Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What do you think about impact of the phrase 'nothing is impossible if you work hard enough' ?

Options

Replies

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

I see this a lot on the daily inspirational quotes (accompanied by pictures of flowers and hearts) that some of my facebook friends post. I think a lot of the pictures are pretty but nothing I would say to anyone in real life.

I'm not generally a fan of motivational quotes. Or posters, or memes on motivational quotes. But I do get why they can be psychologically effective.

This phrase is one I've never actually used myself for anyone, old or young. It doesn't bother me, I understand the intent and it's not malicious and it's generally positive if naive
    But if you want to see me get really annoyed by a motivational cliche, drag out the Robert Frost "the road less traveled" and put the final couplet out with no context. ARGHHHH!
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I think it gets in the way of setting realistic attainable goals. There are a limitless number of things that are impossible. Nothing wrong with setting your heights high, but dreaming about the impossible is wasting time.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    The statement is usually thrown around the most by people who haven't had to work for what they have.

Funny enough, the people who did need to work hard to get what they wanted will be the first ones to say that there's a definite chance that you'll fail but that it's usually worth a shot anyway.

That's pretty assumptive. You know how much effort anyone puts into things? Much less everyone who has ever used this phrase?

My statement is no more assumptive than yours. And while I don't mean to spark a political debate, I think we (in the US) have a whole federal government full of people who endlessly spout variations of this dreck...the people who don't have or who haven't achieved are simply not trying hard enough.

To say it more plainly because I'm very grumpy today...the statement is absolutely untrue. It's a worthless platitude spoken by people who don't generally have any better advice to give, nor interest in actually helping the receiver of the message. I actually lose respect for people who use the phrase, same as I do for people who use 'irregardless'. It's patronizing, trite, and cliche.

A much better piece of advice is "You'll never know what's possible unless you try", or "God helps those who help themselves" (or whatever non-religious version of this you prefer).
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Unfortunately it's BS.

People have talents in varying degrees in various things.

For example, no matter how much I practice golf I will never be good enough to be a professional golfer.

I just don't have "it".

I am not good enough in math to be a physicist. Forget it. I'm not smart enough.

If I practice singing all the time will I sing like Maria Carey? No.

The trick is to find something you can become good at or at least half-assed at in the case of making a living.

Always do the best you can.

The vast majority of us will only ever be average if we are lucky.

The world is full of people who can't accept their lack of talent in a certain thing and never move on to something they can be pretty fair at and have some degree of success. It's a sad thing to see.

• DX2JX2
    Options

It's bizarre, out of the 3 examples you pick, they are either mostly wrong, or have notable counterexamples, or in the last case are utterly erroneous.

Golf is a skill, It can be taught, and with sufficient hard work, can be mastered. Pro golfer is within the realm of anyone who is prepared to put in the work between the ages of 12-21. Ditto for the second example

Regarding singing, there are tens of thousands of singers nationwide who are more accomplished singers than Mariah Carey. Most of which aren't getting paid, not because of lack of skill/practice/capability, but because they weren't in the right place at the right time with the right look.

I don't have a dog in this fight but I will say that the athletics example is absolutely true. I'm not particularly talented at golf but do play to a mid-single digit handicap via practice and perseverance. Could I ever be a pro? Not a chance.

If you've every played a sport with or against somebody with the potential to get there, you'd see that they are on a totally different plane from the rest of us based simply on raw talent (that is, before even considering training differences). They play a different game altogether; the gap between 'recreational' talent and 'professional caliber' potential is huge.
  • DX2JX2
    Options

I tell my kids, the oldest with several physical impairments, that they can accomplish their goals...and maybe a hearing problem will keep the oldest from going into the military, but it wont prevent him from being a DoD rocket scientist...there are all sorts of ways to serve his country. Not everyone has to be the person with the gun...and I think the guy with the rocket has the bigger gun anyway.

This is the difference between actual valuable advice and a worthless throwaway platitude like "nothing is impossible if you work hard enough".

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    I think it is, at the core, the same...he can do anything he wants to do...he just has to think outside the box...rather than narrowly define some of the words of the phrase.

So... you can do anything you want to do... as long as you redefine "ANYTHING" to mean "things that are actually possible for you to do."

Which ... kind of completely defeats the purpose of the cliche ;D

I think the general assumption is that "anything" doesn't include such feats as holding your nose, farting a rainbow and flying to the moon... in the case of lisawolfinger, she apparently accomplished a great many things that those around her, including "experts", had told her were impossible. So, she shook her head, ignored the the advice to be a "realist" and tried anyhow... and succeeded. I'd like to think that is the heart and soul of the saying.

I do wonder how many Olympians were once told, "lol, keep dreaming kid. There is no way you will ever be in the Olympics. Why waste your time on the impossible", but ignored that seemingly sound advice and kept pushing towards that dream anyhow.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    I think it is, at the core, the same...he can do anything he wants to do...he just has to think outside the box...rather than narrowly define some of the words of the phrase.

So... you can do anything you want to do... as long as you redefine "ANYTHING" to mean "things that are actually possible for you to do."

Which ... kind of completely defeats the purpose of the cliche ;D

I think the general assumption is that "anything" doesn't include such feats as holding your nose, farting a rainbow and flying to the moon... in the case of lisawolfinger, she apparently accomplished a great many things that those around her, including "experts", had told her were impossible. So, she shook her head, ignored the the advice to be a "realist" and tried anyhow... and succeeded. I'd like to think that is the heart and soul of the saying.

I do wonder how many Olympians were once told, "lol, keep dreaming kid. There is no way you will ever be in the Olympics. Why waste your time on the impossible", but ignored that seemingly sound advice and kept pushing towards that dream anyhow.

Someone like Oscar Pistorius?