Pros and cons of a Keto Diet

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    wolfruhn wrote: »
    Shame about all the people who continue to argue against Keto, while millions more people across the globe continue to be trapped and become part of the obesity epidemic. Arguing that just go ahead and eat whatever you like as long as you stay within calories.

The modern 'fad' for carb centric diets started after WW2 but it clearly hasn't worked, as evidenced by looking around while at the mall.

It's about time people started waking up and getting back to the position of Ketosis being absolutely okay and a natural experience that many people went into and out of regularly over hundreds of thousands of years of man's evolution.

Explain the blue zones..

No one ever does.
  • ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    For me personally:

Con: anaerobic exercise took a heavy dive and I couldn't lift to save my life

Pro: my endurance running mileage went up
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    GlassAngyl wrote: »
    GlassAngyl wrote: »
    wolfruhn wrote: »
    Shame about all the people who continue to argue against Keto, while millions more people across the globe continue to be trapped and become part of the obesity epidemic. Arguing that just go ahead and eat whatever you like as long as you stay within calories.

The modern 'fad' for carb centric diets started after WW2 but it clearly hasn't worked, as evidenced by looking around while at the mall.

It's about time people started waking up and getting back to the position of Ketosis being absolutely okay and a natural experience that many people went into and out of regularly over hundreds of thousands of years of man's evolution.

You say it so much nicer than I do.. :lol:
    Course I envy those who can carb and lose weight.. but I agree.. it APPARENTLY isn't the easiest way or more obese people wouldn't struggle and give up and restart over and over and over and.. well you get the idea. The only complaint from anti ketoers is from those who continued to over eat on it trying to hit macros .. not sure how that's possible but I think they are saying "do it for me so I don't have to do any work".. and from those who agreed it worked but didn't feel it was varied enough in choices because they listened to the psycho keto cults that restricted everything and didn't tell them about keto breads and noodles and deserts (or they are just lazy and if it isn't prepackaged it's not an option..) Now their minds are permanently poisoned to the idea.

I hate you're doing it wrong posts - no one ever appreciates them and they're usually not true. Some people don't respond well to keto, some people don't like the food, some people experience no tangible benefits, some people don't lose weight, some people do overeat - it doesn't work for them - and that's ok, it doesn't have to.

That it works for you is enough, right?

Exactly what I've been saying literally this ENTIRE TIME! But no.. let's pick and choose what they want to see..

1: "Keto (blurrs out important part) everyone.
    2: It worked for me because (blah blah blah I don't want to hear this!)
    3:But like I said, if I could do regular cico. I (she hates cico and thinks it's the wrong way! I hate her!)
    4: Don't let others discourage you. There is more than one way to do keto. (OMG she just promoted keto!)
    5: You may find you don't like it and prefer low carb instead. (Ugh! I hate keto promoters!)
    6 and 7: But until you try for yourself, you won't know for sure if it's for you. Some do better on a higher (I refuse to listen to this crap!) diet. (All she did was promote her way of eating!)

So.. let's try this again but fill in the missed blanks. 1:(Isn't for) 2:(Pro's of why it helped me) 3:(Cons of why it may not work for you) 4:(They won't know unless they try for themselves so why bash it?? Unless you are promoting YOUR WOE!) 5:(Maybe they don't want high carbs and only know of two ways.. here is a chance to show them that there are variations to choose from.) 6:(carbs.. yeah.. I promoted something that didn't work for me. Hmmm. That it may or may not work for them is enough, right?) 7:(And back at square one as everything anti-ketoers are against is blanked out as they ignore the part where I promote ALL methods just so long as they TRY it without being biased by others.)

And just so we are clear.. vegetarians and vegans get attacked less than those who want to try keto or low carb. And some of them are keto as well! It isn't easy for vegans though.. Yet, if a VEGAN can attempt to eat high fat and low carb on their TRULY RESTRICTIVE diet, why can't a curious newbie try it for themselves before being attacked and scared away because others found it too hard for them? That's why they add friends who are like minded.. To seek advice when they are confused.

I agree with you 100% - you've nailed the experience most have with the general forums and it's why so few who eat low carb post here. All of the what-about-mah-vegtables, it's not sustainable, your breath, your kidneys, you can't cut out a whole food group, everything in moderation and the number the of woo's on posts for anyone who takes the time to share their positive experience with the diet is wrong. And it's absolutely shameful the ignorant, anti low carb bias is the loudest voice on the forums even when it's recommended by a posters doctor.

I hate all of that but the reverse it true too - a ketogenic diet isn't right for everyone and they should be able to share that.

I only had 3 woo's on my post about my personal experiences with the diet. ;) LOL

The board is getting more accepting of LCHF over time. A couple of years ago a keto thread would get more of the woo science responses than there is now. People know more about it and can approach it from an educated position.

I think a common argument now is against sustainability, but I have not seen anything that shows LCHF is less sustainable than any other diet. Again, I think that comes down to a person's circumstances. I could never maintain moderation in all things but I'm a few years into LCHF and keto.

The other most common seems to be the need to point out that keto is not magic. I have no idea if that is as common in vegetarian, vegan, Mediterranean, SAD, paleo/primal, clean eating, or moderation threads since I do not look into those as much. I doubt it though.... Well, maybe in paleo threads. ;)
    aernest825 wrote: »
    I eat less vegetables now just because I eat less than I did before but a day that looks like this (fruit & vegetables in the morning, salad for lunch and roasted vegetables for dinner) isn't unusual and I imagine it is a lot of vegetables for most (low carb or not):
    j2xucaobh92n.jpg

Summary: 2.5 pounds or 14 servings of vegetables, 37 net carbs

Yes, but for ketosis, you are getting a LOT of carbs ; generally 20g max for those following keto

I agree with the previous poster. Ketogenic diets just has you in ketosis all the time. The carb level needed to maintain that can really vary. Many can do fine with 50g, athletes with timed carbs may go over 200g, inactive people with insulin resistance may need to stay under 20g, and some people find they feel best when their carbs are as close to zero as possible. There is a lot of variation.