November 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• bjderhak
    bjderhak Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    4 mile easy run today. 62 miles for the month.

Going to add some hill training 1 day a week and be more consistent with strength training my legs as well. When I get tired on runs its always my leg muscles that want to give out before my heart/lungs so I am assuming that means they need to be stronger. Thoughts?

Next race: Florida WestCoast 1/2 marathon in Sarasota coming up dec 10. Should be fun.

@Orphia thanks. glad to know Im not alone :)
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    11/01 - REST
    11/02 - REST
    11/03 - 1.95
    11/04 - 8
    11/05 - REST
    11/06 - 4.7
    11/07 - 2.5 (uggg, treadmill)
    11/08 - 5
    11/09 - REST
    11/10 - Cross training: Bodypump and CX Works + 10 minutes on treadmill walking with steep incline.
    11/11 - 9.85
    11/12 - REST
    11/13 - 5

Rolled my ankle a little toward the end this morning while I was fiddling with my headphones. :# Tomorrow is 3miles or cross training and while I would usually choose the run, I might do some less impact work just to make sure things aren't too niggly. We'll see how it feels through the rest of today. Doesn't help that I picked my most uncomfortable shoes to wear to the office today.

Otherwise, it was a great run on a new route, but I efinitely need to get a headlamp. This was a "safer" route than I usually take according to hubby, but the fancy schmancy neighborhood doesn't have any street lights and I couldn't see a darned thing. Had to do an out-and-back instead of the loop I fancied because I couldn't read the street signs.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    bjderhak wrote: »
    Congrats to all the racers today!!
    I ran a 10k race in St Augustine today as well. Was a little disappointed, finished about 2 minutes slower than my goal :( Trying to remind myself that I have been training for a marathon, and the 10k was just for fun. It's still hard not to get competitive with yourself. I havent been doing much for speed work, so trying to run 6.2 miles fast has me feeling more exhausted than my regularly scheduled long runs.

This is so me! I get so caught up in the race that I forget I'm actually training for a much longer distance and I don't have to crush it every time!
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    I love hearing everyone's HM stories from this weekend! My first is just shy of 4 weeks away. Just trying to log the miles and stay healthy and uninjured at this point!
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    *sigh* 32 and raining...

0rivvwkcmi1j.png

32 and raining is one degree from being SNOW!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    *sigh* 32 and raining...

0rivvwkcmi1j.png

32 and raining is one degree from being SNOW!

Correct. AKA USELESS. Grr.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    @Teresa502 That is so sad, and touching, and all the feels.
  • bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    11/01 - Sick Day
    11/02 - Sick Day
    11/03 - Sick Day
    11/04 - 13.0 miles
    11/05 – 4.0 miles
    11/06 – Unplanned Rest Day
    11/07 – Rest Day
    11/08- Rain Day
    11/09 - no run - don' t remember why
    11/10 - 7.0 miles
    11/11 - 11.0 miles
    11/12 - Rest Day
    11/13 - 5.0 miles

40/126 miles

I had 6 miles scheduled for today, but overslept a little and was only able to fit in 5 before work. I am going to try to do the other 1 mile tonight after work.

@Teresa502 -Great finish on the HM and sorry for your loss.
    @PastorVincent - My weather sounds great compared to yours!

Upcoming Races:
    12/02/2017 – St. Jude Memphis Marathon Weekend – HM
    01/13/2018 – Louisiana Marathon Weekend – Quarter Marathon
    02/17/2018 – Mardi Gras Mambo 10K
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 I'm so sorry to hear about your two friends, how awful. Congrats on a great race. I can just imagine how emotional it was for you.
    @ddmom0811 they don't let me go anywhere. :disappointed: I think their idea of boarding is awesome! I think people who don't understand how to board show go last, if you don't know that row 30 is back behind row 10 you can't board until last, if you think it's okay to just sit in the aisle if it it's not assigned to you, you should board last.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,002 Member
    Options
    @teresa502 That is so sad. My heart goes out to you.

@PastorVincent That is why I don't like snow. Around here we rarely get it, but when we do it rains first, then freezes then a dusting of snow that by noon has just turned into a slushy mess. Maybe if we ever got any real snow I would see the appeal.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @Teresa502 I'm so sorry to hear about your two friends, how awful. Congrats on a great race. I can just imagine how emotional it was for you.

This. :(
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    @PastorVincent That is why I don't like snow. Around here we rarely get it, but when we do it rains first, then freezes then a dusting of snow that by noon has just turned into a slushy mess. Maybe if we ever got any real snow I would see the appeal.

Right? I mean I bought a set of Yaktracks last year and despite several snowfalls never could use them was because all the snow was slush icky yuck mess.
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »

This exactly!!! It usually rains and freezes and makes things impossible to maneuver. And then everyone loses their minds. LOL.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    11/1- 25 minutes strength training (legs)+ 3.7 miles treadmill intervals
    11/2-5.3 miles
    11/3-5.1 miles
    11/4-10 miles +2.8 miles pub crawl
    11/5-rest day (dog walking, but that was it)
    11/6- 5 miles + 1.5 miles with Stella
    11/7-4.4 miles + 1.1 miles with Stella
    11/8-4.9 miles + stretching
    11/9-30 minutes strength training
    11/10-45 min yoga
    11/11-3.2 mile shake out run
    11/12-13.1 mile Honor Run HM

60.3/120

@katharmonic -Way to hang in there when the going got tough!
    @RunRachelleRun -Congrats on the PR!
    @shrcpr- Woot! Woot! Congrats on completing your first half!
    @bjderhak -Sorry your race didn't go as hoped, but try not t get discouraged. Marathon training takes its toll. You are doing the right thing by making it your primary focus and not trying to do too much with the speedwork. there will be other 10ks. Go rock that marathon first!
    @Teresa502-Sounds like quite an emotional day. I am sure you made your friends very proud!
    @MobyCarp _Congrats on another impressive race performance!

@MNLittleFinn - I think that the quantity vs. quality argument is there in road racing too. I personally feel like I get the most out of those really hard workouts, so I keep my overall mileage lower and focus on getting in really good speed sessions (when I am actually training, that is :) ). But I also know plenty of runners who consistently bang out 60-80 mpw and perform great in races too. I think it's just a matter of figuring out what works best for you.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

@MNLittleFinn - I think that the quantity vs. quality argument is there in road racing too. I personally feel like I get the most out of those really hard workouts, so I keep my overall mileage lower and focus on getting in really good speed sessions (when I am actually training, that is :) ). But I also know plenty of runners who consistently bang out 60-80 mpw and perform great in races too. I think it's just a matter of figuring out what works best for you.
    Yeah. I'm hoping that this training cycle helps me figure that out. Since trail doesn't pound you as much as road, you can kind of get away with lower mileage in training, if you are willing to suffer during the race.....
    ...... I had decent mileage (mid 50s per week) for my 100k, which wasn't really any more than for my marathons. My max for 100 miles will be similar, but a greater emphasis on the quality, from the get go. I know I could have been better prepared for my 100k, but it wasn't too bad, so I'm thinking that the programming for 100 miles should be good.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    It's another dreary day. I struggle to function when it's just constantly gray outside. Hoping to force myself out the door for 3 miles after work. Also the time change is making me feel like 6pm is too late to run when I'd go out at 7:30 a few weeks ago :( I'm doing well otherwise but I need to conquer this and not just run on days I don't work.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    I'm not one to think too far in the future, but in the unlikely event after the HM in December I wanted to do a full, how different is training for a "trail 26.2" different from a "pavement 26.2." I'm looking at some races, but the one that would fit best in the timing is on a trail. Most of my training won't be on trails, although I can make sure my long run is on trail..

Suggestions?
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I'm not one to think too far in the future, but in the unlikely event after the HM in December I wanted to do a full, how different is training for a "trail 26.2" different from a "pavement 26.2." I'm looking at some races, but the one that would fit best in the timing is on a trail. Most of my training won't be on trails, although I can make sure my long run is on trail..

Suggestions?

2 different worlds, generally a lot more vertical in trail, and technical trails are slower going than road. If you can get your long run on trail, that's enough, though, more is much better. If you have specific questions, I'd be happy to answer what I can.