Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• jamesakrobinson
    jamesakrobinson Posts: 2,149 Member
    edited November 2017
    Ok... Just pick your adjectives a little more objectively. I'll try not to be such a delicate flower. LOL
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Haha If you liked debating that, how's this for stirring the pot.

There are only two valid reasons for a human to run. (from an evolutionary standpoint at least but probably could be extrapolated to today)

1) to catch food
    2) not to BE food

And go! (this is bound to be REALLY unpopular!)

Well to be unpopular a statement has to be both dumb and controversial. Your first one qualified...this one is more just dumb.

I take this as an uncalled for personal attack and also dispute it thoroughly. I submit to you that contrary to your statement, dumb opinions tend to be the MOST popular. I give you politics, get rich quick schemes, and 6 days to a six pack programs/devices/diets as easily verified examples.

Why is it that so many people take offense when it's pointed out that they hold to dumb ideas?

It's the idea that's dumb. Not a personal attack.

A personal attack might be something related to how using a mirror selfie as your profile pic makes you look.

I refrained from actually making the personal attack, because I really don't want a warning today.
  • jamesakrobinson
    jamesakrobinson Posts: 2,149 Member
    edited November 2017
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    I just went for a run, and with this discussion in mind, was more aware than normal of what I was thinking and feeling. There were some elements of enjoyment involved, but that was mixed with a swirl of other things (stress, fatigue, anger, annoyance, exasperation, exhilaration, ambivalence, etc). If I had to describe it with one all-encompassing word, it would be "satisfaction". I was satisfied with what I was doing throughout, regardless if I was hitting PRs or not (not), or that it was 40 degrees outside, or that the pavement was wet and my feet were getting soaked, etc. I was satisfied that I was outside, elevating my HR, and adding to my mileage total for the month.

Satisfaction is the motivation, not enjoyment. That also describes strength training- it is minimally enjoyable but very satisfying, and that is what motivates me to consistently do it.

Well said (except... Running lol)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited November 2017
    I just went for a run, and with this discussion in mind, was more aware than normal of what I was thinking and feeling. There were some elements of enjoyment involved, but that was mixed with a swirl of other things (stress, fatigue, anger, annoyance, exasperation, exhilaration, ambivalence, etc). If I had to describe it with one all-encompassing word, it would be "satisfaction". I was satisfied with what I was doing throughout, regardless if I was hitting PRs or not (not), or that it was 40 degrees outside, or that the pavement was wet and my feet were getting soaked, etc. I was satisfied that I was outside, elevating my HR, and adding to my mileage total for the month.

Satisfaction is the motivation, not enjoyment. That also describes strength training- it is minimally enjoyable but very satisfying, and that is what motivates me to consistently do it.

I can get with this. Well said!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

This perfectly describes my experience running as well.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I'm a weirdo that enjoys working out. I enjoy finding my physical limits. I enjoy those days where you just feel like you could do anything. Of course there's the odd crap day but most of the time, making myself feel like i might die is my happy place.

As to juggling being an olympic sport, that's also in rhythmic gymnastics. They have the hoop, clubs, ball and ribbon. I wasnt a rhythmic gymnast though so no epic juggling skills here, I was pretty handy with a hula hoop back in the day though.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    If an activity can be 'exercise' but you do it for fun (as in you'd do it even if it didn't provide the benefits of exercise) is it still exercise?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

It sometimes describes mine. At other times, it is genuinely enjoyable throughout. I was out visiting my mother who is sick on Saturday and in the morning I took a quick break and went running on a trail (in a beautiful area I am not always in) and ran just for run and relaxation -- passed lots of people and dogs on the trail, said hi, listened to an interesting podcast plus some music, and did my planned 6+ miles. It was hilly, which I am not used to. I ignored speed and just ran for fun/de-stressing, as well as because it was on my schedule, but ended up doing about the speed I'd intended to. That it was fun (and necessary for my mental health) doesn't make it less a "workout" than if I'd ground it out on the treadmill (which I'm not a fan of).

Similarly, I schedule runs at this time of year, when home, to end around the time the sun comes up, because that feels amazing to me. Sometimes the run is fun, sometimes it's not really (although I still feel good when it's done), doesn't mean it's not a workout (I know you aren't saying otherwise).

I lift on my own, don't love it, don't hate it, satisfaction is a good word for it. But when I was learning I took an olympic lifting class that a couple of friends were in and although I was often VERY frustrated with the lifting the class was a blast and the learning was exciting and I looked forward to it. It was, genuinely, enjoyable.

Then again, I also think it's possible and not uncommon to actually enjoy working.

Yes, I always feel satisfaction but I do often feel pure enjoyment as well -- usually related to the joy of being outdoors or when it feels like my whole body is getting into the run. So the enjoyment is often there, but when it isn't, I can still rely on the satisfaction. Even when I get a side stitch or it rains on me and my socks get wet or the humidity is too high, I can still count on satisfaction in the face of a run that wasn't enjoyable while it was happening.

If I didn't feel the enjoyment at least a portion of the time, I would probably choose another activity. I think life is too short to do exercise you don't enjoy (unless you truly have tried everything, hate it all, and then you just gotta treat your exercise like a dose of nasty medicine).

I think that if I could take a pill to achieve/maintain fitness, I would probably be through with the gym, but would still run. There are moments when running transcends merely being exercise and becomes more like therapy/church, which I can’t say about lifting.

Yes, I think of it more like meditation, but this really resonates with me. It "cleans" my mind up, makes me calmer.

If I could take a pill instead of resistance training, I would do that for sure. But I can't imagine giving up running.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

It sometimes describes mine. At other times, it is genuinely enjoyable throughout. I was out visiting my mother who is sick on Saturday and in the morning I took a quick break and went running on a trail (in a beautiful area I am not always in) and ran just for run and relaxation -- passed lots of people and dogs on the trail, said hi, listened to an interesting podcast plus some music, and did my planned 6+ miles. It was hilly, which I am not used to. I ignored speed and just ran for fun/de-stressing, as well as because it was on my schedule, but ended up doing about the speed I'd intended to. That it was fun (and necessary for my mental health) doesn't make it less a "workout" than if I'd ground it out on the treadmill (which I'm not a fan of).

Similarly, I schedule runs at this time of year, when home, to end around the time the sun comes up, because that feels amazing to me. Sometimes the run is fun, sometimes it's not really (although I still feel good when it's done), doesn't mean it's not a workout (I know you aren't saying otherwise).

I lift on my own, don't love it, don't hate it, satisfaction is a good word for it. But when I was learning I took an olympic lifting class that a couple of friends were in and although I was often VERY frustrated with the lifting the class was a blast and the learning was exciting and I looked forward to it. It was, genuinely, enjoyable.

Then again, I also think it's possible and not uncommon to actually enjoy working.

Yes, I always feel satisfaction but I do often feel pure enjoyment as well -- usually related to the joy of being outdoors or when it feels like my whole body is getting into the run. So the enjoyment is often there, but when it isn't, I can still rely on the satisfaction. Even when I get a side stitch or it rains on me and my socks get wet or the humidity is too high, I can still count on satisfaction in the face of a run that wasn't enjoyable while it was happening.

If I didn't feel the enjoyment at least a portion of the time, I would probably choose another activity. I think life is too short to do exercise you don't enjoy (unless you truly have tried everything, hate it all, and then you just gotta treat your exercise like a dose of nasty medicine).

I think that if I could take a pill to achieve/maintain fitness, I would probably be through with the gym, but would still run. There are moments when running transcends merely being exercise and becomes more like therapy/church, which I can’t say about lifting.

That's how I feel about hiking and gardening, which are my chief means of activity.
This discussion has been closed.