Options

Replies

• JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    Refeeding I find to be a fascinating topic that I have only recently discovered but which has resonated with a personal experience that I had not terribly long ago. I have only been on maintenance a very short time, but like 5-6 weeks ago when I was still cutting like a madman I remember one Sunday after my long run I just snapped. I had been going pretty hardcore for a solid month and I finally just gave up on tracking that day and went to town on food. I would guess I was probably in the ballpark of at least 5-6000 calories that day (I wish I would of tracked it now).

Anyway, as you might expect I felt guilty as hell the next day, so I went right back to grindstone. Work, run, eat, sleep, repeat. The following Sunday when I went to weight I figured it was going to be a "treading water" week since I had screwed up so hardcore that one day. Nope. I dropped 2 and a half pounds which was more than normal even on balls to the wall weeks. At the time I blew it off as an aberration, as I have had plenty of weird things happen over the course of my tenure in this game, but after hearing about this concept it does now make me pause for thought.

Yep, this is that one trick that will make weight loss easier ;)

I never really made any sort of connection to refeeding, or even heard of it, until like a week ago. But the more I read and compare notes to my own experience, the more the shoe seems to fit. My "runger" got worse and more acute the leaner I got, and the one time I gave into it I actually lost more weight. Purely anecdotal, but thought provoking nonetheless. Probably worth a shot to others who are relatively lean as they near the finish line and looking for a boost in morale.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    Refeeding I find to be a fascinating topic that I have only recently discovered but which has resonated with a personal experience that I had not terribly long ago. I have only been on maintenance a very short time, but like 5-6 weeks ago when I was still cutting like a madman I remember one Sunday after my long run I just snapped. I had been going pretty hardcore for a solid month and I finally just gave up on tracking that day and went to town on food. I would guess I was probably in the ballpark of at least 5-6000 calories that day (I wish I would of tracked it now).

Anyway, as you might expect I felt guilty as hell the next day, so I went right back to grindstone. Work, run, eat, sleep, repeat. The following Sunday when I went to weight I figured it was going to be a "treading water" week since I had screwed up so hardcore that one day. Nope. I dropped 2 and a half pounds which was more than normal even on balls to the wall weeks. At the time I blew it off as an aberration, as I have had plenty of weird things happen over the course of my tenure in this game, but after hearing about this concept it does now make me pause for thought.

Yep, this is that one trick that will make weight loss easier ;)

Counter-intuitive as it may seem!
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Going to investigate further- Thanks for the info Nony_Mouse!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Well, my story in all its gory detail is that I had been overtraining (relative to capabilities given my age - 55- and limitations due to my medical conditions) and underfueling then binging for the better part of a year.

I've played with macro mixes and have had reprieves from the binge behavior only to have it come back to bite me.

I'd experience appetite suppression from running which is what led to the underfueling, but then lifting would make me ravenous - cue binge. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Various behavior modification techniques combined with macro balancing did help mitigate the binging to the point that they grew less frequent and lower in calories, but I packed on about 8 pounds, and I'm not happy about it.

I decided to scale back a bit on running (was training for 10K) to only run a max of 2 miles each outing. Walking (I walk 4 minute miles) is unlimited and I do a lot of walking. Lifting 3 times a week with moderate weights.

I've been focusing on behavior and adherence, so I haven't weighed yet. One of my binge triggers was having the scale drop for some odd reason. I want to avoid that for just now.

Anyway, putting all this out there because I've been following all of this with interest. My last maintenance eating day was 2 weeks ago, so I'm going to do 2 days refeed this weekend. I'm stocked up with breakfast cereal and chickpea pasta and butternut squash.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Refeed is the bomb. This is seriously so much easier than the banging my head against a wall that I was doing before diet break. I'm only 300g off what was my previous goal weight. Of course I dropped that by 2kg, but if I carry on at this rate, factoring in another diet break, I'll be there in 8 weeks. Christmas present!! Of course, I'm not counting on it, but gosh that would be nice :)

Living testimony that it works!! Love the "banging my head against a wall".
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Well my hope with this whole thing is that it can put me into a steady cycle of loss where I can finally get to goal because I've been spinning my wheels for a year.

It all started when I was 5 pounds from goal and did RFL in a desperate attempt to be done with dieting and spiraled out of control from there.

In reflecting back, I did RFL because I was having trouble losing. I should have done a diet break THEN. I did absolutely the wrong thing and have been doing nothing but the wrong thing ever since.

At this point, I'd just be happy to no longer binge and don't care how long it takes me to get to goal.

Srsly, this has helped me so much. I really hope it does the same for you :)
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Well my hope with this whole thing is that it can put me into a steady cycle of loss where I can finally get to goal because I've been spinning my wheels for a year.

It all started when I was 5 pounds from goal and did RFL in a desperate attempt to be done with dieting and spiraled out of control from there.

In reflecting back, I did RFL because I was having trouble losing. I should have done a diet break THEN. I did absolutely the wrong thing and have been doing nothing but the wrong thing ever since.

At this point, I'd just be happy to no longer binge and don't care how long it takes me to get to goal.

I hope this doesn't sound weird/wrong -- but I've always respected you on these forums, and in a way, it's a relief to see what someone I respect is struggling with the same issues I've had.

was thinking the same thing
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Refeed is the bomb. This is seriously so much easier than the banging my head against a wall that I was doing before diet break. I'm only 300g off what was my previous goal weight. Of course I dropped that by 2kg, but if I carry on at this rate, factoring in another diet break, I'll be there in 8 weeks. Christmas present!! Of course, I'm not counting on it, but gosh that would be nice :)

Living testimony that it works!! Love the "banging my head against a wall".

Poster child!!