December 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @JessicaMcB I'm old enough that gym was required all 4 years in high school. ha ha

@WandaVaughn where did you run again? BTW your running mate looks familiar.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @PastorVincent I may or may not be a terrible wife who teases her hunter husband about this all the time. He spent so much time in the bush this year and came up dry, meanwhile I'm literally trying not to trip on them. Great photo with Santa!

As well you should! :lol:
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options

@WandaVaughn where did you run again? BTW your running mate looks familiar.

@skippygirlsmom We ran on the trails at Cecil Ashburne somewhere between Huntsville and Hampton Cove. My running friend's name is Susan Woodworth. She ran the Galaxy of Lights 5K, also. She runs in lots of things!

• skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @WandaVaughn If not by name, definitely by face I know her.

Glad you enjoyed it!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @pastorvincent - BOOM!!!
    @rheddmobile congrats to you and your husband on an all-running 5k! Yeah, those clusters of walkers can really be annoying, particularly when they don't get how lining up further ahead than they should impacts others. I've finally come to the realization that I shouldn't be going for a PR in big races. On other hand, the energy of a big race is pretty cool, and having those kids to high five..Awesome!!
    @BruinsGal_91 very sorry to hear about your mom.
    @WandaVaughn glad you enjoyed your first trail run! Looks like an awesome place to run and your smiles are telling. That sounds like some pretty challenging vertical you ran. Trail running paces should be quite a bit slower than a road run pace. If they're too close that's a sign you're on a boring trail. I go from a typical road pace of 9:30 per mile to a range of 10:30 to 12:00 per mile, depending on the trail. And walking up steep hills...that's SOP, so no problem there.
    @JessicaMcB you need to get Boris up there to solve your moos problem. Then again, I guess he was never very succesful
    boris.natasha.rocky.bullwinkle.02.jpg

• ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Took the weekend off from running to let my still-slightly-sore shin rest. Was going to do my 5k after my weightlifting class today, but the treadmills that I like were all occupied. I tried to use one of the others, but my shin immediately lit up like it was on fire, so I gave up after all of 0.1 miles. Not sure why I have so much trouble with certain TMs, but at least I know when to stop.

I may go back down after work and give it another go. The gym is always dead quiet at 4pm...

For the record, I've been sticking with the treadmill lately, as I have been doubling up my workouts and can't waste time making my way outside and dealing with traffic over my lunch break. And if I run after work, there's no way I'm running outside. Downtown (where I work) has too heavy traffic at that time of day, and if I try to wait til I get home, it's already dark--with no sidewalks and no lights at all, I don't feel safe enough running down our country roads in the dark.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for December

12/1 5 miles - 5
    12/2 14.5 miles - 19.5
    12/3 REST DAY
    12/4 8 miles - 27.5

exercise.png

Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/29 << 4:09:59

Upcoming races:
    Oak Barrel Half Marathon - 4/7/18

• BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    You guys are the best. Thank you for all your lovely messages.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @7lenny7 I hope the knee is an easy fix. I’m sorry about Mom, it’s hard when they get older. Spaghetti, birthday cake, wine and beer sounds about perfect to me.
    @ceciliaslater has the shin been an issue since you started on the treadmill? Skip orthopedic as adamant for her to stay off the treadmill when she complained about her shins.

• hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    hope to catch up on these messages when the baby naps later on!

exercise.png

2018 Races:
    March - Philly LOVE Run Half Marathon
    April - Hot Chocolate 15K
    May - Broad Street 10 miler
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ I like the look of the pants. combining the 2 pairs was a great idea
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ I need to do the same thing with stretching. I have not been doing my PT as much and I would love to get back into Yoga more.
  • Luxyp
    Luxyp Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Ran 5 miles today. Total for December: 16 miles. 84 more to go
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ I love the pants like that too. I would have never known they didn't come that way. I was laughing when I saw the calorie count. My friends think that running 2 miles burns like 500 calories so they would die if they saw that.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    December Running Totals (miles)
    12/1 – rest day
    12/2 – rest day
    12/3 – rest day
    12/4 – 3.10 easy

December running total to date – 3.10

Nominal challenge goal: 80 miles

Real goals: Get healthy. Run 8K of cross country at Club Nationals on December 9. We don't need no steenkin' speed goals, just finish the race.

Today's notes – Where I left off my story last month, I ran 1 mile on November 30 and concluded that was too soon to come back. I resolved to start December with at least 3 rest days, and to take a rest day the first day I really felt like I could run.

Yesterday I really felt like I could run. I *almost* talked myself into going out for an easy 3 miles in the afternoon; then I thought about that mile on Thursday, turned on the NFL, and went for a nice 3+ mile walk when the Patriots-Bills game went to half time. Got back, and the second half had proceeded about the way I expected it to. I've lived in upstate NY for 26 years, and I'm thankful I never really became a Bills fan.

So this morning everything felt perfectly normal. Forecast was for great running weather in the afternoon, so I got out about 3:30. The plan was to run a fairly flat 5K route, and run no further no matter how good I felt. Well, I could feel the hurt thigh/quad/whatever it is from the first step. The ache faded and strengthened throughout the run; absent a race next Saturday, I might have decided to call it quits at 2 miles. But I kept going for the entire planned route. Got to 3 miles, and it was clear that 5 miles would be a bad idea; picked up the pace for that last tenth of a mile, but the leg wasn't really up to doing a true stride. Came in, stretched, and rolled it out. I feel the hurt spot walking now, though not as bad as before I rolled it. Tomorrow I'll find out whether I pushed too hard today.

On the bright side, I was able to run far enough to work up a sweat. It feels more like a real run if I've done enough to be worth stretching and showering. It would have been a really pleasant run if I had been totally healthy; from a cardio perspective, I could have gone for 10 miles. Oh, well. Running for 24 minutes beats not running at all, by a wide margin.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) short course, finished 4.34 miles in 27:51
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 33:25
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 30:59, PR for 8K
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:49:42
    April 30, 2017 USATF Masters 10K Championship (James Joyce Ramble, Dedham, MA) finished in 39:54, PR for 10K
    May 21, 2017 Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) finished in 40:04
    May 27, 2017 Canandaigua Classic Half Marathon (Canandaigua, NY) finished in 1:33:06
    June 9, 2017 Charlie McMullen Mile (Fairport, NY) finished in 5:44.90, PR for mile
    June 18, 2017 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) finished in 19:32
    July 4, 2017 Firecracker Four Mile (Fairport, NY) finished in 25:42
    July 15, 2017 Shoreline Half Marathon [1:40 pacer] (Hamlin, NY) finished in 1:39:05
    July 28, 2017 Karknocker 5K (East Rochester, NY) finished in 19:28
    August 9, 2017 Pound the Ground 10K (Mendon, NY) finished in 41:26
    August 12, 2017 Bergen Road Race 5K (Bergen, NY) finished in 19:47
    August 25, 2017 USATF Masters Mile (Hap Crim Michigan Mile, Flint, MI) DNS - injury
    September 3, 2017 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY) DNS - injury
    September 17, 2017 MVP Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    October 29, 2017 Pete Glavin XC Race #4 6K (Brighton, NY) finished in 25:32.8
    November 12, 2017 Pete Glavin XC Race #5 8K (Canandaigua, NY) finished in 34:42.6
    November 23, 2017 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY) finished in 41:53
    December 9, 2017 USATF Club National XC Championship 8K (Lexington, KY)

2018 races:
    January 1, 2018 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY)
    January 6, 2018 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY)
    January 13, 2018 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY)
    January 27, 2018 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY)
    February 17, 2018 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY)
    February 24, 2018 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY)
    April 16, 2018 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)