Been eating less than 2,000 calories a day for a week and gained weight

Options

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I’ve been eating 1 meal a day every night for dinner for the past week and it’s the same meal every night at Wendy’s I calculated the meal based on the nutritional information on their website that I get 92 grams of protein and a little less than 1500 calories

I order 2 double cheeseburgers
    1 chicken sandwich
    And a large chili and I drink water

All stuff on the value menu

I think I might have metabolic syndrome because I used to eat very little calories and very little protein but a lot of carbs

My question is why am I gaining weight when I’m eating 1500 or less calories a day, maybe the nutritional information on the website is inaccurate or maybe it’s all the meat... whatever it is it breaks my motivation that I’m not losing anymore weight and in fact am gaining

So tonight I will not be eating that meal again seeing as it’s making me gain weight the only other thing is, I feel a lot better I don’t have anymore headaches or hunger pangs, I sleep better at night and my anxiety levels are down. But to summarize I used to eat mostly junk like frozen food and carbs like chips and ice cream but I was losing weight but was getting very little protein. Now I’m eating a higher protein diet but from fast food but still around the same amount of calories and my weight has actually increased.

Any major change you are seeing within a single week is probably water weight. Considering exactly what you have been eating, a huge amount of water weight would be expected (that stuff is practically a salt lick).
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Why... why are the patties square? That's really messing with my sense of order...

I always just kind of assumed they rolled them out in huge sheets and stamp/roller cut them or something- theoretically more efficient than doing round patties. I have no actual idea though.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Why... why are the patties square? That's really messing with my sense of order...

I always just kind of assumed they rolled them out in huge sheets and stamp/roller cut them or something- theoretically more efficient than doing round patties. I have no actual idea though.

Fresh patties are easier to regulate when square than round.

Wendy's and Whataburger both use square patties and both also use fresh vs frozen meat.
  • lalee115
    lalee115 Posts: 185 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    For what it's worth, I noticed the other day that the calories listed on the web site did NOT match the calories that my Wendy's listed on their menu. Everything I checked was listed at a higher calorie count at the restaurant menu than the online menu claimed. Some items by as much as 50+ more.
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    This whole thing is making me thirsty, just reading it.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I mean, you are kind of answering your own question here.
    Help, I'm eating all this fast food listed and gaining weight ....

Cut something out as you're obviously eating too many calories.
    Still hungry after cutting something out?? - Duh, eat healthier so you can eat more.

Even being your only meal of the day, this seems like a lot to consume in one sitting.
    Eat slowly and learn when your body is full.

I just don't fully understand why you would limit yourself to 1 meal a day and make that 1 meal fast food... everyday?
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

If you read a couple posts down from the question you'll see I already answered it.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    lalee115 wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I noticed the other day that the calories listed on the web site did NOT match the calories that my Wendy's listed on their menu. Everything I checked was listed at a higher calorie count at the restaurant menu than the online menu claimed. Some items by as much as 50+ more.

I was going to mention the accuracy too. I don't eat at Wendy's but I'm not sure how much I would trust what these fast food places say is in their food. For years McDonald's hid what they were REALLY doing with the hamburgers and the mcnuggets, so I'm not inclined to believe them on the calorie counts or nutritional information either. Some have a way of "twisting" the truth.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options

If I remember the ad correctly back in the 80s, it's because they don't cut corners. It's an implied quality thing. HAHA! It was awesome back then, well that and the "Where's the beef?" campaign.

https://youtu.be/Ug75diEyiA0
  • jnmalsch
    jnmalsch Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    depending on your lifestyle even if you were calories only it may be too many, You aren't accounting for the sneaky calories did the workers use more oil, how much oil did the fried chicken absorb, how much chili is in the cup, are you adding toppings etc... In addition how many calories do you burn a day? weight does fluctuate, you are probably holding water due to the sodium, and since you are getting the carbs to fuel your body all the fat in the food is being stored by your body.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Without knowing anything else, I would have guessed at least 2000 cals for 2 double burgers, a chicken sandwich and a large chilli.

The 6 pieces of bread alone would be 600-700.

As for the rest depends on how much meat and the % fat in it, whether the chicken was fried or grilled/roasted, how big and fatty a bowl of chilli, cheese or no cheese on the burgers and chilli and what condiments and/or dressings were added to the burgers and sandwiches.

Assuming the worst, that could easily add up to far more than 1300. For a total of over 2000 cals for such a meal.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    This is an old article, from 2014, but it does show that the reporting on the online calorie counts is usually not accurate. It is not so off, and in some places it is less than what they put online. A lot could depend on how things are done at individual chain restaurants:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2013/03/how-accurate-are-chain-restaurant-calorie-counts/index.htm
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Much of the differences come down to proper training.

There's a correct technique and an incorrect technique for applying condiments.

Additionally, many franchises butter their buns, which is generally not the standard from corporate.