Ketogenic diet

Options

Replies

• jean3540
    jean3540 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes. I adopted that way of eating, not to lose weight but to try & bring my blood sugar numbers under control. Have type2 diabetes. That has worked for me. Blood sugars now in normal range & lost weight was a nice bonus.
  • derry1
    derry1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Meant to say "Cut out all processed foods and carbs which are high in sugar
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    derry1 wrote: »

Processed foods also are high in fats.... like muffins, cake, etc....

Agreed. It is the combo of high sugar (carbs) and high fat in processed food that can make processed food a major cause of premature death world wide.

When I cut out added sugar and all forms of all grains Oct 2014 at the age of 63 that my weight without trying to cut calories dropped and maintained over the past three years.

I have eaten about a pound of black grapes this morning that showed up over night but they are not processed food.

You can have both and still be healthy. Its easier to control calories when you don't eat a lot of ultra processed foods.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    derry1 wrote: »

Processed foods also are high in fats.... like muffins, cake, etc....

Agreed. It is the combo of high sugar (carbs) and high fat in processed food that can make processed food a major cause of premature death world wide.

When I cut out added sugar and all forms of all grains Oct 2014 at the age of 63 that my weight without trying to cut calories dropped and maintained over the past three years.

I have eaten about a pound of black grapes this morning that showed up over night but they are not processed food.

But according to your own comments you also eat lots of processed foods.

You just choose processed foods with fat and not carbs.
  • valkongr
    valkongr Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Tried it for 3 months. Possibly the worst 3 months of my life. Social life is ruined and everyday I wanted it to end this nightmare.
  • cowpacino
    cowpacino Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first experiment with keto (also intermittent fasting and/or OMAD), I'm at day 81, and I've lost about 40 lbs. I've never had much of a problem with sweets except for soda pop, so keto isn't too far away from my normal diet in the first place. I can't argue with the results, and any sweet that I crave can be satisfied with a diet soda or some diabetic candy. If you've got a sweet tooth, I think keto would be much harder to follow.