WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2017

Options

Replies

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Felicia, both of my grandmothers were "stout" German ladies as were their mothers!....no waist, lol. And they lived to their mid 90's eating farm food - meat and potatoes and pies!

My mom was a little better but still had a large tummy....died at 89. So I know my genes really want to thicken up my waist a LOT! Hoping to delay or prevent it.

Talking about tummy scars.... I had 2 belly button surgeries. The second one, gallbladder, left me with a "dimple" (indentation) above my belly button and internal scar tissue = which often cause a lot of pain if I eat too much. So I guess I have a built-in brake there. Of course when I'd get into the little Debbies and potato chips, I decided I could stand the pain! :'(

Lanette

Oh, yes. My paternal grandmother was 100% German. Immigrated from Russia in the 1910's. I joke a lot about my German peasant heritage.

Scars -- I have quite a few laparoscopy scars on my core, but they healed nicely. But my three c-sections have left quite a "ledge" above my hair line. The c-section scars themselves don't look too bad, but I assume there is some scar tissue below the surface which fat accumulates on? Just accentuates my apple shape. :(

Felicia, descended from stout German peasants
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,144 Member
    Options
    Wendy- here is a link to my old success story post. It has videos of correct form and information on Pavel who's program I follow. I would not do any of the constant swinging of the light two or 3 pound kettle bell. To me that is a waste of time with very little results. Back in my aerobic days I used wrist and ankle weights while doing P90 X kickboxing and saw very little results from that.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10449355/update-stronglifts-and-kettlebell-transformation-pictures#latest

<3

Mary from Arizona
  • fanncy0626
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Kate The honey is used to sweeten it to make it more palatable. I would venture to say your DH would probably not need any medication if he took the Apple cider vinegar instead. Also, if you put a 4 inch block under each of the legs of your head of the bed. That is also supposed to help. If he has had an issue for a long time it will probably take a week or two for his Gut to heal with the Apple cider vinegar.

Felicia i'm glad that you're not hurting anymore!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Becca, you mentioned yesterday that you missed several th gs that were part of your life. One was your nudist life. You can take care of that by being nude while talking to us. We don't care at all.

I'm going to have to find a picture of Trinity at 9. When I was scrolling down Marcylynns post with her granddaughters dress, I thought at first it was Trinity. That dress is superb! You are a great teacher and she is a great student. You are building memories and giving her a tool that she will ha e for the rest of her life.

I can't remember who it was that was asking how I post. I just post directly onto MFP in the yellow box. I guess my iPad does have a note thing on my iPad but I don't know if I can copy from that.

Joyce, ndiana
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,617 Member
    Options
    stat for the day:

treadmill jog- 1hr 43min 48sec, 132ahr, 156mhr, mostly 5.5sp 1st 5 mi, 5.7 and up last 5mi, 10.23min mi 10mi = 936c
    Apple Watch= 1066c
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,753 Member
    Options
    awww thanks DJ.. I am enjoying life.. have Chester over here, we have taken 3 walks and he has met some new friends, and Now is passed out on my bed,just like old times lol.
    I ordered 2 wifi theromastat's for here so I will be able to control the heat, here is hoping since the building is only 14 yrs old the wiring wont be hard for the electrician...he is coming next Saterday..
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon Ladies!

Just a few quick thoughts.

I began swinging a KettleBell on Mary's advice. I'm not as dedicated as she is, not nearly the weight, frequently nor duration she swings, but about 4-5 times per week. It seems to burn a lot of calories and I am getting smaller. I'm not sure I will ever have a flat stomach, never ever did and I sport a long vertical scar from a C-section. Didn't stop me from wearing a 2 piece bathing suit this summer though. No one is perfect, even models are air brushed.

Love and hugs to everyone.

Chris in MA
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,858 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies: Raining and drizzly here today but DD and I got one gutter cleaned before it started raining too hard. Horses and goats are all hanging out in their respective shelters. The barn cat is in the barn on her heated pad. A basically lazy day. Our farrier let us know someone has a Rocky Mountain horse for sale. He sounds like a nice guy but is nearly 16 hands, much too tall for me. I like my horses about 14 hands 2 inches. Both of the ones I have owned have been that height. I am just too short especially in the legs for a big tall horse although a smooth-gaited Rocky could be fun.

Becca - Cheer up soon! We love your smiling face.

Marcelyn - The dress is really cute and so is the DGD.

Take care everyone, Sue in WA
  • fanncy0626
    edited October 2017
    Options
    DJ- (((hugs))) I am hoping that your hip pain subsides and you have a restful night tonight!

Chris- I also wear a 2 piece swimsuit but I feel self confidence wearing it. I usually wear a tankini when around people. Mainly because I think I look too sexy in it. (Big Boobs) Thanks to the Kettlebell and Keto. I am very shy!

Becca - I could never be a nudist. I don't have enough self confidence like you do! I was bullied by girls when I was young.

Allie- so happy that you enjoyed your day with Chester! Love your new place!

<3

Mary from Arizona

• coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Mary from Arizona, ((((((((((((((hugs)))))))). Sorry you were bullied as a child. That's not something you ever forget....
    Becca
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Rye – I think maybe with the shape you say your body is – Hourglass – you might be comfortable in yoga pants with a tunic over them. Tunic being just below your crotch or mid-thigh. Any longer than that it looks too much like a dress over them. That is what seems to be ‘in style’ at the moment and it is something that young people or older ones can wear and look pretty decent in. I know all of my pants are either skinny jeans or yoga pants with the exception of a couple of pair of jeans. But, I wear them around the house mostly because I am ‘swayback’ and I don’t like how the legs of them are and tucking in a shirt, for me, just looks sloppy because it pulls out in back. Of course, for men having their shirts tucked in the front and loose in the back is how a lot of them do it when they dress casual. I find that if I want a pair of ‘dress slacks’, they are going to have to go to the tailor to look good. Also they look a lot better if I wear boot that have a heel to them. Of course, I have not bought a pair of ‘dress slacks’ in quite a while. Also, I like my jeans to go to my bellybutton and don’t like ‘low rise’ jeans at all. To me, they are uncomfortable and make you look funny when you tuck a shirt it, if you can find one that would be long enough and not too loose.

Our Mother made most of our clothes growing up and she made both older sisters their maternity dresses. I borrowed most of mine and kept them for my 2nd pregnancy with Will. She did make a dress for Sundays that had an over-blouse that covered my breasts and I could wear it throughout my pregnancy and even afterwards because it had a way to button it underneath that part to expand as my belly did. Both times that I carried to term, I looked like a basketball or beach ball had been stuck up the front of whatever I was wearing. From the back I had a waistline. One thing that her teaching us to sew is something that makes me very aware of how things are made. I won’t buy anything if the pattern doesn’t match all around. I’ve even seen something that the plaid was upside down from the other side. The little notched/tab area helps someone cutting out a pattern be able to ‘match’ the pattern up. They also give you instructions on how to lay the pattern out depending on if you buy 45” – 54” wide material. If you have a pattern to the material, you have to buy a little more to match them; you just need to know what the repeat of the pattern is - could be a few inches to over a foot (especially if you are dealing with upholstery material. This is especially true if you are making drapes. My Mother made some of the most beautiful lined drapes for our new house we had when we lived in Macon (we lived 25 miles away from them).

While my Mimi made most of her clothes when she moved to Forsyth after a friend of her was mugged in her driveway and all she could do was ‘watch it’ … she went through sewing classes from ‘basic’ all the way up to ‘tailoring’. From Simplicity patterns to Vogue (which she said you had to really follow the directions exactly as written, even if you had been sewing for a long time; or else you would be doing a lot of ‘ripping out seams’.

Felicia – I agree – cute toes. Does wearing closed shoes give you fits? My 2nd and 3rd toe are ‘webbed’ … meaning the toe is not as distinct between them like your are. What is your husband going to be doing overseas? Is it something that is like some sort of consulting job? Hope he is safe while over there. How long is he going to stay? Is it somewhere you can tell us where he is going ... or is that something that, like in the military, they don't want it to be shared.

Lanette – I am very long waisted, too. I bought one dress and it looked fine; but, after wearing it a couple of times, I have decided that I will donate it to somewhere – it has a ‘waist’ and it is just very uncomfortable – and it looks like I am wearing something that is ‘too short-waisted’. I hate it, because I really thought it was ‘cute’. I rarely wear dresses now that I am retired.

I measure my waist at the smallest point which is even with my belly button; but, again, I am extremely long waisted and long from my shoulders to my crotch. My Mother who was 5’2” (and that was a stretch – probably rounded up a little) was so long-waisted and short legged, that she looked like she was ‘tall’ if she was sitting at a table or behind a desk where her legs could not be seen. She always had a belly as long as I remember – and being morbidly obese during my ‘middle school years’ and I hate to admit it, I was embarrassed about that. She had what they considered a mild heart attack when I entered HS and lost a lot of weight; but, she probably never got below 180lbs. She was at her slimmest as far as I remember when I got married. She made my ‘going away outfit’ and it was brown and dark green checked (small) … after buying the material I found a pair of shoes that exactly matched those colors. A pair of heels that one of the colors and the other were like B-Bops. Tie up shoes. I love them. I got ready to go meet Louis and I kept being stuck when I walked and she remembered she had not taken out he pins when she hemmed it. Got a picture of her taking them out and holding them ‘in her mouth’.

I’m about 2 points away from being at the top end of my ‘healthy’ BMI. This past month I am going for my weigh-ins just once a month and see how that goes. I’m still eating my protein bar in the evening with my coffee. I’m putting more ‘food’ into my diet and usually eat 2 meals instead of 3 and then a ‘snack’. If I drink the protein shake in the AM for breakfast … I usually am not hungry until about 2:30 – 3:00 in the afternoon.

I am pretty much consistently a 12 with a few 10 or a ‘medium’ in my tops and yoga pants. I am healthier than I have been in years. I started MFP right after Will and Tami got married (well actually started my ‘diet’ then; but, started with MFP in December of 2015.

I think I will start keeping up with my measurements as well. I don’t even think I entered my last time’s measurements, so I need to do that, too.

I used to have a set of ankle weights but I have not seem them I quite a while. But, there are a few things I have not ‘seen’ since we moved out here over 15 years ago. But, Louis says there are a few boxes (probably over the rafters in my studio that have never been opened. Maybe they are there. I have a Chinese Warrior I bought when my BF and I drove to Birmingham, AL to see the exhibit … and a ring that I was given by the man I dated before I met Louis.

My Mimi was skinny and she always had ‘desserts’ for every meal (other than breakfast); so when my Mother was born, she was ‘stuffed’ because back then, a ‘fat baby’ was considered a ‘healthy baby’. My Mother never (or rarely) made desserts – other than ‘homemade ice cream from custard – that was also homemade). It was delicious! Mimi lived into her 90’s; Mother died when she was 89; and, her brother roughly the same age. Pop died at 52 from a Widow Maker – I never knew him. My other grandfather (along with an uncle) were killed when a train hit their car because the grass on the ‘right-of-way’ was taller than most men and they could not see it. The engineer was ‘high enough up’ that he could see them and started blasting his horn; but, could not stop in time.

My grandmother was in her late 80’s when she died. My Daddy was 75 when he died from a stroke (several months after he had it). Guess that would be ‘from complications brought on by a stroke).

Mary from Arizona – I have the Keto diet and recipes printed out, I just have not sat down and read the information about it.

I’ve got a 10lb kettlebell and I am so new at it, I have found it gets heavy. I was about to buy one that weighed 25lb, I am glad that I didn’t.

I got some Apple Cider Vinegar and I tried it a couple of weeks ago, mixed into Sparkling ICE, the grapefruit kind. It wasn’t too bad; but, not sure if the grapefruit interferes with my thyroid medication. Seems I have read something about not drinking or eating grapefruit/juice.

Wendy – I have a friend and his wife that spend about 6 months in New Zealand and he has sent me pictures and I have seen some National Geographic shows and it is a ‘beautiful’ country.

Joyce – It was me – I did not realize you were using an iPad, so I don’t know if that would work for you. I’ve never had one.

We need the rain … you can send a little to SW Georgia and maybe even to Louisiana as well. Both places have been planted; but, if it doesn’t rain, won’t be much good. Louis and Trey planted another 2+ acre food plot and I have to get him to draw it off on the aerial map so I can take it to the USDA office. This year, she said the $$$ we’ll get is about $500 – that is up substantially from what it has been. Need to remember to ask if the planting of the 30 oak and chestnut trees will also be counted. They borrowed a neighbor’s auger to dig the holes, the ground was rock solid. They had also disked up the plot and the Sabal Trail people came in and smoothed it out (by mistake) when they were doing their final inspection.

Becca – I have had a few ‘dinky’ days lately … don’t know if it is because my MD put me on a ‘statin’ or not (but it seemed to have started about the same time).

Lenora
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,021 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka: I admire your athletic abilities. I might be able to ride a century, but it would take about 5 to 10 days. I am so impressed with your fitness and endurance. :star:

Thank you. :)

I've been cycling for 44 years, and cycling "seriously" (avidly, enthusiastically) for 27 years, and cycling long distances for 23 years. :)

My fitness level does vary a bit (and not having ridden as much as we should have in the past 7 weeks means that I'm a bit stiff this morning) but when you keep doing something like that, it's easier to keep on doing it.

The area I really need to work on is my upper body and core. I know that working on my upper body and core will make the long distance cycling more comfortable, but I'm just not as into that type of exercise as I am with cycling. So I do some weights and things for a few days, and then nothing for a few weeks, and then get the weights out again for a few days ...

But I need to be more consistent.

M in Oz
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,961 Member
    Options
    :)Barbara, Welcome to the cool and rainy coastal PNW. You will love it over here.

• fanncy0626
    Options
    Lenora- it sounds like it would be fun to go through the boxes in the rafters! You might have hidden treasures in there!

Marcelyn - so I bought the facial cream that supposedly she quit the television show to sell and it didn't work! Not only that but they didn't ship it on time I didn't get the 14 day free trial and then I got a billed $100 and had to fight to get it back. You can't trust anybody where money and wealth is concerned.

Becca - thanks! In real life I have zero girlfriends. I hung out with the boys and was quite the tomboy. You ladies are the only female friends I have!

Barbara- take care of yourself! We're here when you need us!

<3

Mary from Arizona