November 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    No run today... think I got some bad food. Bah. Maybe tomorrow GI will settle down.

Put the hot dogs down my friend. :tongue:

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    9 miles last night. First run in 9 days. Though some soreness popped up towards the end...upper thigh and right hamstring...the run felt great. Kody wanted to go with me but I left him at home. His paws need more healing from the hunting trip.

vpjlh3dux740.jpg

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB I've never had a moose encounter (while running) but I did have this one time I was riding my bike, came around a corner and almost hit a black bear.... Good thing for me she decided to just scoot her cubs away rather than get all mama bear on me.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Scared the hell out of myself this morning when I turned a blind corner on trail and BAM! nearly ran full force into a *kitten* moose of all things. He didn't even seem terribly phased by me getting so close- he must hang out in that blind a lot :D

@JessicaMcB now THAT would be cool!

This reminds me about my run-in with wildlife last night! Around mile 3 I see a critter up ahead. It's pretty dark so I can't see it clearly but I figure it's a rabbit since we have thousands around here. It doesn't hop away right away, and now I can see it's darker than a rabbit, so now I'm thinking it's a cat.

I get about 4 feet away from it before it finally starts to scurry off the path. Holy *kitten*! It's a damn skunk!!! I'm grateful it decided to get out of my way rather than stand its ground.

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Rough morning. Headache, stomachache, feel like I need 3 more hours sleep. I was gonna suck it up on being tired but enough is enough and maybe my body is just telling me no today :D

I could wind up running afternoon or evening, but if not then I'll make up today on Sunday.

• BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB @MNLittleFinn @7lenny7 Wow! Not sure how I'd deal with any of those critters. I get panicky when I come across wild turkeys.

Cute bat @girlinahat
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @Dazzler20 thats a wicked goal, is Firenze a fast and flat? I feel you on working around perpetual shin splints- my shins are fine but my piriformis is forever shot to *kitten*.

(It's @Dazzler21 :wink:)

Yes I have heard it's relatively fast & flat - However with a lot of cornering - I expect a PB though as I have only ever run one once before and I had screwed my IT band up by over training for that.

A review from a tech geek.
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/12/florence-marathon-perhaps.html

From average joes
    http://www.marathonguide.com/races/MoreReviews.cfm?MIDD=1241171126&Page=2

and Map and route gradient etc
    http://www.firenzemarathon.it/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=97&Itemid=168&lang=en
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,973 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ My run yesterday was like that. I was not feeling it all day, but when I got out there I had one of the most enjoyable runs I have had in a while.

@JessicaMcB and @mnlittlefinn Those are some scary critters. I usually only have to worry about rattlesnakes and skunks. And as long as you don't step on the snake he's not going to come chasing after you.
  • bjderhak
    bjderhak Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ great you got outside and felt good. hopefully you remember that run the next time you are talking yourself out of a run :)

@JessicaMcB wow!! More power to you girl, im cold just thinking about temps like that!!Good luck on your race.

No moose down here in fl, but I have seen a few gators while out and about. They are actually quite boring and dont pay any attention to anyone. What you need to look out for are the Sandhill Cranes. (like 6 foot tall birds). Sometimes they like to make a few hops in your direction with their huge wings spread out and try and scare you off.. lol plus they have like long spikey beaks that you do not want to get close to.

5 miles on a hilly out and back. Trying to increase the difficulty of my Friday run and work the muscle a bit. I have a question tho... If I am breathing hard on the uphills, does that mean I have entered the anaerobic part of a workout and is this detrimental to marathon training?
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,708 Member
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »
    November goal 100miles, at least 1mpd
    @Teresa502 please read my profile: best thoughts on your bittersweet run...
    Thanks for sharing that with me. I'm so very sorry for the loss of your son. I've never lost a child (never had any) but I think that is the hardest loss of all.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    bjderhak wrote: »
    5 miles on a hilly out and back. Trying to increase the difficulty of my Friday run and work the muscle a bit. I have a question tho... If I am breathing hard on the uphills, does that mean I have entered the anaerobic part of a workout and is this detrimental to marathon training?
    You might not be in the anaerobic zone. On my hard hills on trail, I'll be hiking, with a HR well below anaerobic and be breathing hard. if it's just on uphills, it shouldn't be an issue. Hills are harder, so you will be working harder. if your overall pace/HR/breathing is easy, you're fine.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Rest day, not completely scheduled but I will run tomorrow.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I wanna go run today. It's gonna be 80F and windy, gusts up to 50 mph... I just need to borrow someone's good right hip. :smirk:

The YMCA has been painted inside.. now if they'll just get some water in that damn pool!
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Got up to run today since I skipped out of Tuesday. And I wanted to loosen up the legs from the fast paced run yesterday. The house and car thermometer said 40F so I dressed accordingly. But after heading down the mountain, the car thermometer read 34F. Big difference! Fortunately I haven't cleaned the car out this week and I still had an oversized hoodie in the back seat. I wore it until 1.5 miles in, then I had to strip it off. But I'm glad I went.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Moose? Bears? All I ever encounter is house cats. And sometimes dogs.

Oh and flocks of birds that feel straight out of a scene from The Birds.
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Not going as good as I planned but here I am.

November Running Challenge
    Goal: 90 km
    Ran: 32/90 km

16/11/17 Run 1 km
    15/11/17 Run 6+2 km
    14/11/17 Run 8 km
    10/11/17 Run 1 km
    9/11/17 Run 7 km
    8/11/17 Run 4 km
    7/11/17 Run 2 km
    1/11/17 Run 1 km
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    If my run crosses sunset, I kick up deer often. Have yet to be able to catch one though. They are a just a bit quicker than I...