December 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,976 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    @JessicaMcB I've been waiting nervously to hear the scary but amazing story about how you got away from the cougar that turned your 100 miler into 131 km.

Blessedly short story. I saw him on the river line, he did not see me. There are at least 2 out there that we know of, I just was not chancing it where generally you won't know they have been stalking you until they are on top of you and you are 100% *kitten*.

So that's my story of being a *kitten* lol

I was wondering about that too. I am glad to know that even though you are a crazy runner, you are not, in fact, a crazy person. There will always be another day to run, but there is only one @jessicamcb.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options

A local town is having their inaugural half marathon and 5k in April 2018. Part of me wants to run the half. Part of me wants to improve and run a faster 5k. Part of me wants to be pregnant by then and who knows how much running I'll do.

Half marathon finishers get a medal and I do love shiny things. I think it would be amazing to say I participated in the first year and try to make it an annual thing. Decisions, decisions.

When do you have to register by? I'd say if you feel ready to take on the HM, then lace up & start training! There are plenty of training plans to follow, and any running will help you get better on a 5K. Then, decide later how you feel as far as the 5K or HM.

And, as far as hopefully being preggers, go for it! Unless there are some other health issues that you and your doctor discuss, most times they say go ahead & continue running as long as you have already been doing it.

Good luck on it all, don't put too much pressure on yourself!
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @sarahthes tell the Edmontonians I'll take their share of the ice :D . Everyone in town was complaining last night about the ice during the Santa Claus parade and I was standing there thinking "Chicka-chicka-yeah!"

@MNLittleFinn thinking good coach/wife thoughts for you and the race

Nice run this morning, weather was decent. More of a tempo run than a long run though given it was only a hair over 50k. Lots of shiny, shiny ice <3

December 1- 18
    December 2- 52

70/626km

2018 Races
    *Gord's Frozen A** 50K, February 19
    *JAJA Trail Marathon, April 1
    *Red Deer Marathon, May 20
    ???Lone Wolf Last Man Standing Race, June 17
    *Cactus Coulee Crawl 30km, TBA June
    *Eddie's Half Marathon, TBA June
    *Run in the Buff 120km TBA August
    *Lost Souls 100 Mile September 7
    ???Lewiston Trail Ultra September 29

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    New dilemma (apparently I don't have enough real worries in my life, I need to invent some).

A local town is having their inaugural half marathon and 5k in April 2018. Part of me wants to run the half (I'd need to start training like yesterday as I've only completed one 5k and my longest run to date is 4.5 miles). Part of me wants to improve and run a faster 5k (current best is 47:25, so shouldn't be too hard to get faster). Part of me wants to be pregnant by then and who knows how much running I'll do (husband and I are ready to start trying for bubba #2).

Half marathon finishers get a medal and I do love shiny things. I think it would be amazing to say I participated in the first year and try to make it an annual thing. Decisions, decisions.

IMO: Train for the half, it will make your 5k faster at the same time. If you get pregnant, then check with your doctor, but depending on the timing you might still be able to run the 1/2.
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    12/1 10.02 miles
    12/2 14.02 miles
    Awesome weather (for a few more days) Started around 39 F, came back it was about 54 F
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent you're really getting the speed going. That's awesome!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Finally joining! What a busy week! 192 posts or something in here.
    Need some spark notes!

12/1 - 1.5 miles #RWRunStreakDay9
    12/2 - 43 miles cycling + 1 mile #RWRunStreakDay10

Upcoming races:
    Daytona Beach HM - 2/4/19

exercise.png
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent you're really getting the speed going. That's awesome!

Thanks!

That course is probably the flattest 5k I run. The I think Garmin's reading of 62 feet is actually too many feets. So I knew it would be a good one for a PR attempt. :)
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Just killing it @PastorVincent - way to go!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Just killing it @PastorVincent - way to go!

Thanks!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    12/1 rest
    12/2 6 miles

I'm so excited I ran for an straight without waking!!!!

W00T!!!!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Um... so far 1/2 have given me approval for the additional race for 2018.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Third in Age Group, 40th overall! :D

You know what @PastorVincent - I think you are a winner after all!!! ;)

Excellent job!!!