noodles that were Spaetzel.

That seems very convoluted. Macaroni/lasagne sheets etc would be types/shapes of pasta. Now you're all throwing extraneous words into the mix.

It's interesting that moving beyond a European grounding (where pasta is from) caused the calling of pasta to morph into noodles.
  • amusedmonkey

But you could add some to chili for the same reason. It would also mellow the heat a little bit.

That's fascinating. I don't do meat, but I'm sure I know a number of people who would appreciate this tip.
  • Need2Exerc1se

No you are just talking crazy!
This discussion has been closed.