October 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat, catching up on threads this morning and was going to respond but see several others have by now as well. I'm sorry you're having to deal with that. I don't have any spectacular advice because I have similar issues and just avoid the situations. I can be in a crowd of complete strangers and be perfectly fine as long as I'm not expected to interact with them in any way but put me with a few people (even friends) that I have to interact with and I'm a miserable mess. Hugs to you and I hope you find a way to manage the anxiety better than just avoiding everything like I do!

@7lenny7, hilarious!

For those of you who mentioned the first mile(s) being hard, I'm glad to hear that. I've been wondering what the heck is wrong with me. I know that if I can get through the first couple of miles I'll be good.

So, I'm still benched with what I'm pretty sure is my piriformis. I've been continuing the stretches and was able to walk the past couple days without pain. My HM plan for next month is up in the air while I figure out if I'll be ok to run or not. Even if I participate, I'll probably have to walk/run and I was really hoping not to have to do that. :s
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    4 miles this morning. It's gotten a bit chilly here over the last couple of days which makes me very happy. Mid-40's is about the perfect running weather for me.

exercise.png

October race- Halloween Hunt 5 Miler 10/28
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat - I think maybe some posts hit home or we some just don't know what to say.
    I have never hyperventilated when running, but I have high anxiety anyway. (Taking meds) I have only just started running with a group and got left pretty quickly. Sometimes, I think that I am doing better and then I get with others and BAM! feel like I get knocked back to the bottom. We are all in different places, but like Elise said, You belong. "Your worth lies in the willingness to take on the challenge." You got this girl and we are here for you!
  • seanevan10
    Options
    @seanevan10, my long run just this week is 7 miles, so we're roughly the same place. I was just momentarily excited on my Hal Higdon plan that yesterday was "easy 3 mile run" and I got out there and I'm like WTF, this isn't easy at all!

Today's 4.5 however, was marvelous! My most consistent pace yet!

@fitoverfortymom so I had your day yesterday, early this morning. Suck fest!!! I got about 2 miles in and my shoe was untied. I stopped to retie and didn't have anything left in me. Walked the rest and even cut it short. Oh well. Glad you had a great consistent run today!
  • seanevan10
    Options
    @WandaVaughn no advice because I've never ran that far. Just wanted to say GOOD LUCK!!! You are doing great!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    10/1 – 6 miles
    10/2 – rest day
    10/3 – 8 miles
    10/4 - 5 miles
    10/5 - 10 miles
    10/6 - 5 miles
    10/7 - rest day
    10/8 - rest day
    10/9 - 6 miles
    10/10 - 7 miles
    10/11 – rest day
    10/12 – 6 miles
    10/13 - unscheduled rest day
    10/14 - college visit with Skip
    10/15 - 3.1 miles for AIM
    10/16 - 6 miles
    10/17 - rest day - meet day so technically I ran 4 miles ha ha
    10/18 - 7 miles

69 of 100 miles

exercise.png

I'll have to come back and read, great morning so a run 45F and just pretty out, very quiet morning for some reason.

Skip had a meet yesterday so I took a rest day, she had her best meet of the year finishing 8th with a time of 22:31, she was so upset, she went off course. Ugh! Probably cost her 20 seconds and definitely cost her 4th place. Funny thing is it was the SAME place we went off course on the pre run on Sunday so she knew it was wrong. I said didn't you see the course flags, she said nope I was too busy running. The off course also took her up a big hill. Oh well live and learn.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom I'm also following a Hal Higdon plan and some of my "easy" runs are not easy while others are easy and yet the pace seems good. Garmin has shown a huge pace improvement in the past week since I figured out the gall bladder issue; and last night was an "easy" run that not only felt easy, but was 0:17 / mile faster than "race pace" (goal race pace). Maybe my understanding is wrong, but I think the key to an "easy" run is how you feel rather than actual pace... so if it feels hard while you are running, you can go ahead slow down even if you already disapprove of your pace.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom I'm also following a Hal Higdon plan and some of my "easy" runs are not easy while others are easy and yet the pace seems good. Garmin has shown a huge pace improvement in the past week since I figured out the gall bladder issue; and last night was an "easy" run that not only felt easy, but was 0:17 / mile faster than "race pace" (goal race pace). Maybe my understanding is wrong, but I think the key to an "easy" run is how you feel rather than actual pace... so if it feels hard while you are running, you can go ahead slow down even if you already disapprove of your pace.

Yeah, having done a few of Hal's plans... I agree. "Easy" is by feel. Weather, how much sleep you got, stress, and many other things will impact actual pace.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Just a ramble. Work is slow...

I want a Garmin 935. LOL! Who doesn't right? I forgot my Garmin again today... Guess I can run home at lunch and get it for my after work ride.

I'm really excited to do a brick work out. @juliet3455 . Maybe next week, since my ankle is still tender and sore.

I like my 620 just fine. Be nice to have something for swimming though.... Bit pricey for a "want". Sure if I let go of the money, car, vet, doctor or the like will come up... pool is not even open yet.. like gear is gonna make these lazy bones awesome or less lazy. Haha!
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Thanks for the info on the foot pod @Elise4270 and @PastorVincent for the insights on how the Garmin works. I'm trying to find a used foot pod as it seems a little pricey for what I want. Though Garmin's indoor guesstimate ripped me off by over a minute per mile today, so I may have to get on that to keep my sanity.

@girlinahat I'm sorry you experienced that. As a very slow runner, I can relate to a lot of what you are saying. I hyperventilated while hiking one time as I was only about 1/4 of the way and I didn't think I could make it. There was no choice to go back as it was a popular, small path where you had to climb up (one way only; it was too dangerous to go down) and then take a gondola down; it was either continue to the top or call for a rescue. So many people were passing me and I was holding people up in the really narrow parts and it just got to be too much. Once the tears started flowing, I realized I was just panicking. This alone helped calm me. I have slight anxiety normally, but not to the point where I feel medication is necessary. It took me a couple of years to do that hike again, and it was just as awful the second time. But I knew what I was in for, paced myself better, and I didn't have a breakdown = success. Keep at it. We may be slower to respond to training, but if we keep at it, I believe we'll get better. Hugs.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent great way to earn that money to go to Hawaii ha ha
    @fitoverfortymom I have done a few virtual races, but I always check the amount of money going to the cause. I’ve look at races where there is like 5% of the money raised actually going to the charity/cause. If that is the case I’ll send my money directly to the cause.
    @girlinahat “yes, we all talked politics on Saturday night, US in particular. No, we weren't complimentary)” no one is complimentary here either.
    @7lenny7 that is the best ever
    Fantastic @weat0043
    @kgirlhart I had someone actually ask me if I had cancer after losing 70 lbs. Really? THAT was your first thought. I think it just takes time for people to adjust to your new slim self. Or they are petty and jealous, one or the other.
    @garygse I’d run for the Star Wars shirt for sure. I signed up for a local 5K and they are doing sweatshirts, I thought that was sweet.
    @ddmom0811 glad the surgery went well, I had to laugh at the urologists reply.
    @shrcpr sorry to hear you are still having pain
    @WandaVaughn you are so ready for the HH
  • Ericsmi
    Ericsmi Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 40 miles in 16 runs.
    2 OCT 2.59 mi
    5 OCT 2.82 mi 5.41 mi total
    7 OCT 3.2 mi 8.61 mi total
    9 OCT 2.84 mi 11.45 mi total
    11 OCT 3.21 mi 14.66 mi total
    14 OCT 2.83 mi 17.49 mi total
    17 OCT 4.24 mi 21.73 mi total
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    10/1 rest
    10/2 5.5miles 50m:22s
    10/3 5miles 45m:30s
    10/4 9miles 1h:24m:02s
    10/5 6miles 55:m:30s
    10/6 11miles 1h:45m:40s
    10/7 4miles 38m:39s
    10/8 rest
    10/9 6.56miles 61m:30s
    10/10 5miles 47m:01s
    10/11 7miles 1h:06m:10s
    10/12 4.42miles 48m:00s
    10/13 12miles 1h:53m:24s
    10/15 5miles 48m:31s
    10/16 rest
    10/17 5.8miles 55m:37s
    10/18 7miles 64m:13s
    10/19 9miles 1h:20m:51s

Great 9 mile run this morning. The weather was wonderful, cool and sunny. Not only did I feel pretty good, I ran it faster than my goal HM pace. I think I could have run another 4 miles in 40 minutes. My goal is 2 hours. I’ve run it 3 times and the best I’ve done is 2 hours and 4 minutes.

I’m feeling more confident that I’ll accomplish my highest mileage week yet! 21.8 miles run, 22 more miles left.

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    10/1 = 15 miles
    10/2 = 6.5 miles and strength training
    10/3 = rest day
    10/4 = 8 miles
    10/5 = 6.5 easy miles and strength training
    10/6 = kettlebell workout
    10/7 = 7 miles
    10/8 = 16 miles
    10/9 = 8 miles
    10/10 = Vinyasa yoga class & 5.5 mile hike
    10/11 = 8.5 miles
    10/12 = rest day (because of stupid work crap)
    10/13 = 7.5 miles and 30 minutes of weights at the gym
    10/14 = 5.5 miles
    10/15 = 17 rainy miles (run/walk intervals with the group)
    10/16 = 8 miles and 20 minutes of strength training
    10/17 = Vinyasa yoga class
    10/18 = 9 miles

It was an amazing 46 degrees this morning. What a difference the drop in temperature has made! For the first time in a long time, it didn't feel like I was struggle-running. My pace was 30 seconds faster a mile and it felt effortless. I kept thinking, "Oh yeah...This is why I love running!". :)

I hope everyone's running/races have been going well. I am so far behind the discussion. I have no hope of catching up at this point.

127.5/175 (September goal miles)

Upcoming Races:
    10/28 = Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    11/23 = Georgetown Turkey Trot
    12/10 = BCS Marathon
    1/6/18 = River Road Run Half Marathon
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @PastorVincent & everyone else talking about measurement... The best is in Canada when you measure everything in a "mixture" ... Oh you're building a house...let's use Imperial but a Commercial Building we'll use Metric. Let's weigh everything but ourselves using grams/kilograms and then have to convert it because half the population still goes by Pounds... Did you need a gallon of paint or a 5L pail... -_- sorry I'm a little late to the conversation just thought I'd add my two cents.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 I love the colors reflected in the water! So pretty
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    12/10 3.21 miles
    17/10 3.31 miles
    18/10 3.79 miles

exercise.png