Clearly CICO has no bearing on my recent weight loss

Options

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Nixi3Knox wrote: »
    Calories In and Calories out. This is a point of massive controversy here, because what way have we of actually knowing for sure our Calories OUT? Unless a person gets appropriate testing to determine this calorie out put. Further, it may not be simply all about the calories if any kind of medical situation is at play.

And there is absolutely no need to know exactly what either your CI or your CO values are. The process is simple - choose a calorie goal, weigh yourself, stay at the calorie goal for at least 2 weeks (maybe even 4 weeks) and then weigh yourself again. If the number on the scale has gone up an appreciable amount (more than 1-2 pounds), then you are eating more than you need to maintain your current weight. If the number has stayed the same, you are eating to maintain your current weight and if the number has gone down your are eating at a deficit. Choose which side of the process you want to be on (gain, maintain or lose) and repeat the process until you reach your desired goal.

I don't see why people keep getting bogged down in the minute details when we cannot possibly know what all the minute details are and cannot account for them, nor can we control all of them! Just use the process described above and you will have all of the information that you need to make the process work!

Exactly!

Everyone is different, but for the vast majority of people, without any medical issues, eating less calories than your body burns is the only way we lose excess weight. No matter whether or not you are actively counting the calories you consume or expend, or arrive at the loss by any other way. You are eating less calories than you are burning if you are losing weight.

• richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Math? Not a thing.

Thermodynamics? Not a thing.

Laws of energy conservation? Not a thing.

Gluten-free? You might be on to something there......

If there is more gluconeogenesis doing LC or IF, then thermodynamics demands there be a metabolic advantage doing those things. Any process, including gluconeogensis ins't 100% efficient in energy conversion, so that alone proves that what you eat and possibly when you eat does make a difference.

Look at long-term results.

Long term results are the accumulation of short terms results and if IF and LC have short term results and are adhered to in the long term, you will get long term results doing them.

Yes, and in the long term, the reduced efficiency balances out with the generally lower energy level caused by LC.

So it seems to me you just acknowledged that it does make LC or IF does make a difference at least in the short term.

Of course it makes a difference, but what value does it provide? Why would you want to force your body to function inefficiently? And short-term results are not indicative of long-term results. You can eat a diet of purely isolated carbs (no fat or protein), and the short-term results (up to a few days maybe longer) would not be quantifiable or reach statistical significance against an isocaloric, mixed-macro control diet. Long-term though, the carb-only diet would make your body incredibly inefficient, making you lose weight until you eventually die from malnutrition-induced organ failure. None of this violates CICO by the way.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,556 Member
    Options
    davidylin wrote: »
    I knew a person that once lost 30 pounds while eating whatever he wanted. CICO is a lie, just like his phantom limb pain!
    Yes and anecdotes don't overide evidence. This is NOT an uncommon opinion by people who seem to think that CICO doesn't apply to people who don't eat "clean".

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My understanding of LCHF (which I do, to some degree) is that the idea is that you DON'T do much gluconeogenesis. You simply fuel a higher percentage of your activity with fat (that you consume) vs. carbs.

That's consistent with the evidence where a straight one for one comparison of low carb vs. low fat shows no meaningful difference in fat loss with controlled intake. It's also consistent with longer term studies and studies that control for protein intake, which also show no difference (although compliance is always an issue with those).

I think the gluconeogensis argument is essentially the reverse of the McDougall Starch Solution argument, which is that you can't gain weight eating high carb and low fat, because you waste so many calories if you have to turn carbs to fat (and in any case it gives you a higher metabolism). That's silly too, when it comes to real life.

Anyway, nothing to do with OP's post which seems to be that if you go from feeling bad to feeling good, drop some inflammation or water weight, and eat a sensible controlled diet, you can definitely do very well eating more than 1200. Heck, that's how I lost weight, and I never thought it meant CICO had no bearing on my diet or losses.