WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Well I don't know who said it, but my boat has sunk too. Right now we are eating out or with friends and DH wants every possible treat he won't get for the next 3 years. And Thanksgiving is coming up. I have decided not to worry about it until I come back next Thursday then it will be time to focus on me. Take care to all! meg from Omaha
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,598 Member
    Options
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Thinking of you, Meg... and Allie.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Wet, rainy day here but horses and goats are fed. I got a new coat last week and it is truly waterproof. I like it. I see the pulmonologist tomorrow. The breathing has been going well so hopefully he will just check things out and I won't have to see him again for six months.

Kelly - Happy Birthday!!! You should be able to get a certificate of creditable insurance from your current company and change at any time not just now. We were able to do that with my DH when he changed from the school district to my hospital insurance. We just had to be able to show that he had been continuously covered.

Heather - Happy Anniversary!!! Looks like you will have a lovely celebration.

Allie - Sorry, it must feel like things are falling apart just when they were getting good. Keep up your spirits and believe things will work out.

Felicia - Wonderful pictures, looks like a lovely trip.

Meg - Thinking of you, hang in there.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,275 Member
    Options
    Meg - Hanging on is about all you can do right now. Don't worry about the small things. Just keeping going is a major achievement. Love you. <3<3<3

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Happy Universal Children's Day!

"You’ve heard so many people say it: children are the future. And whether you yourself have children or not, that still rings true. Today’s children are tomorrow’s scientists, politicians, doctors and teachers. Today’s children will inherit all of what humanity has managed to accomplish since the beginning of its existence, both the good and honorable deeds and the cruel wars and terrible failures. It is the children of today that will be charged with protecting the weak and vulnerable of this world, and making even the hardest of decisions in order to do so. Who then, if not our children, deserves a holiday? This special day is dedicated to all of the children, so that they may enjoy these carefree years while they last and be ready for the responsibilities that await them. So let’s live it up, kids!"

Joyce - I was on the fence about Project Runway. To tell the truth, I'd have been glad to see any of them win. They all did interesting, creative work even thought I wouldn't wear most of it myself. The winner is a very conceptual artist, and I loved the drama of his runway show.

Lanette -"Last Hope Island" sounds really fascinating. Looks like our library doesn't have it so I put it on my Barnes & Noble wish list. Philip often gives me a B&N gift card for Christmas, and I use it to pick up stuff on my list.

Cheri - We'll have to meet up sometime! I'd like to start visiting more often, not just for the parties. On the way home, Philip and I discussed a long term plan that would involve trying to buy a house in Bryan to fix up and rent out until we are ready to retire, then renting or selling the one here and relocating to Bryan. I like Taylor, but I don't have friends here and I just feel better connected in Bryan.

Michele - I'm self employed so when I tell my boss to take a hike, it means something a little different!

Rye - I like the photo of the Peeps. They are such pretty colors! I don't care for them, but Philip's parents always put at least one in our Easter baskets. Most dogs love them - a lot of greyhound trainers use marshmallows as treats so the fosters always know what to do with them. :p

DrKatieBug - My favorite brussels sprouts recipe so far is Alton Brown's brussels sprouts with pecans and cranberries, at least in part because it's not just beautiful and delicious but it's also very quick to make on the stovetop.

Felicia - I'm so sorry about your sister. I've been enjoying your photos and hope you're able to find peace as you finish your trip and head home to handle matters there.

Sorry for the long post but hoo-boy, I had a lot of posts to catch up on! I'm being so virtuous today, even getting in a full pound of raw vegetables with my lunch. But I've got a lot to atone for after the weekend. Philip and Luna and I spent it at a sort of pre-Thanksgiving reunion my gang of college friends have been doing for 30-some years now.

Now we get three days at home, during which I've got a full work schedule plus shopping and cooking for my Thanksgiving assignments, then we set again at the crack of dawn Thursday. I'm to make cornbread dressing, cranberry salad, and a veggie side. I'll have to put it all together in Dad's tiny kitchen, so I need to make a plan for cooking as much as possible beforehand, then packing it in a cooler to be assembled and finished in Houston.

Everybody give yourself some time to play today!

-Yvonne in TX
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Ooops! I think the resident ogler contacted me. Deleted the message.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,138 Member
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »

Probably the same one that contacted me as well!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Becca: It sounds like you are beginning to feel a bit better. Yay!!! :flowerforyou:

Meg: You have made an excellent plan to cope with your circumstances. At this time you must take things one day at a time and do the best you can. It is the only possibility. We'll all be here cheering for you. :heart: :heart: :heart:

Has anyone heard from Lenora? I hope things are going okay for her. :flowerforyou:

Our holiday plans are to spend Thanksgiving with DH's sister and extended family. We enjoyed doing that last year BUT at this point we may stay home. Both of us have some sort of illness. I'm not able to warm up and I have a persistent headache. I think DH may be in the same situation. We love his sis and family enough that we don't want to take germs to them. We'll decide by the end of the day tomorrow.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." - William James

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,138 Member
    Options
    Katla- I hope you and your DH feel better so you can enjoy your Thanksgiving with family.

Carol- next time keep the message then you can block him or take a screenshot and report him. was it flexygeorge?
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I also blocked flexigeorge and some other guy, ugh

Janetr OKC
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    Me too on flexigeorge.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,742 Member
    Options
    well I am going to bed, took my meletonin and will try and sleep. here is hoping tomorrow is a better day.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,598 Member
    Options
    Tttttt
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »

Me too.... Something George? He said I was absolutely beautiful. My picture is an elk!! Haha!!!! Delete!!
    Becca
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,989 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Machka - such a gorgeous place you live. Corey and I are thinking about heading down to Myrtle Beach this weekend, as it's off season, and hotels cost very little at this time of year. Still tossing it around, but the idea of dipping my toes in the ocean, even at 60 degrees here (15 C) sounds wonderful.

Am back to work for two days, then five off for Thanksgiving--my council is very generous with time off, and since we're ordinarily off every Friday, gave us the Wednesday prior to the holiday. I'm very blessed with my job.

Speaking of which, Rori - I didn't realize the four-day workweeks were a council thing and not a GSUSA thing. I recommend the Friday off thing very highly, and hope you enjoy them enormously! Glad to hear you found another person who you like who can assist. I think of you often.

You should go! I love taking weekends away, even if the weather isn't brilliant. :)

When I worked for a local council, soon after arriving in Australia, we had a 9 day fortnight which was really nice ... plus the usual 4 weeks of annual leave, plus stats.

Now I've got the 4 weeks of annual leave and stats, of course, but I've had to sign up for a separate leave program to get an extra 10 days a year.

Of all the places I've lived, this is one of the more beautiful. Often, when I go out for a walk, I think that in the past, we've travelled some distance in order to be able to see what I get to see now on a regular basis. :) Who knows how long we'll be here, but I'll enjoy it while we are. :)

M in Oz