December 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - it's been a problem ever since I stubbornly ran on one of the "no" treadmills a couple weeks ago. My shin burned at first, but I pushed through, and the burning subsided. But when I finished the 3 miles and stopped, I could barely walk. My right foot was just kind of flopping, like my shin had gone numb and the muscle was not able to properly point and flex the toes. Next day, I had a sore spot on the inside of my lower leg, and that's what's still a little tender. Running on one of the good treadmills does not aggravate it, so I will stick to them or go outside from now on...
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Dec. 4 - 7km walk. Lots of Christmas lights and yard decorations.
    MTD - 12km/60km
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I did my 5k on a good treadmill after work. No issues at all, and finished in about 28:30. If I included my cool down jog at 5mph, i actually ran 3.5 miles. But I'll just stick with calling it 3.1 so I don't end up letting myself out of one of my 17 required 5Ks for the month...

6.2 of 50 miles complete.

Side note: how do I force my stupid Garmin to recalibrate for treadmill running? It thinks I'm doing 12 minute miles when I'm actually doing 9s... It's a vivoactive 3. I'll do some research myself on Google, but if anyone knows offhand, I'd appreciate the info
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Decembber goal: Keep kicking at Zumbro training
    Nominal mileage goal: Let's say 120?? I really don't know. Going for like 70% trail

12/1- 7.2
    12/2- 8.2
    12/3- 9.5
    12/4- 5.8

Total: 16.7

Today's notes: Today was supposed to be a rest day. Then the over night winter storm watch turned to a warning with 4-7 inches of snow and wind gusting up to 40mph...... With snow and heavy wind right when I'd normally be running in the morning..... So I got kitted up and went out to get in tomorrow's hill repeats tonight. Assignment was 5x2minute hill repeats with recovery being whatever time it took to get back to the bottom of the hill. I averaged 7:11 pace on the reps with, oddly, my first rep the slowest and my last the fastest... Good way to end the run.....

.... So now I'll be taking a "rest" day tomorrow, getting up at 0445 to try to shovel, assuming there's enough snow.... with my luck, We won't get the storm, and I'll have squandered my rest day for nothing...

Hope everyone had a Runderful day!

2018 races
    3/28- END-SURE 50k
    4/13- Zumbro Endurance Race 100 Mile
    5/19- Superior Trail 25k (Lottery)
    7/8- Afton 50k???
    9/8- Superior Trail 50 mile (Lottery)
    10/xx Wild Duluth 50k? 100k?
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    11/01/17 :::: 3.0 :::: 3.0
    11/02/17 :::: 9.1 :::: 12.1
    11/03/17 :::: 4.3 :::: 16.3
    11/04/17 :::: 3.0 :::: 19.4
    December goal = 93 miles

Late getting out of work today, so I couldn't get to my run group workout. I decided to "keep my options open" and take the route home which goes past the Y. And somehow I managed to talk myself into stopping and getting on the treadmill for another 3 miles. Which is a good thing, because I can. not. stop. eating. today.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    12/1 - 4.2
    12/2 - 2.5
    12/4 - 3.3

December total: 10.0/ ???

My goal for today was to run slow enough that my heartrate stayed in the Fitbit "cardio" zone, since Friday and Saturday were both in the "peak" (>85% of what it assumes is my max heart rate). I was successful, but that dropped my speed down to 14m22s miles. Alas! And then I got this crampy twinge in my right arch that just would not go away, so I ended up walking the last mile, but that was okay, because the next uphill was straight into the 20mph headwind.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    It's 38F and pouring raining. Just a few more degrees lower and it will turn into beautiful snow and I can go run, hopefully in the next hour or so.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    So, I’m a little behind and don’t have anything resembling a goal... but... I am on the board within week 1 for the first time in a while... with a whopping 1 mile instead of the 3 I had kinda planned on... but 1 beats nothing.

Also @MNLittleFinn - if it makes you feel better... I was sporting one heck of a shiner for about 2 weeks back in September ... not from running into a tree in the running sense of the word.... but running into a tree while walking with ADD.... was one of my more impressive “ooooo shiny.... *klunk*” moments I’ve actually had in my life, which is saying a lot.”
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was an unplanned rest day, still felt stressed from lack of sleep on race day. Today was a lifting day at the gym plus rowing. Hoping to run tomorrow!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    6.94 km I ran out 3.5km, turned and returned home, so theoretically it should be a 7km jaunt.
    Stopped my Garmin in the dark on the Riverbank Trail. Walked home as a cooldown. When I got in the door and could finally see - 60m short of 7 km. A slow run along the Riverbank trail. Foot packed so very un-even and unstable. A challenge for the ankles.

12/03 9.5 km – YTD 1253.77 km
    12/04 6.94km – YTD 1260.71 km

exercise.png
  • Jettaska
    Jettaska Posts: 16 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Dec 2 6.5 km
    Dec 3 6.5 km
    Dec 4 6 km

exercise.png

My snowman just stands still even if it should be at nineteen and 81 to go.
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Can't seem to get my ticker to update correctly. Maybe it's my phone. Lol. Anyways, was feeling motivated so I went out for a short little 1.5mile jog for a total of 3.7mi today. Super pumped for tomorrow's run.
  • penko47
    penko47 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

Moving in the right direction. Thursday I have decided will be a time treadmill 5k.
  • RulaAsaad
    RulaAsaad Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You guys are all so awesome! I gotta admit I feel like cat thrown into the middle of group of lions :#
    I hope to reach your level of fitness and motivation!

@RunTimer If I had a view like that anywhere near me I wouldn't get inside the house!
    @_Nikki_ Love your creativity!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    yay I went for a run this morning!! Only a couple of miles, and I took an extended walk break because I saw the elderly gentleman I've got to know walking and thought it was time for a catch up rather than just a wave as I run past. Sometimes it's a sacrifice a run to have a chat day and that was today. He's feeling on top of the world after his stroke and off a lot of medication. Glad I stopped.

Am debating signing up for another crossfit session tonight. But I'm putting up the tree tonight and have to go to an agricultural store to get guinea pig bedding so fitting that in as well might be a tall order. First world problems.....
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @HonuNui - I find myself eating Christmas cake well past Easter. When my mum makes fruit cake it's basically fruit bonded together with a small amount of cake mixture. Dark and yummy. Christmas cake of course is made in about October and soaked in brandy frequently, so rarely dries out......

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    12/01 - Intentional rest day
    12/02 - Run Santa Run 5k - 22:11 PR!
    12/03 - 13.5 miles @ 9:24
    12/04 - unplanned rest day

Big Hary Audacious Goal: Sub 4 hours in Pittsburgh 2018!

Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

12/02/17 - Santa 5k
    05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.
    05/12/18 - Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Ultra (I must hate myself)

2020 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    8 miles this am. Reasonable 9:30 pace. Rain in forcast for Wednesday.

exercise.png