Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

This decades “health woo”

Replies

• Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    edited October 2017
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    I think MLM scemes have been around for decades, they get a face lift every now and then but they will never go away

They have been but have festered and become an epidemic with the spread of social media.
  • byustrongman
    byustrongman Posts: 74 Member
    Chronic Lyme Disease
    Morgellon's
  • celiah909
    celiah909 Posts: 141 Member

What I have been noticing more lately is that people are not blaming weight gain on the right things. It's either too many carbs, some random disease, etc. I hate to be blunt, but it's because everyone eats TOO much. We as a society, put way too much importance on food. We celebrate with it, we gift it, restaurants serve WAY too much of it...we raise our kids to "clean their plates"...we value that "full" feeling.

I couldn’t agree more

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I think the protein obsession is getting out of hand.

That's because research is showing how important it is. The older you get, the more you need. Sarcopenia is no joke.

Now. Putting it in foods like breakfast cereals and having the label scream "PROTEIN!" when it's a lousy source of low quality protein? That's silly.

This is exactly what I am talking about. Also that I see post after post from 150 lb people asking how they can get 200g of protein in their diet.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    I think the protein obsession is getting out of hand.

That's because research is showing how important it is. The older you get, the more you need. Sarcopenia is no joke.

Now. Putting it in foods like breakfast cereals and having the label scream "PROTEIN!" when it's a lousy source of low quality protein? That's silly.

This is exactly what I am talking about. Also that I see post after post from 150 lb people asking how they can get 200g of protein in their diet.

"1 gram of protein per pound of body weight (2.2 g/kg of BW) per day has been a bodybuilding rule of thumb for decades. Higher levels of protein intake, usually in the range of 1.2 – 1.5 grams per pound of body weight (2.6 – 3.3 g/kg BW) per day, are commonly recommended when “cutting” to lose fat."

1.5 x 150 = 225g
    1.2 x 150 = 180g

I think 200g for a 150 pound individual who is lifting heavy and in the midst of a cut isn't unreasonable. It's probably more than they need, as it is sometimes unclear if that recommendation means total body weight or LBM. Personally, I've always just counted my total body weight, as it's simply easier to figure out. ;)