Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Can you both desire to lose weight and be body positive?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Can I want to lose weight and be body positive.

IMO, absolutely. One of the things I found happened when I started exercising again -- way before I hit the weight I wanted to be -- was that I felt better about my body, and what it could do, and even kind of fond of it. But I'd separate my body from "how my body looks." I didn't have that old hatred of how my body looked, but I could neutrally look at it and think about the things I wanted to change or watch progress and be proud. But I still loved my body in that it could do things and is necessary for me and, indeed, is me.

Does that make any sense?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Many of the things we think of as mutually exclusive, really aren't. This is one of those things. Being or wanting to be normal weight, is certainly in line with loving one's body. In fact, you love it so much that you want to take care of it. You'll actually need to love it, in order to make the effort it takes to take care of it properly. You like your friends because they're nice, not because they are thin - I hope?

And this is a really great point/way of thinking of it, IMO.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If you hate yourself you wont love yourself enough to lose weight. But if you delude yourself into thinking that being overweight is positive, you're doing mental gymnastics to make up for your inability to do physical gymnastics.

Nobody looks better overweight, nobody feels better overweight. You aren't a bad person and you shouldn't feel embarrassed about having a problem. My problem is just more visible than other people's problems. But it would be dangerous for me to call my problem a part of who I am, except from the perspective of a challenge to be overcome.

people don't always look worse overweight and some do actually feel better overweight...

and its' not mental gymnastics ...as I know lots of obese women (not personally) that can get into yoga poses I wouldn't dream of.

I don't think that people who are overweight shouldn't lose the weight but....it shouldn't be an either/or thing.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    yskaldir wrote: »
    Once you have a nice body you can be quite positive about yourself.

True. Sometimes. Sometimes not.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    If you hate yourself you wont love yourself enough to lose weight. But if you delude yourself into thinking that being overweight is positive, you're doing mental gymnastics to make up for your inability to do physical gymnastics.

Nobody looks better overweight, nobody feels better overweight. You aren't a bad person and you shouldn't feel embarrassed about having a problem. My problem is just more visible than other people's problems. But it would be dangerous for me to call my problem a part of who I am, except from the perspective of a challenge to be overcome.

people don't always look worse overweight and some do actually feel better overweight...

and its' not mental gymnastics ...as I know lots of obese women (not personally) that can get into yoga poses I wouldn't dream of.

I don't think that people who are overweight shouldn't lose the weight but....it shouldn't be an either/or thing.

I like what you did there. :)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Being obese is not healthy. You can do all the yoga poses you want but just being obese, just having more fat on your body is not healthy.

I think there's a difference between loving yourself and then thinking being overweight is okay. This is the slippery slope of "body positivity" and "fat acceptance". You hear these instagram stars say things like "I swim 2km a day" or "I can do yoga". The thing with these exercises is they're not very taxing on the body. I went hiking with my completely out of shape boyfriend when I was 230lbs. He is thin but not active and I almost died while he hadn't even broken a sweat.

People usually look bad obese and I guarantee you they would all feel better if they weren't.

You mean like the Obese guy next to my name? He's 253-260 lbs.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options

How do you know you've got a "nice body" if you're never positive about yourself?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Being obese is not healthy. You can do all the yoga poses you want but just being obese, just having more fat on your body is not healthy.

I think there's a difference between loving yourself and then thinking being overweight is okay. This is the slippery slope of "body positivity" and "fat acceptance". You hear these instagram stars say things like "I swim 2km a day" or "I can do yoga". The thing with these exercises is they're not very taxing on the body. I went hiking with my completely out of shape boyfriend when I was 230lbs. He is thin but not active and I almost died while he hadn't even broken a sweat.

People usually look bad obese and I guarantee you they would all feel better if they weren't.

I never said being obese was healthy but don't tell me obese people can't do gymnastics etc...they can.

and actually as a woman having enough fat on the body is a requirement to be healthy.

and not there isn't (imo) a slippery slope between Fat acceptance and body positivity ...

you can look at yourself and know that you are fat or overweight but know that doesn't define who you are...and feel good about yourself and what your body can do while not liking that you are fat.

and the hiking analogy doesn't prove anything...
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Oh stop kidding yourselves. Swimming cuts your weight significantly so it's literally less taxing on the body.

Being overweight is not in and of itself unhealthy. It can raise your risk of disease, but regular activity can decrease it.

No. Having more fat on your body raises your risk of disease, yes, which makes it unhealthy. Regular activity, unless you're burning fat, does not decrease it. Regular activity with no change in how much fat is on your body does not change how much fat is on your body. So it wouldn't change your risk of diseases.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/14/health/fat-but-fit-myth-heart-disease-study/index.html

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/may/17/obesity-health-no-such-thing-as-fat-but-fit-major-study

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/fat-but-fit-myth-diet-fitness-obesity-complications-inclusive-a7741126.html (this one might give you "fat but fit" but definitely not fat and healthy)

https://www.nhs.uk/news/lifestyle-and-exercise/fat-but-fit-still-at-higher-risk-of-heart-disease/

• yskaldir
    yskaldir Posts: 202 Member
    Options

How do you know you've got a "nice body" if you're never positive about yourself?

It's easy once people ask what your fitness youtube channel is called.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I find that ALL my fitness goals support the body positivity ethic. I can do more stuff, which makes me happy. I am also of the age as I lose weight I won't turn back in to a twenty year old. I sag. I wrinkle. I jiggle. Still happy. Spandex is for the jiggly bits.

http://fatgirlrunning-fatrunner.blogspot.ca/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toH4GcPQXpc

I do find it harder to engage some larger friends, as they just don't see me as being in the same club any more. I have sympathy for how much harder things are for them, but if I'm not living large, they don't think I'll understand.