October 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    seanevan10 wrote: »
    @JessicaMcB Thanks. Your morale support has been invaluable to me, I greatly appreciate it. Found out today that a guy I know will be helping tun the AS at the turn around, so that'll be cool. With a friend crewing and another teacher pacing me the last 20, I'm looking at great support. Just have to not get struck by lightening and it will be a good day!

@MNLittleFinn I'll be cheering for you and thinking about you during my measly 5k tomorrow morning in the rain. LOL. I hope not only do you crush your goals, you have a great time doing it. You and @jessicamcb and so many others are awesome inspirations to us slow turtle "runners". Thanks for being here to inspire and share in your goals!

Thanks. And running a 5k is still an awesome thing. I'm a slow runner, I'm also a glutton for punishment, so going for an ultra suits me. Good luck with the 5k and have fun!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    OKAY, Garmin fans... pretend I have one, like the 735 or 935.... Do they have audio prompts like "Current pace is 9:58, Average Pace is 9:32, avg HR is 143" ? That is what my Apple Watch+RunKeeper does. I depend on that cause I suck at self-pacing.

If it does, will it pipe that out via the phone so I can use my BT headset?

I have the FR 235. It pipes out your pace and other info (configurable) through your phone, so through the app. If I create a workout and specify a pace the watch buzzes when you are going too slow or too fast. It’s kind of annoying because I am bad at pacing so it’s constantly buzzing - I kinda think the programmed workouts burn through the battery faster too - all that buzzing, but I have no proof that it’s true.

The price point on the 235 sold me as well as being waterproof and longer battery life (compared to Fitbit). I live near the ocean, elevation gains are useless around here - it’s extremely flat!
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I have the Fenix 5 and it is my first Garmin watch so I can't compare to older models but it only vibrates during my run (the beep can be turned off) and the too fast/too slow buzzes are slightly different so I don't even have to look at my wrist. I really love the thing although I know someone who works at Garmin and I wouldn't pay full price for the thing. Really fun watch though.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @girlinahat not wanting to manage other peoples' expectations is exactly why I refuse to do relay/Ragnar events. I'm on the faster end for women and especially in a female team I would be stressed the *kitten* out on how much of the time would depend on me and my time being A1. Team lone wolf isn't a bad one to be a part of, I do alright :)

[/b]

@JessicaMcB @girlinahat Team Lone Wolf for the win. I make so many excuses for not joining up with workmates for a lunchtime run, or joining a running group because I hate the thought of letting people down. The daft thing is, I'm actually not that bad a runner for my age-group, but I have too much self-doubt and know I would hate every minute of the run.

Love races though because even though there are plenty of people, I'm in a team of one. Still not got the confidence to move nearer to the start line which means I spend the first few minutes dodging the dog-walkers and stroller-pushers.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    kevaasen wrote: »
    kevaasen wrote: »
    @kevaasen AH!

So the problem then becomes if the watch speaks out load, and I have my phone blasting my audiobook via my BT headphones, I will not hear it! heh. Unless Garmin has an iPhone app that will pipe those prompts out the heaphones?

I only hear the garmin audio via my BT headphones. If you didn't have headphones, then I think it just beeps/buzzes.

But are the headphones connected to the watch, or the phone?

Phone is connected via BT to
    - Headphones
    - Garmin

and my Garmin then connects via BT to my footpod.

Net - I don't believe Garmin is like an apple watch or a devise that you could listen to music, podcasts, etc. So if not having a phone was a goal and you want to listen to music a Garmin would not be your first choice. I believe you can adjust music volume on your watch if you don't want to dig for your phone, etc (but so can most headphones)

Oh, no. I will have the phone with me. None of the devices let me listen to audio books. I just want the audio prompts from the watch to go to the same headphones that are BT connected to the phone. If that works then I am set.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Off to Pittsburgh to visit Mom for the weekend and probably won't check in until Monday. Just wanted to say good luck to @MNLittleFinn on the big race this weekend. I know you will do great!

@RunTimer - That's an awesome photo!!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    Good luck tomorrow @MNLittleFinn , @midwestern85 and @seanevan10 and anyone else racing that I may have missed.

Congrats on the weightloss @fitover40mom! That's awesome!

• PastorVincent
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn @kevaasen @Azercord @zdyb23456 @Elise4270 and anyone else I missed - thanks for the thoughts, I am pretty much convinced to get the 935 now.
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom, congratulations on the loss! That's an awesome accomplishment.

@RunTimer, great photo and glad to hear the air quality is getting better. I'm in San Jose and will be up in the city beginning of November for a few days and love to run the Embarcedero when I'm there. Especially before/after a long day of meetings.

Went for a run this morning - around 3.5+ miles - and felt some soreness from all the stretching I've been doing but no real pain so hoping that's a good sign. Will run again on Sunday and see how a longer run feels. I'm optimistic that all this stretching will get me back in the game.

Looking forward to reading about all the races this weekend!
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Oct. 20 - 3.9km
    MTD - 64.3km/100km
    Distance starting to suffer due to the fact it gets dark so early and I'd rather not run in the dark
  • icemaker1
    icemaker1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    100 mile goal
    73.4 miles down / 26.6 miles to go
    Congrats on everyone's progress!
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. Even with a headlamp, I get a little spooked. In fact, sometimes the headlamp spooks me more and I have to remember that the strange moving light is coming from me.

I end up spooking myself out because we have bears and other critters even within town some times still so every little noise makes me nervous. I guess it'll be the elliptical for me soon
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Today was my usual walk 1 mile, run 2, walk 1 more, except I did a few small hills. I feel kinda stuck bc I don't have much time and it takes an hour to do 4 miles with the walking. I actually ran a little faster today but overall time was slow bc I stopped to stretch and blow my nose vs taking walk breaks. Pretty good run though besides post nasal drip. I'll try to run 3 tomorrow again. I need to work towards more 3 miles instead of 2.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    10/1 - rest (walk)
    10/2 - rest (yoga)
    10/3 - 4.1km
    10/4 - cross training (workout dvd)
    10/5 - 4.8km + a really wimpy strength workout
    10/6 - rest
    10/7 - 4.0 km
    10/8 - cross training (walk)
    10/9 - yoga
    10/10 - 6.0 km
    10/11 - rest
    10/12 - 4.0 km
    10/13 - rest
    10/14 - 6.1 km
    10/15 - rest
    10/16 - rest
    10/17 - unplanned rest (weather apocalypse)
    10/18 - 5.1 km
    10/19 - rest
    10/20 - 4.0 km

Total 32/55 km

Tonight was one of those runs where I had to turn around and head back home just as I was getting in the groove. This is one reason why I don't like running in the evening--had to run back in time for the kids' bedtime.

Also, I kept thinking I was going to trip over shadows. Time to get a headlamp I think. Pretty soon it will be dark every time I run except Saturday daytime runs just due to my work schedule.

Upcoming Races:
    9/24 Heartbeat Run 10K 1:24:44 (11.1km)
    1/1/18 Resolution Run 5K
    4/8/18 Jasper Half Marathon
    8/18/18 Edmonton Marathon 10K
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    With all the talk of the Fenix 5 and the Forerunner 935, I started looking at both watches again to compare them side ny side (I'd promised myself one for my birthday next weekend as a gift for running the marathon). As both watches are practically identical inside, it all came down to aesthetics...I currently have an FR-235 and so I don't mind the plastic body (which has been scratch resistant and honestly looks as good as the day I bought it), and I love the lightness of it to the point that you forget that you're wearing it. The Fenix 5, while nice-looking, is obviously more rugged and hence can take more knocks, but is close to twice the weight of the 935 and looks a lot bulkier (to me).

So with that, I ordered the 935 with a couple of protective glass screens (the one I use for my 235 saved it on one occassion) and a lime yellow quick-release band for running while I keep the regular black band for everyday wear. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow, and quite frankly, I'm all excited about it, lol...I'm a huge data nerd and the additional metrics will be interesting to see, but the main thing I want is that huge battery life! :smile:

Which glass screen did you get? I am nearly sure I will get the 935 in the couple weeks...
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Which glass screen did you get? I am nearly sure I will get the 935 in the couple weeks...
    This one. $9 for two screens to protect a $500 investment is pretty much a no-brainer to me!

• HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options

October Goal met: got thru the Aim At Melanoma run without losing it.....

10/1 rest
    10/2 4.20
    10/3 4.10
    10/4 5.30
    10/5 rest
    10/6 4.40
    10/7 6.10
    10/8
    10/9
    10/11
    10/12
    10/13
    10/14 3.1
    10/15 6.50
    10/16 snorkel 6 hours
    10/17 rest
    10/18 9.75
    10/19 4.43
    10/20 4.33

Total: 52.21

@MNLittleFinn Have a great time on your run!

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    AIM at Melanoma 5k 10/14/17