November 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• SusanDSME
    SusanDSME Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    11/11 -2.25 mi
    11/12 -1.5 mi plus 1 mi jog (didn't count jog)
    11/13 -1.5 mi plus 1 hr strength training and 25 min on stationary bike (5.3 mi)

pubfbom00o0p.png
    Anybody else having trouble with their ticker? I added my mileage, it looks right, and then when I copy the code, it comes up with yesterday's figures. I copied the image and pasted it here, but it's obviously not ideal.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm not one to think too far in the future, but in the unlikely event after the HM in December I wanted to do a full, how different is training for a "trail 26.2" different from a "pavement 26.2." I'm looking at some races, but the one that would fit best in the timing is on a trail. Most of my training won't be on trails, although I can make sure my long run is on trail..

Suggestions?

2 different worlds, generally a lot more vertical in trail, and technical trails are slower going than road. If you can get your long run on trail, that's enough, though, more is much better. If you have specific questions, I'd be happy to answer what I can.

I'll hit ya up once I decide. I don't know what my next goal will be after the HM yet. I'm just noodling with ideas at this point.
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    My goals this month are:

1. Mileage - 130 Miles
    2. run a sub 1hr 10k at race on 19th November
    3. Add in strength training once per week

1/11-3.5
    2/11-8.7
    3/11-rest
    4/11-rest
    5/11-5.2
    6/11-5.8
    7/11-4.5
    8/11-1.5 (hills workshop)
    9/11-rest
    10/11-7.7
    11/11-3.5 (park run)
    12/11- strength training - Insanity Asylum power legs
    13/11-5.2

Total - 45/130 Miles
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1---3.23
    2--PT
    3---4.34
    7---PT
    9---PT
    10---3.33
    13---3.47

14.37/65 miles

Upcoming races:
    Dec 2- POOP trail run, 5.5 miles Norman OK
    Jan 27 Running the Rose. Tyler Tx. 11mi or 7k

Pre-op PR's
    1 mile 8:27  5k 24:42. 10k 1:00.52.  HM 2:17.28
    Post-op Training PB's
    1 mile 9.25  5k 33:46 10k 1:09:46
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,002 Member
    Options
    SusanDSME wrote: »
    11/11 -2.25 mi
    11/12 -1.5 mi plus 1 mi jog (didn't count jog)
    11/13 -1.5 mi plus 1 hr strength training and 25 min on stationary bike (5.3 mi)

pubfbom00o0p.png
    Anybody else having trouble with their ticker? I added my mileage, it looks right, and then when I copy the code, it comes up with yesterday's figures. I copied the image and pasted it here, but it's obviously not ideal.

Sometimes it doesn't update right away, but eventually it will.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for November

11/1 5 miles - 5
    11/2 8 miles - 13
    11/3 REST DAY
    11/4 11.5 miles - 24.5
    11/5 REST DAY
    11/6 Lightening (no running)
    11/7 8 miles - 32.5
    11/8 4.75 miles - 37.25
    11/9 8 miles - 45.25
    11/10 REST DAY
    11/11 14 miles -59.25
    11/12 REST DAY
    11/13 7 miles - 66.25

exercise.png

Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/29 << 4:09:59

Upcoming races:
    Oak Barrel Half Marathon - 4/7/18

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    Today was strength training in the morning and the official start of Strong Curves. I've been reading and trying out some of the exercises and today I started on one of the plans in the book. I am not following it exactly -- author says you must eat properly and shouldn't do as much cardio as I do, but I'm hoping it will make me stronger anyway. I eat pretty well... but I'm not giving up chocolate or wine. Or running or cycling!

@ddmom0811 - Needing to eat well enough is non-controversial, but on the cardio you have to bear in mind where the author is coming from. My best guess is that this is a strength training plan, possibly with overtones of body building. As such, the recommendation will be for maximum strength. To get that, you don't optimize for running or cycling. Hence, the recommendation to do less cardio, which works a little bit contrary to maximizing pure strength.

A few years ago, I regarded weight lifting as my primary fitness activity. The sources I read all said to lift before doing cardio. Guess what? The sources I now read about running and cardio say to run or do your cardio before lifting! (Supposedly this is better for weight loss, though my goal right now is maintenance.) My conclusions: Do the most important thing first. Decide what you want most, and keep that in mind. When I was lifting for pure strength, I worked my way up to squatting 3x10 at 170 lbs. Of course my legs would be a little sore the next day; that's why you only lift 3 days a week. Now, with my major goal being to support my running, I squat 3x10 at 75 lbs. The next day I do kettlebell swings and snatches at 40 lbs. 2 days a week, I give myself a break from squats, swings, and snatches. And this doesn't make me sore like lifting for maximum strength did. Consistency is more important that going heavy, when my major goal is to support my running.
    bjderhak wrote: »
    Going to add some hill training 1 day a week and be more consistent with strength training my legs as well. When I get tired on runs its always my leg muscles that want to give out before my heart/lungs so I am assuming that means they need to be stronger. Thoughts?

@bjderhak - Either you need to be stronger, or some of the time you need to run harder. Running hills is good. Strength training to support running is good, but see my comment above. Consistency is more important than intensity. When lifting for strength, I worked up to 40 lbs. doing walking lunges. To support running, body weight walking lunges are good enough; but I need to do them more often than I did the walking lunges with a pair of 20 lb. dumbbells when I was more focused on weight lifting.

OTOH, I do single leg calf raises on the step with much heavier weight than I did when I was focused primarily on weight lifting. I really need those calves for running, and if I do them barefoot they also work some important extrinsic foot muscles. As a weight lifter, those muscles weren't sexy because I didn't need them as much to support squats, deadlifts, and so on.
    I'm not one to think too far in the future, but in the unlikely event after the HM in December I wanted to do a full, how different is training for a "trail 26.2" different from a "pavement 26.2." I'm looking at some races, but the one that would fit best in the timing is on a trail. Most of my training won't be on trails, although I can make sure my long run is on trail..

Suggestions?

@fitoverfortymom - I'd suggest you try some shorter trail races in the interim to see what it's like. Personal experience of say, a 10K trail race compared to a 10K road race, should give you something of an idea of how a longer trail race compares to a longer road race. And if you can run a half marathon on the road, you should be able to complete a 6 to 8 mile trail race easily enough to take note of how it differs from road racing.

This is sound advice. My personal running journey is far from normal
  • fithealthygirl
    fithealthygirl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

Brrr cold run this morning, but felt good to be outside!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

Suggestions?

Definitely see if you can get some shorter races on trails.

Just one thing - if you don’t have easily accessible trails near you, you’ll have to search plenty of them out as once you step over to the dark side there’ll be no going back. >:)
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Holy crap. Been offline a bit and come back to 250 missed posts here. I won't be able to catch up. LOL

11/4 2.35
    11/5 3.0
    11/13 2.5

Total 7.85/20

So when I started out on my run there was a helicopter flying over my neighborhood. Kind of wondered if there was something going on, as it's not normal, had a funny feeling about it but run anyway. Hear sirens off and on throughout my run but I live across from a police station... not that unusual. Get home and open facebook. A 12-year-old boy was shot nearby. It just gives the crossroads but I was right in the area.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 Wow, that HM time is incredible, and with so little speed work; awesome run!
    @katharmonic Congrats on your HM, and yeah, those two bites of the donut probably ruined everything, lol.
    @SusanDSME Great job on a significant improvement in just six weeks!
    @RunRachelleRun Fantastic race, and congrats on the PR!
    @shrcpr That's a superb time for your first HM! Many congrats; sounds like you had a lot of fun!
    @eponine1984 Yeah, the downside of getting fitter is that you need to run harder and/or longer to burn the same amount of calories that you did when you first started out; it sucks, lol.
    @bjderhak Congrats on your 10k; even if you fell short of your goal, it's still a terrific achievement when you factor in the fact that you're in the midst of training.
    @MobyCarp Excellent race report, great pictures, and fantastic running as usual.
    @Teresa502 Sorry to hear about your friends, but congrats on what must have been an emotionally tough race.
    @RunsOnEspresso Holy cow!

Today was another easy run as I continue to nurse the shin. The compression sleeves that I ordered over the weekend arrived, so I'll retape everything before putting the the calf sleeve on. One of the sleeves (BeVisible) is a lot tighter than the other sleeves (Zensah), so I may run in the Zensah and wear the BeVisible for recovery throughout the day.

01 - 12.90
    02 - 7.91
    03 - 14.43
    06 - 8.26
    07 - 10.47
    08 - 8.56
    09 - 10.55
    10 - 15.38
    13 - 8.49

Total: 96.95 / 175 miles
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Holy crap. Been offline a bit and come back to 250 missed posts here. I won't be able to catch up. LOL

11/4 2.35
    11/5 3.0
    11/13 2.5

Total 7.85/20

So when I started out on my run there was a helicopter flying over my neighborhood. Kind of wondered if there was something going on, as it's not normal, had a funny feeling about it but run anyway. Hear sirens off and on throughout my run but I live across from a police station... not that unusual. Get home and open facebook. A 12-year-old boy was shot nearby. It just gives the crossroads but I was right in the area.

ACK!!!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    1/01 - Sick, forced rest day
    11/02 - 9 miles
    11/03 - 10 miles
    11/04 - 12 Miles @ 9:16
    11/05 - 11.5 miles @ 9:26
    11/06 - 6 Easy Miles
    11/07 - Missed Run
    11/08 - 8 Easy Miles @ 9:08 pace
    11/09 - 10.5 easy miles @ 8:59 pace
    11/10 - 7 Slack off miles @ 9:38 pace
    11/11 - Laser Tag, Mini Golf, and etc - aka "Cross training"
    11/12 - 12 miles @ 9:41
    11/13 - 11 miles @ 9:48

Big Hary Audacious Goal: Sub 4 hours in Pittsburgh 2018!

Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

Thanksgiving morning - Turkey Trot - Double Gobbler! (5K + 5 miles)
    12/02/17 - Santa 5k
    05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.
    05/12/18 - Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Ultra (or maybe 30K Still debating)

2020 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

So pretty uneventful run but I had to cut it short at 11 miles because my foot starting hurting. I think I have a new blister. Might be time to retire my shoes... they have over 800 miles on them now. *sigh*

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    11/13 - 1 mile walk, 3 mile run, 1 mile walk

Today's flat run felt harder than hills on Saturday. Go figure.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom - that larkspur race I showed you pictures of might be a good bridge between road and trail. Nothing too terribly technical - providing you don't pick the one year with 12 inches of snow... like I did... but they have a variety of distances to pick from as well - 4mike, 8 mile, 25k, and 50k.

@ddmom0811 - my experience with both lifting and running is it will make you stronger, you just need to be ok with the results. Calories can only go so many places. Sometimes my lifting would make me sore for a run, but it was ultimately making me a stronger and better and quicker runner. I actually had more issues from running making me tight for lifting. Squat depth is still a challenge. But I was not increasing weight very often on my lifts. Particularly not when I was seriously training for my half. Since having been on my current reduced (practically none) running restriction I have added 100lbs to my deadlift in like 4 months, not to mention other lifts. When trying to accommodate both, I was lucky if I could add 5lbs a month. So yeah, I would have in your head which is the priority - like if ya only have time/energy for one, which one wins. And don't be discouraged if it doesn't seem like you make progress very often on the lifts, I promise you are still doing great.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

@MNLittleFinn - I think that the quantity vs. quality argument is there in road racing too. I personally feel like I get the most out of those really hard workouts, so I keep my overall mileage lower and focus on getting in really good speed sessions (when I am actually training, that is :) ). But I also know plenty of runners who consistently bang out 60-80 mpw and perform great in races too. I think it's just a matter of figuring out what works best for you.
    Yeah. I'm hoping that this training cycle helps me figure that out. Since trail doesn't pound you as much as road, you can kind of get away with lower mileage in training, if you are willing to suffer during the race.....
    ...... I had decent mileage (mid 50s per week) for my 100k, which wasn't really any more than for my marathons. My max for 100 miles will be similar, but a greater emphasis on the quality, from the get go. I know I could have been better prepared for my 100k, but it wasn't too bad, so I'm thinking that the programming for 100 miles should be good.

Yeah for me, I am all about more miles for a couple reasons:

1) Simplicity. I do not need a track, a measured course, or really anything beyond my iPhone (though I do have a Garmin 935). In a pinch do not really even need that, just be impossible to log much in the way of accurate anything without it.

2) Flexibility. I look at the clock and say, "I got couple hours - lets hit the hilly course" or "I got 90 mins tops, run the 6-8 mile flatter loop an get back on time" -- If I had set workouts, I could not flex like that as easily.

3) Slap on an audiobook and go. Once your left-right-left-right starts you do not really have to worry much about what you are doing, you can just enjoy the run.

Now I do sometimes do random unscheduled unmeasured sprints midrun and sometimes do "fast finish" (where you pick up the pace for the last mile or 3). But I always decide to do those on the fly while running.

Others like the fancy workouts. I am sure they are great, and I would probably gain a lot for them, but if I had to do them... I would probably give up running. The "get out there and just go" is the why I do this. Anything that takes away from that is a bad thing (TM).

IMO, IME, YMMV, and all other disclaimers apply. :lol:

You aren't as OCD about running as @JessicaMcB and me is all running to my full potential is a priority for me. Getting up at 0400 means there no time related excuses... 4 hours sleep plus coffee and I'll get through the day..... A programmable Garmin makes a track a nice but not needed luxury. I love running in and of itself, but it has to be guided, which is why I'm looking at possibly 4 ultras for 2018.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I finally found out a bit more. The 12-year-old was shot in the leg and police think it was self-inflicted since he is refusing to cooperate with them. Although my cynical/true crime/works somewhat in criminal justice mind goes to or he is afraid of who shot him. Still scary!