October 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the love @skippygirlsmom @bride001 @tomaattikastike @Orphia @cburke8909 @ariceroni @MobyCarp

@tomaattikastike I get what you're saying about the painkillers. I try not to depend on them or take them if I don't have to, but I put some in with my salt tabs just in case. I held off for 3 miles from the time I started feeling pretty bad to when I took them also knowing that it would take awhile for them to start working, but I'm glad I did otherwise I probably wouldn't have finished.

@JessicaMcB I loved reading the recap and your story of helping N! You did outstanding and sounds like you had a great experience despite the added 6k.

@7lenny7 Fantastic job on the HM! Sounds like a great race and I loved the pics!

@ariceroni Hope you start feeling better soon!

@PastorVincent Interesting dew point chart. I knew the dew point was high yesterday, but I just checked what the actual was and it was 65-67 the whole race. No wonder everybody was miserable.

@Orphia Way to go on completing another HM and especially without walking!

Fever is gone today. Originally, I was going to try to go to work today since a lot of times it helps the soreness to move around some but I got a horrible night of sleep and still felt sick this morning, so I decided to stay home. I've never really worn compression socks but I have a pair and decided to try them out while sleeping since I was having a lot of calf spasms and tightness. I think they definitely helped my calves but my hip is hurting a little more than I would like (part of the reason why I didn't sleep well as I move around a lot while I sleep), so I've been holding some ice on it.

I've been thinking how I'm going to proceed with my running/training the next few weeks. My next race is the NY Marathon 3 weeks from yesterday. I'm going to let my body guide my mileage this week, but even if I'm feeling great after the soreness goes away it will be short and slow runs. The end of the week and over next weekend I'll be very busy and out of town, so that will be a bit of forced recovery as I won't really have time to run. Hopefully by Monday I'll be okay to get in a longer run of 10-12 miles and another long run the last weekend before the marathon of 8-10 miles. I'm not sure about mileage during the week next week, but nothing too big. And of course the week before the marathon will be taper time again. I just need to remind myself that I've already done the training and now I just need to try to do what I can to fix the issues I had yesterday and most importantly get to the start line healthy.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @JessicaMcB Great Report - loved the finishing photo and the one where you were cheering the Lady who placed first. Inspiring - Honourable. Amazing for a first time ultra run.
    No run today - went home for lunch with a monster headache and lots of body aches indicating I was coming down with something. Crawled under a blanket in the dark - cool basement and had a nice long nap woke up a 3 and felt much better. Needless to say that means I never made it back to work in the afternoon. Spent the rest of the day under a blanket - cancelled all my plans. Not very often that I get crooked so when I do it usually kicks me pretty hard. Will see what tomorrow brings.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Interesting dew point chart. I knew the dew point was high yesterday, but I just checked what the actual was and it was 65-67 the whole race. No wonder everybody was miserable.

If you want the longer explanation: https://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/training-in-the-heat

Stumbled on that years ago, and so far, in my experience, it has proven correct.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    10/1-6.2 miles 1270 Feet Elevation
    10/2- REST
    10/3- 9
    10/4- 7
    10//5- 9
    10/6- 5
    10/7- 15
    10/8- 5- Felt like being lazy
    10/9- REST
    10/10- 5
    10/11- 5
    10/12- 5
    10/13- 5
    10/14- 8.1- 1476 Feet Elevation
    10/15- REST
    18/16- REST
    10/17- 4

Total Miles: 88.3
    Total Elevation: 2746

October goal: Survive 100k training taper and Wild Duluth 100k
    Nominal Mileage goal: 100 miles.
    Elevation goal: 15000ft

Today's notes: Taper week... ugh... Only 4 miles this morning. Since my plan called for a short but intense run this morning, I pushed average pace under 9:00 and pushed the last mile mile to 7:14, setting a new mile PR for me. With only 1-2 runs before race day, after today, I felt OK doing it, and am on track for a decently restful taper.

2017 Races Scheduled
    6/16- William A Irvin 5k
    6/17- Grandma's Marathon 4:24:06
    7/15- Eugene Curnow Trail Marathon 7:22:23
    8/12- UMTR FatAss "Not Quite" 50k DNF, too darn hot out
    8/19- Rampage at the Ridge 5k OCR
    9/23- Ely Marathon 6:24:36
    10/21 Wild Duluth 100k
    11/23- TBD 5k Turkey

2018 races (possible)
    4/13- Zumbro Endurance Race
    5/19- Superior Trail 25k
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Tried an easy workout on the elliptical this am. Feeling much better.

exercise.png
  • icemaker1
    icemaker1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    100 mile goal
    61.4 miles down
    Took a couple of days off over the weekend (had a wedding out of town), so my rate has slowed a little. As long as I remain consistent, I should be able to get in 100 miles before the family and I head for Mouse World at the end of this month/beginning of next month.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    A beautiful morning for a 4-mile "recovery" run.

56.8 miles of 100.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I need advice from swimmers. @Ohhim

I need a snorkel.

What the heck do I get? I imagined the kind we played in the pool with, but I see on swimoutlet.com, it's design is different. What should I look for?

Then I came across this mask with the snorkel, swordfish sport fuji. Kinda cool. Dry snorkels seem cool as long as I can get replacement parts, right?

My goal is for exercise, endurance, strength. I'm a good swimmer. I'd love to get serious (at some point) and do some sprint tri's.

Anyone?
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 no idea but would love to hear because one of goals is to do a sprint Tri so I am going to just follow this convo.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    seanevan10 wrote: »
    @Elise4270 no idea but would love to hear because one of goals is to do a sprint Tri so I am going to just follow this convo.

I'm giving up trying to learn how to breath and find my cadance. Figure if I do the snorkel, get stronger and find my groove I can try some workouts sans snorkel- one thing at a time. I'm also going to look at some hand paddles. I may be overdoing it with stuff.... I need direction. And a watch for laps.... I gotta see if I'm improving, right? :innocent:

The pool is calling me. I just gotta swim.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @Orphia - Looks like an amazing race! I love the photos and I love your recap. Way to embrace the suck and power through! On a side note, I am a big F1 fan too! We contemplated going to Austin this weekend, but with the Bourbon Chase last weekend, we decided against it. We have been to Austin twice and to Indianapolis (when they used to run there) several times. We are hoping to go to Montreal or maybe Monza in the near future.
  • dudasd1973
    dudasd1973 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 are there any diving shops around you? My advice from my snorkeling days would be way to out of date at this point since it's been 20ish years since I was an active snorkeler.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    dudasd1973 wrote: »
    @Elise4270 are there any diving shops around you? My advice from my snorkeling days would be way to out of date at this point since it's been 20ish years since I was an active snorkeler.

Thanks for your insight. I think the closest is an hour and a half away. I need a tri shop, if there's such a thing. Come to think of it, there may be a diving shop in town.. they scuba out at the local lake... my husband use to dive in his youth. I'll check into it. Thanks!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    icemaker1 wrote: »
    100 mile goal
    61.4 miles down
    Took a couple of days off over the weekend (had a wedding out of town), so my rate has slowed a little. As long as I remain consistent, I should be able to get in 100 miles before the family and I head for Mouse World at the end of this month/beginning of next month.

OK, I have to ask, @icemaker1.

What the heck is Mouse World???
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @seanevan10 I couldn't wait any longer on my swim purchases. d41l4hfmekq3.jpg

The hand paddles claim to help correct form. So I was up for trying it out.
    The snorkle is marketed for tri's. Ok, I'm down.
    And I bought new goggle's. Old ones are icky. I should probably figure out how to clean them.
    I bought swimy shampoo conditioner and body wash yesterday.
    I have flippers, a good swim suit.

Open pool, open.

Openopenopenopen..... :sweat_smile:
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Do folks here do a fair share of virtual races, or is the AIM one kind of a one-time special deal?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Do folks here do a fair share of virtual races, or is the AIM one kind of a one-time special deal?

It is the only one I have ever done in my life. :)